1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency kit foods- Shoebox pantry challenge

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by madkins007, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

all excellent points greenmountainbooks.

And after tasting the first can of vienna sausages, those won't be opened again until im starving :p

2. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

:shrug: why's everyone so down on the Vienna Sausages? other than the ingredients, the taste, the lack of health benefits....they're not so bad. LOL

HeavyHauler likes this.
  3. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

One other thing...if the concentrated mincemeat does not work for you (I guarantee you will not eat it except in an emergency, it is also in a very good container, really durable) then try making dried fruit pemmican. I used it when backpacking.
    The basic recipe is: dried fruit, grated coconut, honey or syrup. Optional: dried (i.e. chipped) dried chipped beef, chocolate (or other flavored) morsels, soy nuts or regular nuts). The best fruits are dried apples, dried peaches, dried pears, dried aprocots. Pineapple and papiya do not work...too fibrous.
    Grind your mix of dried fruit, neither very fine nor too course. Mix with the coconut and honey which will help bind it (and of course other options, finely chop the beef if you choose it). You may need to add a little liquid for handling, I use juice; you can use wine or water. I mold the mess into a buttered brownie pan, thickness as desired, I use like 3/8", chill and cut into rectangles of chosen size. At this point the pemmican will still be sticky from the honey. Coat the squares in your choice of grated coconut and/or powdered sugar or, I suppose chopped nuts. You will need to dry them a bit more before sealing, preferably in a heat sealed, vacuum sealed bag. Wrap them individually before putting them in the bag or they will weld together. Put them in a tin if you are going to car-carry them. Otherwise store in the refrigerator or freezer.
    You need to dry these a bit more for the liquid in the honey and/or juice to leave them for maximum none-perishability. I suppose you can speed the process in a very low oven for an hour or more or a food dryer will work.
    If sterile conditions are used in prep, they do not mold or spoil, although ants will pursue them if they catch a whiff. Nuts will eventually go rancid. If you want protein, the toasted soy nuts are probably better, although they too have a high oil content. I eat neither so my experience with them is limited.
    These are also useful for backpacking. Enjoy.

4. n2topfuel

n2topfuel Loaded Pockets

Hey jegrundh - very nice ! the pictures sure show that it can be done. many thanks

5. concho

concho Loaded Pockets

Late to this thread but I haven't seen anyone mention instant mashed potatoes. The flavored ones only need water. Comes in two sizes family or individual. Found a variety sampler the other day 12 pack in 4 diffrent flavors for only $3.00

6. Geargrrl

Geargrrl Empty Pockets

Instant mashed potatoes also work really well to thicken up stuff you've added too much water to, or to soup to make it more hearty. I'm also a big fan of instant stuffing for a quick, lightweight starch.
    You can make instant pudding by shaking it up in a Nalgene bottle, and the slight pistachio flavored water you get the next day isn't half bad :)

HeavyHauler likes this.
  7. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Check the storage time on the new MRE's. They aren't C rats that are good from WW2 on.

8. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Let's make this a little tougher. Do the same for 2 adults and 5 kids. Picking foods they will eat in a stressful (just without daily inoculation of cartoons) situations will be a challenge.

9. robbyy

robbyy Loaded Pockets

At the risk of sounding like a smart-***, just buy a tub of Crisco and a bottle of multivitamins.

10. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

We really do not have enough criteria for a really good answer. All of the responses have a good point, but: is the food supposed to taste good or just sustain? is it for one night or more? will you have to cater to others tastes? Will you recycle by eating or by tossing?
    High on my list would be peanut butter (full fat, but non-seperating for longer life), some kind of hard bread, some kind of summer sausage in good packing(pepperoni or similar if you cannot find other), some kind of heat tolerant sweet, foil packets of tuna, dried beef, salmon, etc. I have seen envelopes of sliced salami and such for $1 per envelope. You would probably get one sandwich out of one envelope.
    If you are leaving it in a car, you must deal with the intense heat of summer (it is now 96 degrees outside my New England door as I type, at least 25 degree hotter in my vehicle), the cold of winter (-25, with package failure/splitting).
    For your amusement: I used to buy a package of "industrial doughnuts" (pre-packaged doughnuts covered in 'chocolate flavored' coating) every Dec. and they were good until spring as long as the chocolate flavored paraffin coating was not broken! They even tasted good...sort of. I have eaten many of them when caught without a meal.
    Remember my earlier comment re: concentrated mincemeat. I still have boxes of it (about the height and width of a cigarette pack, 50% thicker) that are still good from the '80s, long after Miller moths and pantry beetles have made off with stores of cornmeal, flour and other starches. It seems the mincemeat packaging resists even the chewing of a pantry beetle.
    Oh...what about Nutella in the plastic jar? Hellishly high in calories and delicious. But how long would it last if you wanted something sweet?

HeavyHauler likes this.
  11. fisk-king

fisk-king Loaded Pockets

Very nice setup. I need to look into getting the Mountain House pouches. I have a few of their #10 cans which are pretty tasty ( beef stroganoff, yummm).

12. xxkid123

xxkid123 Loaded Pockets

shredded jerky, shredded wheat (i guess some stale and crunched up bread could work) and shredded dried fruit stuck together with animal fat (drench it in melted fat) worked for the last thousand years ;D then you need some water for all that fiber to expand in your stomach. plus, who doesn't like good jerky (biltong might work)?

