1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Embassy Pen Secret Use

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by nitrofein, May 24, 2012.

1. nitrofein

nitrofein Loaded Pockets

So I have been looking at buying a County Comm Embassy Pen (http://www.countycomm.com/pen.html) for a bit now and I was wondering if anyone knew of the discrete secret uses of the cap they speak of.

Here is a quote from their page:

"The CountyComm Embassy Pen industrial design purposely DOES NOT provide for the cap to fit on the back of the barrel. There are several reasons for this, one will become apparent when someone asks to borrow your pen - loan them the pen while you hold the cap and you will get your pen back! Other more discrete reasons are best kept quiet!"

2. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

I've had mine for about a year and it is absolutely perfect. I literally have nothing bad to say about it, at all. I've used it for all kinds of things other than being a pen, such as using it to hammer things, break glass (bad accident), and just all sorts of stuff. It really is more than just a pen.
    That being said, there are no secret uses. Just a marketing ploy. ;) But using the cap or the butt to hammer things or just shove things in their place (I have used mine to install seat covers rather than hurting my fingers trying to shove the edges into the seat) is really useful.

Water-Rat and nitrofein like this.
  3. psikat

psikat Loaded Pockets

I think it's a clever distraction from the fact that they hadn't bothered to put more thoughts into the design! I have found the 'non fitting' cap more a hindrance than an advantage.

Best regards, Hawk

4. Scottyzedinosaur

I think there's an amount of truth to that. I think they designed a really clean, rugged looking pen and didn't think about integrating a place for the cap to post. But I personally haven't lost the cap once, and everyone who's used my pen has indeed given it back. And I have some pretty kleptomaniac-type friends.

5. ZoomFlight15

ZoomFlight15 Loaded Pockets

+1. I totally agree with you, Hawk. The pen looks really nice, but this makes it a no-go for me.

How often will you be using your pen yourself and have to try and keep track of the cap, vs lending it out to someone else? 9 times out of 10? Definitely a hindrance, especially if your out on the street, in your car, or anywhere other than sitting at a desk or table. But maybe that's just me.

To me, this is a pretty useless "feature" which someone must have come up with after realizing the design flaw.

It was intentionally designed this way?! Really?!? Guess what geniuses, I can take any pen with a cap that DOES fit on the back of the barrel and just pull the cap off the pen before lending it out. Same effect, but I also don't have to bother keeping track of the cap for when I use the pen myself. Whoa, did I just blow your minds?

FAIL.

Sorry for the rant, but I always thought It was pretty stupid to actually pass this off as a value-added feature.

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Meh...I'll pass on ANY pen that has a cap. Sorry I like clicky pens. I'm just too lazy to deal wit ha cap even if it did have a place to put it built in. And since I use a pen mostly at work where I will be standing up and carrying a clip board one hand opening is key. Juggling a clip board and trying to de cap a pen is a major :censored:

nitrofein likes this.
  7. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

I'd say you're completely right, if you don't want the person to have the lid, just take it off and keep it. If you know you're going to be lending your pen out a lot, then don't use such an expensive pen. 4sevens Ti pen has the same "feature". I'd lose the lid myself ten times over before someone takes my pen and doesn't return it.

ZoomFlight15 likes this.
  8. PerfectZebra
    • In Omnia Paratus

PerfectZebra Loaded Pockets

I haven't handled the Embassy Pen specifically, but I did previously own one of the Hinderer Extreme Duty Pens, which I believe is a similar size. While it had a threaded section on the end to allow you to 'post' the cap, I found that I preferred not to do so. It threw off the balance of the pen and made it very top heavy.

With that in mind, perhaps the fact that you can't post the Embassy Pen cap isn't so much of a bad thing. Judging by its size and weight, it would likely be very awkward to use if the cap was posted.

Water-Rat likes this.
  9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Yup the Tom Anderson pen I have gets very top heavy with the cap posted.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A bit surprised by some of the posts here. Yes, there is a secret to the CC pen. (Though it's not much of one at all.) Has to do with the cap. But not leaving it off the pen. The secret is that you leave the body off of the pen. You unscrew the pen completely. When you put it back together again, leave off the body. Place the refill inside the lower portion of the pen. Then screw the cap onto the lower portion, instead of the longer pen body. Now you have a short, stubby, pen where the tip is always exposed. CC used to say that one of their clients requested that the pen be able to be converted as such. Not sure if it's true. Not sure why anyone would want that as a feature since very compact pens existed long before CC made the Embassy Pen. But there you go . . . That's the secret.

Works on my original black CC Embassy Pen. Haven't tried the compact conversion on my newer S.S. version though.

Water-Rat and nitrofein like this.
  11. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info! But I tried it on my Ti pen, (rev 2), and that won't work, unless I'm just doing something wrong. On the very lower portion of the pen, (the short part that unscrews from the main body) the threads are way too small to screw into the cap. :eek:

12. Scottyzedinosaur

Same here! Tried it on the exact same pen. Didn't work.

13. Swedish169

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

i used my CC embassy pen to perform an emergency appendectomy once. i won't go into all the details here, but it just wouldn't have been possible if the cap fit back on the end of the barrel.

also, i just tried the short-stubby thing mentioned above, and it won't work on mine either. i've got the standard black rev2 version.

Water-Rat and 0dBm like this.
  14. psikat

psikat Loaded Pockets

I have the ss model. Perhaps using the blasted thing as a paperweight is one of the discrete reasons. Reasons any more discrete would probably involve body cavities.

Best regards, Hawk

15. nitrofein

nitrofein Loaded Pockets

I wonder if there is extra space between the end of the body of the pen and the pen refill when configured in its regular configuration. Anyway thanks for all of the info.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have noticed that CC deleted their vid. on YouTube in which they show the stubby conversion. My guess is that it only worked on the original version. As I said, not much of a secret. Works on my original version. But if I want a small and stubby pen, I'll go with a telescoping one from Zebra.

Water-Rat likes this.
  17. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

captbrian likes this.
  18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the assist. That pic beautifully illustrates the not-so-special secret.

19. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

I've carried my Ti Embassy pen for a year now (Rev 1). I thought I would hate the no-post cap and was almost as adamant about it as some of you guys. But I gotta tell you, after a year of daily use, I love it. I've always lost pens very quickly, but not so with this pen. I'm pretty sure that is mostly due to holding the cap in my hand (and partially because it is a $100 pen).

kertap75 likes this.
  20. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's one of those situations where you change too many variables and don't know what really worked. A few years ago I cut out sugary drinks from my diet and started to feel generally better. But I soon realized that since at the time I didn't drink coffee I had no idea if the lack of sugar was what caused the change or cutting out all the caffeine caused the change. In the end I decided it didn't matter. I got the results I wanted so I was happy. Too bad my sugar/caffeine ban didn't last longer then 6 months lol