1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency CHEATSHEETS, cue cards, plans ect...

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Nomadtv, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

So I used to be a medic and onething that was essential were pocket cheatsheets with fast bullet points about what to do when.

So I got to thinking, Everyone in my family should have a little laminated book that contains instructions and considerations ect for the most likely scenarios.

Be great to have this little book or sheetset in every BOB EDC and car ect...

Im wondering, who else has done this but more importantly, for those of you who have... could you post an example?

I got a start but I think we could all learn alot by seeing a few different approaches to this idea.

Anyone have any they can share?

2. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

Question...

Have you ever seen the pocket ref? These are way cool. Pocket Ref

Now additionally I see a need for something that is more quickly referenced.

Lets see if we can complie the info that we would use.

Important Phone numbers: with other contact info eg. emails etc.
    Important passwords to bank accounts etc.??? Maybe maybe not.
    common First aide procedures
    common how to's

This could be a great collaborative project.

Other ideas would be great

3. stormtracker

4. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

Oh my bad... how about a link?

5. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

MN I see what you meant, thought this was a dupe thread, not post.

So I had gotten as far as a table of contents and then had gottne through my first emergency outlines. I ordered them based on what I thought was most likely to least likely so I started with Weather. I cant find the file at all now but Ill keep looking.

I had about 10 to 12 scenarios. Brief description of the scenario, list of standard considerations (get home, water, food, contacts, plans of action ect...) and then a list of more scenario specific considerations. ect. Ill try to find the file again as its been a year since I looked at it, had spent some time on it but needed to collaborate with others. Mostly thats why im hoping someone else has a set done up... I need a template to start again.

6. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I've used http://www.pocketmod.com/ to create pocket sized reference books before.
    They even have one or two useful reference pages available.

7. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

I'm going to put something together like this for my wife and my kids (none of which would fall even remotely into an EDC or preparedness category).

I'm planning on including names, street addresses, phone numbers, e-mail contacts, GPS coordinates and maps to several BO locations. For example, at least two neighbors on our street, Grandma's house and my brother's house across town, my other brother's house and my sister-in-law's house several hours from town, etc. That way, if we're separated (like during the day at work/school) and we can't get into our own home or our own neighborhood, the rest of the family have options and I know where to start looking for them.

You could include account numbers if you want and just shift every digit by one up or one down. Useless to someone else but workable for you. Very low level security though.

Just some thoughts.

8. gcbailey

gcbailey Loaded Pockets

it's a little larger to carry, but there is a series of books called "worst case scenario" some really useful stuff, but some examples are meant to be read and remembered such as "what to do when your car is about to go into a lake/river..." not much time to get the book out to read on that one :)

9. Fird

Fird Loaded Pockets

I've never believed in step-by-step instructions for much of anything, the first thing I do when I get a new piece of equipment or whatever is to start pushing buttons, figuring it out for myself, this gives me an intimate working knowledge of the basic features, then I go back to the manual and get the hidden features I might otherwise miss. That said, I do carry an "orange sheet" - the list of local frequencies, procedures, and other critical information for my ARES group. On top of that I have a long long list of phone numbers, frequencies, email addresses, etc.. more of a reference than a survival guide.

10. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

Now that's pretty cool! :cool:

11. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

If you can find a set of the Lee Nading survival cards (apparently out of print) or a copy thereof, you might find the information useful in developing your cheatsheet. Not bulletized, but I suppose it could be arranged in that manner.

12. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I'm partial to this book, which I have carried into the woods with me for many years - it's small and rides in my cooking pan actually.

http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Guide-Handbook-Collins/dp/0060849827/ref=pd_sim_b_7

but I have a friend who tried these playing cards and liked 'em. and hey, you get 52 playing cards too...kinda multi-purpose! :rolleyes:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU-SE-SURV-DECK&variation=

I was thinking of the playing cards for my "guy friend type gifts" actually, just didn't get it done...

*edit -oops - saniterra - we had the same thought at same time - if these are what you are talking about?

13. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

No, the Nading cards were about the size of standard playing cards, but only 5 in number, printed on both sides, plastic or plastic laminate and secured at the top left corner with a rivet that allowed them to be fanned out. If you Google them, you can find lots of references, mainly as survival kit contents or recommendations, but no actual cards to be had. I got mine from Campmor years ago, but they don't carry them anymore. I would scan and post them, but that would surely be a copyright violation and I really don't want to go there. The cards - if they could be procured somehow - would be a great addition to the forum store, however. Cheap, small and comprehensive.

14. wilster

wilster Loaded Pockets

I've used Blue Squirrel's Click Book for twelve years. This is an application which takes your word processing or PDF document and aligns it to dozens of pre-formatted sizes. I've used it to print 8.5 x 11 pages onto 3-3/4 x 6-3/4 sheets.

