1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency kit foods- Shoebox pantry challenge

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by madkins007, Nov 10, 2009.

1. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

I have an electric range as well, but I watch the heat by the way the oil in the wok acts. It takes practice but the quality of the food is excellent!

2. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

May have to go ahead and get one then. I do enjoy a good stir fry.

3. Pyromaniac96

Pyromaniac96 Empty Pockets

In my experience, Sterno is an OK substitute. It's great to pack for an emergency where a compact camp stove wouldn't fit. You just need a little patience with it. It might take 5-10 minutes to boil a cup of water with a camp stove, it will usually take 15-20 minutes with a can of Sterno. If you're making rice, expect about 30-45 minutes with Sterno compared to maybe 15-20 with a camp stove. It's pretty compact, so just throw some in your car or where ever. It could turn out to be a lifesaver.

Back OT, whatever I pack I would throw in one of those little Tabasco sauce bottles. Really helps spice up bland food, and goes great with Spam/Vienna sausage.

4. FRagman1967

Yeah, I use only steel or Cast Iron, or clad stuff like the old Revere Ware that was thin steel with copper on the outside bottom. I prefer thicker steel though, as heat dissipation is not an issue, and nothing cooks like cast iron. I do use a little detergent to clean my iron, but I use a sissel whisk thingy to get out the grubby bits.

5. hillbilly510

hillbilly510 Loaded Pockets

im looking into getting my self a cast iron set ben looking at lodge. what do you sugest to me i dont have the slightest cle where to begin

6. Urban Hermit

Lodge is definitely the best. And you can get it pre-seasoned which makes things much easier. Though once you get it, rinse it out, dry it and rub some oil all over it before you start cooking. And the first few times you cook in it, use oil and avoid cooking anything with alot of water in it. let the oils build up a little first. Soon you'll have that nice blackened gloss that tells you you have a well seasoned pan or pot.
    I dont know if lodge sells whole sets...so I'd suggest starting out with a small skillet, large skillet and about a 4 or 5 qt legless dutch oven for stove cooking. with those you can handle just about anything. (for making soup or something like that I still have a lonely stainless steel pot). Eggs, meats, roasts, chili, burger helper type stuff it's all covered. I've even roasted chickens in My dutch oven and they're the best. I make cornbread and cakes in My skillets too. Great stuff!

7. hillbilly510

awsome thank yo for the advice. my mom bought herself oene of those new fancy castiron sets with the colord namil coating things on it i got somad because she wasted the mone and won get the sameaffect. what about baking in a duch over what do you suggest with that

8. Urban Hermit

There's really nothing wrong with the enameled Cast Iron. Lodge makes some of that too. I'm not sure how well the enamel holds up though because I've never used it.

You can bake stuff in the dutch oven just like a skillet. It's just deeper. I've seen people use dutch ovens over a camp fire and bake biscuits and stuff in them. Sure you can do the same in the oven. As you get used to using the cast iron, you can always add to your collection. The meatloaf pan is great for not only meatloaves but for baking bread too.

9. hillbilly510

thank you i think ill pick up one f the ccast iron cook books from lodge so icanlearn the basics

10. Urban Hermit

Good idea. you can learn alot of good cooking tricks that way. good luck.

11. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

tabasco is a good idea, and maybe a small container of salsa? along with condiment packages. the latter are free :) I've built up a nice collection and you can even get mayyonaise that doesn't need to be refrigerated :) while i first raised my eyebrow at the idea, i haven't gotten sick yet :) And again, spices and condiments are a REALLY good idea in regards to eating food. I was down in nicaragua for about 2 weeks, and i ate pretty bland rice and beans for about the entire time. To this day i can't eat plain rice and beans without gagging a bit. Spices truly add a nice little way to make certain foods palatable or different. so pack them spices up! even a bland bland broth can be made better with a pinch of spice :)

12. Urban Hermit

Oh I agree you need some kind of spices. I'm the same way with the condiment packs. I have a small plastic box in my food kit that I keep condiment packs in so they won't rupture. McDonalds gives you salsa pacs with breakfast burritos and I always ask for extra. Besides ketchup, mustard and such, I also have a few jelly, soy sauce, taco sauce and a few others. As well as the ever present small bottle of Tabasco sauce.