13. pyrocord

pyrocord Empty Pockets

z o m b i e land FTW!

14. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

Wow! I cannot believe this thread is still running.

Since my last post on this thread I have "upgraded" my pack to the Spec-Ops Recon Ruck Ultra in coyote. I mainly made the change due to color. I was getting some strange looks with the woodland camo pack. This pack is billed by Spec-Ops as larger. It is somewhat larger and has some other benefits over the military issue alice pack. I particularly like the grab handle on the top. I miss the thin pouch in the top of the alice pack.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have compacted my shoebox kitchen to fit in a LA Police Gear Bailout Bag Jr.

[​IMG]

It is a tight fit for this bag at 10" x 8" x 4.5".

I have mad some additions and deletions to the contents. I have added the TVP sampler pack from Harmony House. TVP is textured vegetable protein (soy). Each vacuum sealed package contains 4 "servings" of dehydrated protein. They are easy to rehydrate and the nutritional content is decent. On the average, 10 grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs and the sodium is not too high. That makes 24 servings of protein in a very light and compact package. At this point I like the "bits" better than the "chunks". This may relate solely to my re-hydration procedure. I am still experimenting. They have a number of products that look promising.

[​IMG]

I have removed the McCormick tomato sauce and replaced it with the Harmony House dehydrated tomato powder. Big difference in the salt content. I have also added 6 packages of instant Gator-aide mix.

I have also added 2 one liter platypus collapsible canteens. These are essentially without weight until filled, take up almost no room, and screw directly onto my water filter.

[​IMG]

I have also added a Swedish Mora knife. Amazingly sharp and handy for such an inexpensive knife.

[​IMG]

HeavyHauler likes this.
  15. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

Just found this thread after searching high and low on another forum, and have since put together a kit for my car. Just one question though, do you guys keep water with the kit or keep them separate? Since this food kit will be in my car, I have about (depending on how long I go without restocking) 2-16 .5L water bottles stashed all over. Currently I got two bottles in my container, but I don't know if I should keep them in there since they take up a lot of space.

16. WESBC

WESBC Loaded Pockets

This is what I came up with:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upon repacking this into the container, I have managed to squeeze in another water bottle. I know three bottles isn't enough, but I have about 20 or so bottles stashed around the vehicle. This leaves me with at least 3+7 (stashed in between the plastic and metal body panels) bottles that shouldn't be touched unless necessary.

HeavyHauler and antonic like this.
  17. hillbilly510

hillbilly510 Loaded Pockets

Nice set up you got there i would sugeat a small water filter and a colapsable watter jug and a mar pocket rocktlet stove and atleast a canteen cup to cook in or carry a cNteen and cup water storage Ne a means of cooking in a small ish package

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

18. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) If I may please, I'd like to revive this thread.

I keep two main emergency food kits - one in the house and one in the car. They each contain a stove (Jetboil in the car, butane stove in the house, both with extra fuel canisters) and bottles of water, plus a couple water pouches (retort packaging). All of the food gets cooked in a small pot (or Jetboil container) and eaten straight from there for from the small mess kit I have.

I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I also keep Pedialyte in my kits. They help with upset stomachs and will give you your electrolytes and all that fun stuff without the sugars of Gatorade/Powerade.

Also included are various packets of drink mixes (Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, Wyler's, Crystal Lite, Propel... that sort of stuff).

Food items:
    • tuna pouches
    • Spam Singles
    • Bumblebee tuna salad + crackers
    • crackers
    • instant pudding
    • instant noodles (favorite is Mi Goreng)
    • jerky
    • instant mashed potatoes (various flavors)
    • instant stuffing
    • Cup-o-Soup packets
    • mac n' cheese
    • trail mix 'n dried fruits
    • small cans of soup/spaghetti (like Spaghetti-Os)
    • Knorr's "Sides" (rice and noodles, various flavors)
    • fruit cups
    Condiment Packets:
    • salt
    • pepper
    • soy sauce
    • relish
    • mayo
    • sriracha
    • lemon juice
    • barbecue sauce
    • Tapatio hot sauce
    • Tabasco
    • various dressings
    • powdered creamer
    My two kits double as my camping kit and everything gets rotated every 6 months. Though all of these foods keep for much longer than that, it's nice to change the food out in case my tastes change. ;) Or if I find awesome new foods.
    Cheers!

HeavyHauler, ran23 and SAKplumber like this.
  20. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Nutella
    Graham crackers
    Peanut butter
    Chia Seeds (food of the Gods! packed with good stuff)
    Coffee (mas importante)
    Parmalat (boxed milk, long shelf life)
    Bread flour (make dough, wrap around stick, put near fire. great treat)
    Masa (arepas!)
    Pasta/noodles
    Rice, quinoa, or other grain
    Beans (dried or cans)
    Canned Tuna/salmon
    Tomato paste
    Chicken stock or bullion if lots of water available.
    A bottle of wine or favorite booze (you will thank me one day)

With this you can make a number of meals. Impressive, heart warming, morale boosting meals! Desserts as well!

i.e. spicy noodles in peanut sauce, traditional spaghetti, rice n beans, chicken noodle soup, dumplings, and spices to make a rub or dress up anything you may hunt.
    maybe pack a spice box as well, to make it interesting.

Cumin, corriander, granulated garlic, black pepper, salt, sugar, Italian herb mix, Dried Cilantro,Adobo, Sriracha!

HeavyHauler likes this.