1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency kit foods- Shoebox pantry challenge

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by madkins007, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Well i also forgot to throw in spices and tea bags and sugar bags, along with all types of condiments that you scrounge from places like gas stations and fast food joints along with cafeterias. I personally would throw the vienna sausages in either the instant rice stuff or the beans, one tin per. That way you never get nothing but vienna and the taste is slightly offset. Plus i would definitely fry them first, same with the spam. With the spam i'd probably slice it thin and then fry it and eat it with the mashed potatoes. This box is kind-of like a rough edit.

2. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

My stomach is doing flip-flops just thinking about vienna sausages....But I can eat "potted meat" which is like the pate' of the trailer park set....
    I didn't say I liked it, just that I can eat it... :laugh:

3. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

The Vienna sausages remind me of the 'frankfurters' in the MRE's we ate when I was in the military. They were only a little better. They came with powdered ketchup you were supposed to re-hydrate, but I'd just sprinkle the powder on them and eat them right out of the pouch. Later as I got a little better organized I always had hot sauce, mustard packets and a small stash of food in My support van. I was in Germany, so when we were on maneuvers we'd often trade MRE's with the local kids for real food. Once I got some great cheese, smoked sausage, hard rolls, a couple apples and some spicy mustard for one MRE.

4. FRagman1967

I had some of those MRE Franks, they were awful... but the MRE that made me ill more than any other was the Jamaican Pork Slice. The last time I got one I felt like hell for three days. I used to swap MREs with other Nation's troops who joined in on our SRT training camps. The German mealpaks had Noodles Mit Schwein Fleisch, and they were good! I really miss the dehydrated pork and burger patties the old brown-bag MRES from the 1980's. Those were great, Like a dry meat-cookie.

5. Urban Hermit

Oh Hell, I'd almost forgotten about those hockey puck burgers! LOL. if you actually tried to rehydrate them you risked getting tasteless meat soup. I succeeded in just the right amount of re hydration only a couple times and was able to put them on the crackers with the cheese spread. actually, not too bad. No, what made me sick was the Ham or turkey loaf. it was like really bad bad spam.

6. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

what about current MRE's? any good in those or am i going to have to make my own? :/

7. FRagman1967

I ate the puck-burgers dry! I still would love to find some of those.

8. FRagman1967

The new ones are really good! I like the cold weather MRE's, but you need water cuz everything is dehydrated, but they have tons of calories for hard work in cold climates. I tried one of the new MRE's that Cheaper than Diamonds sells, it's from some sniper-wanna-be company but they really load out each bag with lots of stuff.

9. Urban Hermit

My younger brother was in Iraq for two tours. He has more experience with the newer MRE's He gave me one that was black bean enchilada I think...it wasn't bad. And he says that there were some of the new ones that were really pretty good. But I couldn't tell you which ones.

10. Urban Hermit

Well, I have the food on hand to try to get into this contest, but I don't have a damned shoe box. LOL.

11. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

hahaha, yeah, i just decided to get off my butt and go out and get the stuff. Now i have meals for lunch lined up i guess lol. Going to use camping pots and pans over the woodstove to "simulate" outdoor cooking and will post results. I know technically its cheating but meh, its a lot less control than a normal stove and if i was really cooking in the woods i'd make sure to bring some nice baking potatoes and foil and stick those suckers in the embers. Few things are as good as a baked potato at the end of a long day outside (excluding of course meat... haha) but you get my drift. During the summer i will actually throw bakers on after im done grilling on our charcoal grill and the end product is simply AMAZING. Plus, you can always reuse a baked potato :) anyways, looking foreward to seeing what you will post WulfHermit and hope this helps madkins!

12. Urban Hermit

:censored:. you're making Me hungry. LOL. Another thing I've done is dice up the potatoes, some carrot, onions, even cut some ears of corn in smaller chunks and oil all that down with olive oil, a little salt and some basil and oregano, wrap in foil and sit on the grill to cook for about 45 min. So of course you'd need a little olive oil in your kit...little plastic squeeze bottles work good for that.

I want to do some experimenting too. There are alot of packages of biscuit mix, pizza dough mix and such that just use water. Of course you're supposed to bake them, but I'm going to see if they can be used to make some kind of flat fry bread. If I had the luxury of having a camp set up in whatever situation, I could probably build a makeshift oven. Or If weight wasn't such an issue I'd have a small dutch oven with me and I could easily do biscuits and flat breads.

13. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Jegrundh I love your kit but the only problem I would have with it is that I am allergic to those Gatorade packets. So, I would need an alternative. However, that was a very good project and helps turn the wheels. O0

14. FRagman1967

Hey all, I just bought two big bags of Walmart Trail Mix. Good mix of raisins, peanuts, almonds, cashews and M&M's.... Just one problem. They are salty as sin! You really need water (copious amounts) to make this a decent emergency food supply.
    The raisins seemed to have been soaked in brine! Mummy raisins!
    I think I'd prolly just mix up some of my own mixes from one of the bulk food shops. But I thought I would try the Walmart GORP, as it was the only thing on that shopping trip that wasn't made in China.

15. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

haha yeah, good call.

I'll do some follow up pictures of stuff i forgot to put in

16. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

Ive seen Propel in foil-tube packs, perfect for a 16-oz water bottle. Crystal lite as well, but I can't drink anything with Nutrasweet, so that's out.

I also picked up some individual-serving Jello pudding packets. You'd have to measure and bag up powdered milk, but it's a quick fix when you want to eat it--mix the pudding powder and milk powder in a ziplock, add water, shake, wait a few minutes, and cut the top off the bag to eat.

17. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

Something else that would work in the shoebox kit is flour or corn tortillas. No refrigeration needed until opened, and workable for things like peanut butter, tuna, canned chicken, and cheese-y food like Velveeta. I usually buy a pack to keep in my desk at work and don't refrigerate after opening them. I use up a 30-pack lasts in 3 to 4 weeks, never have problems with mold growing on them, etc.

Of course you can't buy a pack, toss them in the kit and forget about them for a year, (hmmmm might be a good experiment, just how long do these things last?), but I'm a firm believer in the "store what you use, use what you store" emergency food philosophy.

HeavyHauler likes this.
  18. FRagman1967

I hadn't thought about tortillas, that's a good thought!
    They pack a lot of food value, ie, starches, fats, etc. and for the space, a very sound idea!
    Thanks you!

19. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

I heat exclusively with wood and I often cook on my woodstove. I am compiling and testing recipes for the woodstove - in my free time for a cookbook. You should try sweet potatoes wrapped with foil and buried in the coals. I am also experimenting with a Coleman Camp Oven on top of the woodstove.

20. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Most of the foods advocated here would not keep indefinately in a vehicle. In the northeast cans or bottles could not be used whenever freezing threatens. I have had packets of crackers and the like attacked by ants.
    I have used dried bananas although I have since become allergic to them.
    I have also used small packets of extra concentrated mincemeat...one tiny packet expands to make a pie. On the basis of the old military theory that emergency food should not be too palitable least the solders/sailors snack on it, the mincemeat works. It is also extremely high in calories. It is also not tasty enough to be eaten unless you need to.