Another trick I learned. In another thread we were talking about using small 1"X 2" zippered plastic baggies that you get from craft stores and such for small first aid items and meds. I have a few of these filled with cooking herbs and spices. Curry, Cumin, Chili powder, Italian Seasoning, Garlic powder and onion powder. They hold just enough to use in a few meals, but they make such a huge difference it's worth the extra effort and the space they take up is negligible.

13. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

yeah i use those little baggies for meds, and also talked about using them to package your own drinking mix packets if you want to save some $$$. And i prefer to keep spices in containers, there are always some nice ones you can pick up at a camping store which is usually split into different compartments. Thats just how i prefer to carry my spices, although backup amounts of spices for a longer term BOB would be perfect for that :) and would work well for other spices to be sure! Just don't pack oregano or basil in them hahaha

14. Urban Hermit

jegrundh: Just don't pack oregano or basil in them hahaha

LOL..yeah, I thought about that with the Italian seasoning mix. It's mostly oregano and basil and it really is good with a little can of tomato paste, water poured over noodles....OH wait..they call that spaghetti don't they? :D

15. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

yup yup :) but any cop with a nose can immediately tell that its not weed, heck it doesn't really look like weed. Just a funny anecdote :p but if packaged in a dime bag, that could lead to a stern telling off from a cop. But yeah, even when buying store bought sauce i always add: oregano, basil, onion and garlic powder, bayleaf. And if i want meat sauce i throw in browned ground meat. We call that "spicing up" store bought haha. But yeah spices = tasty. Just remember, boiling your leather belt for a soup won't taste good, but add in a lot of salt and you can at least pretend its beef ramen :luck: haha

16. FRagman1967

I like to wash prescription pill containers (they are food grade), after carefully removing the lables, and use those for spices on-the-go. Sometimes on the larger bottles I will pack smaller amounts of several spices in saran wrap and stuff them all into one bottle.
    I saw a neat plastic triangular spice container at the camping store the other day. The company said they were all made in "civilised" IE non-military, Colors. Each unit has three spaces for different spices.
    I like the idea, they even come with an oversized guitar pick lookin' widget to pry the lids open.

17. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Just purchased a kit which totaled a little over $30 (well technically more because not everything comes in singles or in the exact amounts you want, so you end up with extras but hey, thats ok :p )

pictures and full load out soon

18. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Heres the kit :woohoo:

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4503.jpg[/img]
    Box

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4511.jpg[/img]
    Box open

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4513.jpg[/img]
    Meat
    -Spam
    -Vienna Sausages
    -Tunafish

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4514.jpg[/img]
    Drink
    -Gatorade

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4516.jpg[/img]
    Soup ingredients
    -vegetable bullion cubes
    -canned peas
    -canned corn
    -canned diced tomatoes
    -canned potatoes

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4518.jpg[/img]
    Snacks
    -crackers
    -Tropical GORP
    -Cliff bar
    -raisins

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4522.jpg[/img]
    Instant Meals
    -instant garlic potatotes
    -instant chicken fried rice
    -ramen

[img width=640 height=425]http://gi162.photobucket.com/groups/t245/MS6PQRJWJK/IMGP4523.jpg[/img]
    Desert and Beans
    -Fruit Cocktale
    -Baked beans

Could also throw in chocolate, instant noodles, etc. can also combine soup ingredients with ramen. Thats just one possible configuration but it can be done :) Glad to work on a project for you all :) haha

19. FRagman1967

Wow! that rules! It would be a great set up for an emergency two day load out. But, uhhhhhh, do you actually EAT vienna sausages? I can't stand those things!

20. Urban Hermit

LOL. Thanks to My Grandmother when I was a kid, I got to really like those nasty things. But I have to watch My salt and they have alot in them. when I have a craving for them, I get the Libby's brand...half the sodium content. But just as nasty.