If you use a 7-ring binder, Click Book will even print the holes for punching. If your document runs to more than one page, CB will give you directions for printing on two sizes. It also prints the index marks ("+") for cutting. Check it out! http://clickbook.com

15. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i'm a medic also, and i've always been a fan of the pocket guides and handbooks. especially when they're laminated, or on that toddler book material, like coated cardboard. spiral bound, etc....easily packable, don't worry about 'em when they're in cargo pants or something.

i'm working on making my own. as i gather info, i save it into a folder. eventually i'll print and laminate 'em, and spiral bound it into a pocket sized reference of info i need for EDC/:censored:

16. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Anyone lay their hands on and try the Brunton Survival Card Kit? It seems to be similar in concept to the now unobtainable Nading cards. The Brunton kit also include a fresnel lens and a pop out (I guess it pops out) floating compass. My kids and I are building survival kits for Scouting and hiking and I'm considering ordering one for each kit. I just want to know if anyone has seen them and what they think.

17. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

OK so Haiti has me prompted to get some work done on these... Im thinking of a spiral bound book with tabs for different emergencies.
    What I have so far are (in no particular order, thatll come later):

-Fire
    -Weather
    -Bio Attack
    -Riot
    -Invasion
    -Nuclear attack
    -Earthquake

what else can you think of for main catagories of emergencies. Obviously these will have subcatagories, for instance Weather will have Snow, hurricaine, Flood ect.
    So to start, any other main catagories I might have forgotten? Thanks for the help!

18. stormtracker

wilderness survival techniques
    first aide
    booby traps
    urban survival
    water purification techniques
    animal snaring and trapping
    cold weather survival
    conversion tables
    apco codes
    mil. rank and grade

still thinking.....

19. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

K heres what i got for my first chapter: "Earthquake!"

Comments suggestions additions ect are welcome.

Emergency Plans/Action cards:

Tabs: (Types of emergencies)

-EARTHQUAKE
    *IMMEDIATE ACTION

*Indoors
    - DROP - get low and make yourself small
    - TAKE COVER - Load bearing doorways, support beams, Desks or heavy furniture.
    - AVOID glass, windows, outside doors and walls: anything that could fall, lighting fixtures, furniture, flammables, shelves
    - DUCK AND COVER - Kneel and be small, hands cover neck and head, face tucked into arms.
    - HOLD ON - wait till it stops before you move

*Outdoors
    - GET CLEAR from buildings, power lines street lights, moving vehicles.
    - GET LOW Duck and Cover and stay low till it stops

*In Vehicle
    - STOP as soon as possble / safe
    - STAY in vehicle till its over
    - PROCEED but AVOID Bridges, ramps or road that might be damaged

*IF TRAPPED
    -Do not light a match.
    -Do not move about or kick up dust.
    -Cover your mouth with handkerchief or clothing.
    -Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if available. Shout only as last resort.

*SECONDARY ACTION:
    (INJURIES? see first aid section.)
    (Near the OCEAN? get to high ground. See Tsunami)

*At Home
    -GET OUT- get away to clear area, away from buildings
    -SHUT OFF- Gas, water, electric if possible
    -INSPECT- From a distance. severe damage? fire? gasleaks or bare power lines? - CALL 911
    -CALL- family if not together, Coordinate Rally
    -BOB/SUPPLIES- within arms reach or worn, if available, from now till safetly. Make sure you have water
    -HELP OTHERS - If Possible and if it does not compromise your personal safety or plan of action
    -INITIATE Bug Out Plan- If situation is severe and or conditions warrant it.
    -BE PREPARED for aftershocks, lack of services, blocked roads, lawlessness
    -MONITOR - radio tv CB HAM for news and Information

*Away From Home
    -GET OUT- get away to clear area, away from buildings
    -BOB/SUPPLIES- within arms reach or worn, if available, from now till safetly. Make sure you have water.
    -HELP OTHERS - If Possible and if it does not compromise your personal safety or plan of action
    -INITIATE Bug Out Plan- If situation is severe and or conditions warrant it.
    -BE PREPARED for aftershocks, lack of services, blocked roads, lawlessness
    -MONITOR - radio tv CB HAM for news and Information

*CONSIDERATIONS
    -Severe earthquakes can create Tsunamis. If near the ocean get to high ground ASAP.
    -Aftershocks usually follow, expect them and be prepared to take immediate action multiple times.
    -Stay away from possibly damaged areas. It might look safe but it might collapse on you.
    -Beware Hazardous Material leaks or spills
    -Severe earthquakes may disrupt basic supplies. If large earthquake, food, medical supplies and water will become hard to find quickly. Stock up ASAP
    -Severe earthquakes may disrupt basic services Police, EMS and Fire may not be available. Expect looting, lawlessness and dangerous behavior
    -Travel may be blocked, consider alternate routes
    -If you have what others need (water transpo ect...), you will be a target. Act accordingly and lay low.

20. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

this is great. i'm from california so this just brings me back to grade school and their earthquake drills and crap we used to do. lol! now it's all just common knowledge for most people. well, the people i keep around me. can't expect EVERYONE to be on the same page....so it's nice to have on hand.

how many copies is everyone attempting/expecting to make? any ideas of cost for manufacturing these? that's be nice to know as well.