1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency (belt/webbing) Cutters

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by kirbysdl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have a BM 5 hook, not sure what to do with it. Your idea is great! thanks

2. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Although Benchmade advises against using abrasive material, I use the triangle rods of the spyderco sharpmaker on my 915 Triage and the rescue hook 7. Works like a charm. I also use the edge of an old belt to strop it. Benchmade actually recommends using a cotton or leather cord to polish the edge.

3. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

So they recommend stropping, which sounds like a reasonable thing to do with any most blades. The Sharpmaker's great at sharpening just about anything though, and I imagine it would do just fine on a hook.

4. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I haven't felt the need to carry a hook type cutter for either seat belts or skinning (I've skinned hundreds of animals) serrated edges make me cuss and spit. A lot of hi tech medical equipment is strapped in the the crates with seat belt type webbing a sharp knife cuts them like butter. As far sharpening a hook cutter a stone that fits the edge hold the same angle and sharpen like any other knife.
    Roy

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I did it myself, i used a spyderco sharpmaker and the corners of the stones - it was pretty easy once i figured how to hold the hook

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

The important part there is sharp knife
    Many people dont have sharp knives.
    Mine are kept sharp enough to push through 12mm nylon rope easily (without sawing) and they cut straps really easily
    Serrated knives work much better on webbing or rope than a plain edge of similar sharpness

My rescue hook was ok out of the box, but needed the correct angle, and a bit of force to cut webbing, after a touchup it zips through like its not there

7. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I agree with both plumberroy and echo63. I've said for years now that serrated edges are for people who don't sharpen. Both because they're a pain to sharpen, and because you're less likely to need to: just treat it as a saw and use brute force. :banghead:

I prefer plain edges too for both aesthetic and practical reasons. I don't sharpen as much as I should though! :oops:

8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I too prefer a plain edge

I have never had an issue sharpening serrations though, Spyderco made it easy with their sharpmaker

9. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

What is this? Couldn't find it.

10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Colonial Knife Tat Cutter.

$20 with a clip, $13 with a lanyard.

Recently discussed on one of the kite forums I frequent. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

11. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

The cutouts around the lanyard hole of the Tat cutter betray its original purpose as part of a folding tool. I'm sure it still does the job it's meant to do, but I think I'd prefer the ergonomics of tools like the Gerber or Benchmade products that were designed from the ground up to be held without a separate, and now-missing, handle.

12. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Some people will choose minimalism over ergonomics. Personally I think the Hook 7 and Gerber are small enough. There's something to be said for being able to use things while wearing gloves... especially this time of year. Each to there own, though.

ATB,
    Sam

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Oscar Delta V-cutter* is another compact option, though it is definitely more useable with a lanyard.

*Note: This is not a recommendation, per se, and other companies may have a similar or even superior design.

14. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

wow, this one looks great, might get one for the keychain...

hal_chase likes this.
  15. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

There is a use for a belt cutter outside a car, having to use a AED.

Most folks, even having been trained in CPR, don't carry shears around. Most EDC folks don't. Think about what a person may be wearing. Now realise that you have to bare their chest to attach the AED. Can you tear a t-shirt? How about a standard bra?

Sure, most AED kits have a set of shears in them, buy do you know for certain?

A hook cutter is much better than a knife for this as the tip is usually rounded. Have you thought about the attack angle when cutting clothing? There is hardly any approach that does not place the point against the skin or apply pressure towards the skin.

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.

tinker gnome likes this.
  16. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I equipped both my Jeep and wife's Honda CRV with Res-Q-Me devices (both tethered such that they won't go flying and will remain within easy reach). It will (should) serve two immediate needs in event of accident: cut the seatbelt *and* shatter driver's side window.

I opted for Res-Q-Me in part because it has the spring-loaded "glass tool" vs. some sort of "impact hammer" glass-breaker. The issues I see with a separate impact tool (hammer-type) are, a) if injuries or post-accident malformation of vehicle impair ability to swing a hammer with sufficient force to break glass, and b) if you're underwater, might be difficult to exert enough force to break glass and, c) why carry two separate tools IF a single tool will do the job (yes, at odds with philosophy that a single-use tool usually outperforms a multi-purpose tool, but I'm OK with the Res-Q-Me).

Some of you will scoff ;) at concept of being "underwater" in Phoenix, AZ. But I know of two instances in last five years where vehicles skidded into water canals here, and ended up partially underwater. And we have flash floods. Long shot? Absolutely. But why not cover all the bases as long as an egress-tool is included in vehicle EDC. And we travel a fair amount outside the Phoenix-area, where waterways are more abundant.

17. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I happened upon a good deal for BM's Houdini tools a few years back, so we have one in our car. But I should really make some sort of mounting solution for it. The ResQMe that I carry is for when I'm in other vehicles. I don't have a lot of faith in the single-blade cutter of the ResQMe, but I guess it's another option for just in case.

18. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

What do you think about the Böker Rescom? I think about getting it since I drive a lot when at work.

19. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I haven't used it, but I wouldn't be seriously interested in any hook that's a folder. The fewer steps to get your tool ready for use, the better. When I eventually mount my Houdini in our car, it will be with the hook deployed.

Just 2c though, since everyone has different needs.

EDIT: They make a Boker Plus Rescom Fixed Blade Knife too. The end of the hook looks a bit sharp, but otherwise, seems ok.

20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I can’t mount it in a work related car since it’s a different car every time. Thus, a folder would be more convenient to carry. I would have to find a space for the fixed version (which is longer than the folder folded out AFAIK) where I could reach it fast and easy. A nice detail on the fixed is the glass breaker end (and that ATM it’s on 50% discount on Böker’s online shop, so 40€ instead of 80€, compared to 50€ of the folder).
    I would need to hold them both in my hands to test it.