1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Elmax VS M390 (and its equivalence)

Discussion in 'Knives' started by The Last Crow On The Wire, Aug 29, 2018.

1. The Last Crow On The Wire

The Last Crow On The Wire Loaded Pockets

So GiantMouse knives are coming out with the GM 5 this week and they just announced the specs for the new blade. The other GMs are killer in M390 but this one is gonna be Elmax. I got a nice collection of fine knives from the Usual Suspects but only one that I can think of in Elmax as I generally stay away from it due to the multitude of negative reviews. I've been waiting for the GM 5 and definitely want to give it a go but I got to know guys what are your thoughts on Elmax VS M390?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. The Last Crow On The Wire

For the people who love the details:

Specifications:
    Blade Steel: Uddeholm Elmax SuperClean. Stonewashed finish.
    Frame: Titanium 6Al-4V GR5. Glas blasted finish.
    Backspacer, clip and pivot ring: Titanium anodized blue.
    Pivot Mechanism: Ball bearings.
    Locking Mechanism: Frame lock.

Dimensions:
    Blade Length: 3.3125" (81.14mm) - measured from tip to forward-most aspect of frame.
    Blade Thickness: 0.157" (4mm)
    Frame Length: 4.5" (114.3mm)
    Overall Length: 7.875" (200mm)
    Weight: 5.1oz (144.58g)

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Elmax got a bit of a bum-rap from poor heat treating/improper factory sharpening (overheating the edge) when it first came into the knife world. As an example my ZT0560 seemed to have poor edge retention at first but after a few sharpenings, it holds an edge much better now. M390 will hold an edge longer, but Elmax is no slouch and is tougher. I personally wouldn't hesitate to get another blade in Elmax, especially newer models, since I believe the manufacturers have the HT right now on it.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thin Elmax is great. Thick, I have a hard time sharpening.

5. The Last Crow On The Wire

So it still seems people are 50 / 50

6. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I don’t have any experience with M390 but I edc a ZT 0566 with Elmax and it is a great blade. I too had difficulty sharpening it until I got the proper stones, that would probably be true for any high grade steel though.

7. MAGA

MAGA Loaded Pockets

I just got my first knife in m390! Haven’t tested it out though but I’m excited to try it out. No Elmax experience yet. I’m interested in knowing the differences too

8. The Last Crow On The Wire

I love M390 (and its brothers) and got a GM5 coming today and it will be my 2nd Elmax blade but my first with a non convex grind, I'm excited and hope its similar to m390

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't have any M390 blades, so I can't really contribute much. I do have a Spyderco Pingo that has an Elmax blade. So far cuts very similar to the standard Pingo with N690 steel. Doesn't further this discussion so much I know; but as I gain more comparative experience (I have Pingo's with both steel) I'll post anything that seems interesting...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben Davi

10. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

there is no comparison.

M390 is king and Elmax is a wannabe, also ran.

I have used nd carried a great many knives from many manufacturers, with more than a small variety of different steels - M390 and Elmax included.

In my experience, M390is truly a super steel. there are others that can beat it any ny one thing, but M390 is the best balance of the best attributes out there.

Elmax doesn't measure up in any aspect. Not from any of the big manufacturers, not in my real world experience actually using the steels. Maybe custom makers can make this steel sing, but the production companies leave it lacking, From my experience it is a very slightly improved s30v. actually, I think Bencmades s30v is an improvement over KAI's Elmax..

11. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Not to hijack the thread but, I'd like to know if anyone else thinks BM's s30 is better than KAI elmax. The only s30 I have experience with is Spyderco. I generally tend to believe BM is just overpriced but, I might need to reconsider if this is the consensus.

12. The Last Crow On The Wire