1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency (belt/webbing) Cutters

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by kirbysdl, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Is there anyone here who EDCs dedicated hook-style cutters like these in a non-job-related capacity? Have you actually used them (perhaps for more creative, low-key uses than lifesaving)? I've been re-evaluating what cutting devices to EDC, and while I think it would be neat to have one, I don't think there's a good reason for me to carry such a single-purpose cutting tool. I'm basically just posting to see if I can be convinced otherwise. ;)

I currently EDC a BRKT Bravo Necker, tiny EMT shears, and a ResQMe. The shears are horribly non-ergonomic and will probably be replaced with larger ones, but I'm wondering if I should ditch the ResQMe for something else, or ditch it entirely. Thanks!

2. BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel

BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked images removed, Rule #3b
    I carry a Gerber Strapcutter.
    Thankfully I never had to use it yet.

Edit: whoopsie....hotlink removed - apologies! :blink:

3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I picked up a BM 7 Hook not long ago. It's fascinating, but I don't really carry it.

I could see it being very useful for someone who works with lines or straps on a regular basis. Also, some hunters use them for skinning.

4. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

I don't think there's any SINGLE reason to carry a dedicated tool other than if you're a trucker, always on the road or are an EMS responder or something like that. Otherwise belt cutters than are incorporated into other knives or tools such as the RESQME should suffice. I have a Boker Rescue Knife but the belt cutter on that is poorly executed. Other than that a multipurpose knife such as a Benchmade Rescuer or a Victorinox Rescue might be a better option?

5. Hobs98

Hobs98 Loaded Pockets

I don't have 1 but the Benchmade 5 looks interesting. It weighs just a little over an ounce and is 2.9 inches long.
    It also has a bottle opener, and with a little work could be a :censored: friendly box or clam shell opener.

6. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the thoughts. Btw, TSA in Alaska told me I couldn't take my RESQME on the plane. Ended up mailing it to myself. Le sigh.

7. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I carry a fox rescue tool on my EDC bag.

I do around 40000 miles a year in a vehicle, so I thought it may be a wise spend. Never used it in anger though!

8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have one in a pouch stuck to the sunvisor in the car.

Hope I never need it, but it's there just incase

It's made by Gill, a yachting company - I did some practice with it, then touched it up on a Sharpmaker.
    I built the sheath too
    [​IMG]

Ignore the scissors and lighter, they are just there temporarily to show the Velcro covered elastic strap for storing parking tickets etc under
    [​IMG]

coolerking and Dapple like this.
  9. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Nice sheath setup! I've heard that if you're often in the same vehicle or two, it's good to mount the cutter somewhere visible and easily reached in the vehicle. The problem with putting it on a bag or having it loose in a cup holder, etc. is that it may be flung somewhere out of reach during a collision or other emergency.

Thanks again for all the ideas, everyone!

10. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

I got a Gerber strap cutter when I bought my LMF II. I keep it in he car, but have never used it. I also have my BM 915 Triage with an awesome cutter built in that I EDC 4 days a week. Ultimately though, keep your EDC knife sharp and that should be all you need in the unfortunate event that you have to cut someone out of a car seatbelt.
    [​IMG]
    I just found this on knifedepot.com
    [​IMG]

Dapple likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I carry a Benchmade Hook 7 (in Blaze Orange) on my person.

A Gerber Strap Cutter (in Coyote Brown) rides on my bag behind the Molle and compression straps (which are Khaki). Because of the color combination it basically disappears and the only thing you can see is a high-visibility orange lanyard.

Above and beyond EDC/EMS use, hook knives are considered standard safety equipment if you fly power kites.

If you think a baby Spyderco is discreet, moderate sized hook knives take it a step further. I was exchanging something at the local Lowes and wanted to make sure that the the replacement was not also defective/broken, I palmed the Hook 7 and cut the straps on the item. One of the sales clerk looked askance as how to I removed the packing straps by running my index finger over it.

Prior to carrying an EDC bag, I was trapped in a car that had come to rest on its side in an embankment and my weight was suspended by the seat belt which would not release without me first unweighting by bracing my leg against the dead pedal. A hook knife would have made things easier. FWIW: even civilians find themselves in EMS & roadside emergency situations. Statisically, it's not the norm, but life doesn't also factor in your plans while it's happening.

ATB,
    Sam

12. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

IMO: the ResQMe is a dedicated tool with one purpose: getting out of a car or similar conveyance. That is why I have one on my keychain. I would not use the blade for anything else.

However, I do carry a strap cutter with my kit for everyday use. (one can sharpen it when necessary.)

Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.

13. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I carry a BenchMade 8 hook strap cutter. I've only used it for cutting paracord, which it does really well, but I figure it was cheap, cool, small enough to slip into a pocket organizer and in case of emergency, I have it.

14. BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel

BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel Loaded Pockets

At the end of the day it comes down to "It's better to have it and never need it than to need it and not have it"

Just my humble opinion of course...but this principle applies to a lot of stuff.

--
    Sent from a Marconi wireless using Morse Code.

15. Dapple

Dapple Loaded Pockets

If the purpose is cutting seatbelts, I can't imagine it being useful outside of the car, so I'd keep it there (when I finally get my hands on one). As I understand it, the reason for having a hook-style cutter is to prevent injury from using a regular knife for the purpose. After an accident you're most likely injured, dazed, and if you can't unlatch your seatbelt, probably fighting panic. It's just a relaly bad time to use a regular knife for the purpose. However, I can see using a regular knife to free someone else from a car, assuming you're calm, collected, uninjured and able to reach an area of the belt that you can go at without risking injury to the occupant.

The only real EDC scanario I can come up with not car related (or power kite related ;)) is if someone is choking from a strap or cord of some sort caught around their neck and you need to cut it loose quickly, preferrably without risk of further injuring them in the process. Some cutters would not be condusive to this scenario. The second one MDM posted looks effective and lightweight.

Edit: Except I can't find it at knifedepot.com. :(

16. forestgrump
    • In Omnia Paratus

forestgrump Loaded Pockets

I have a benchmade 5 hook wedged in the sleeve of my sun visor.
    Within reach should I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Though meant for skinning deer or other large game, and not necessarily tiny, the Kershaw Gut Hook can be had for around $10.00 or so. Looks like it would do the job.

18. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

This, but you can do it with a 'normal' blade. I once had to cut a nylon rope from around the neck of someone, and only had my leatherman wave on me. The plain edge did the job fine without further injury.

Dapple likes this.
  19. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Total side note. Not to derail anything here. If you think a standard pocket knife is enough to just cut a seatbelt please go to the local wrecking yard and try to cut a seatbelt. They are notorious for how hard to cut they can be. Yes if you have a sharp blade you can cut one, but you may be in for a surprise as some of the people above can testify to.

This doesn't apply to full serrated rescue type blades like spyderco ect.

20. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

This might be a little off the point, but how exactly do you sharpen a hook? Would you do it yourself or have a professional do it?

billybag likes this.