1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Tablets, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by themadplumbarian, Aug 5, 2011.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

WOW, all i asked was whats out there, i didnt think that there would be a debating team going after everything.. theres no way im getting a I-pad, theres no way i can afford it, i dont need anything fancy, or high class, just something i can use around the house to check my mail, go online to search things up, and some other programs, heck a I-pod would do but is do dang small! or else i would take my wifes and get her the 2nd gen, that is a thought though, but i think its to dang small.. JR

2. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

The nook is a good buy.

3. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

It's worse than religion or politics :)

They'll all do that and it'll be pretty irrelevant which you go for if that's all you need, the cheapest option your probably going to find is with an off brand Android tablet. The Nook Color as Iacchus mentions could be a very good option if you can afford to spend $250.

It's fair to assume that DialM was comparing iOS and Android rather than software to hardware.

rooting and jailbreaking are essentially the same thing, the former being the android term and the latter the iOS term.

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN Loaded Pockets

I-pad...is there anything else? There's a reason they beat the snot out of their own earnings prediction.

5. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Motorola xoom. Love it

6. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I am intrested in a Nook Color, but not sure if it will be enough for my needs.

I am anxiously wating for the Acer Iconia Tab A100. its supposed to be out this month with a 300$ MSRP.

7. themadplumbarian

For anyone that understands all these, this is the one i think im going to go with,, you can upgrade it with a 32, plus the 4 thats internal, so it will be 36g total.. A 7" Minipad Herotab Tablet Android 2.3, Multi Touch Screen, Processor Cortex A8 1ghz with 512Mb, Flash 10.1, 3D Games with G-Sensor, 1.3 Front Camera, True Google Android Market, 4gb Storage.. let me know what you all think, again, its just for checking my mail, searching for things, load some music, and put a few books on,, JR

8. 44Magpie

44Magpie Loaded Pockets

I bought a Nook earlier this year and rooted it and I am very happy with it.
    Never even considered an I-pad. Guess I have too much self respect to get down on my knees and worship a control freak like Jobs.

9. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I think you'll find it's not enough horsepower for what you want to put on there once you have it. And these usually have a resistive touch screen, not capacitive as well as skimping on the battery.

10. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Kernel has nothing to do with it. Android is for the most part based on a Java virtual machine (VM) called Dalvik.

The issue with 3.x is that they reworked the UI libraries to better work with large screens (allowing multiple columns in layouts and so on). However, Google did provide a library that allow 3.0 apps to function on Android versions as far back as 1.6! Funny thing is that thanks to their announcement that the next major Android release will merge the 2.x and 3.x branches, most app developers seems to be holding back on their 3.x development work. This to the point that Google recently held a developer workshop to try and bootstrap some 3.x love.

11. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

I have a Samsung Galaxy tab on Verizon. I just upgraded to Gingerbread, 2.3.4, and love it. And being the 7" version, it fits in the side pockets of my work pants perfectly. Should fit in most cargo pockets also. Great for just browsing the web or chatting in forums using Tapatalk. Love having Netflix in my pocket.

12. themadplumbarian

Thanks for the info guys, at least im understanding some of this, JR

13. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I've got the first gen iPad 32 gig wi-fi model and I absolutely love it. Screen size is a good trade off between productivity and portability. I got a great deal on an Otterbox Defender case and now I carry it pretty much everywhere. It is in my EDC bag and gets used frequently. I use it do everything from surf the net, manage the emergency incidents I work (report forms, access to chemical information, email, etc.), to using it a church when I preach (I am a temporary fill-in while our congregation searches for a minister). My only regret is not getting a 3G version, because it has GPS built in with the cellular radio. To use GPS (useful for managing incidents), I have to use a GPS dongle (Bad Elf). However, my phone has mobile hotspot capabilities, so I don't miss the data connection as much as I regret not having onboard GPS.

That being said, I recently picked up a Dell Streak 5--an Android mini-tablet with smartphone features. I use it as my primary phone. It is a great Tablet and internet device and servicable for a cell phone. I am grandfathered into unlimited data, so I use it for quite a bit. However, it also shows me how useful the 7 inch form factor could be. I think I'm going to write a proposal for my boss and try to get a 7-inch tablet (probably Dell Streak 7 since it uses same charger as my phone) for work purposes.

A tablet is a great tool when you use them for what they are designed for. Someone said that they will frustrate you when you forget and try to use them like a notebook computer. That's true. Tablets are data consumption and manipulation devices foremost with the ability for light content creation thrown in as a bonus.

14. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

The ability to create on them will improve given time, as CPU and software gets improved on.

15. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I'm going to recommend the Nook Color, the reviews have been outstanding and you can get refurbished models for $200. Here are a couple of informative links:

ABC News Nook Color Review

ZDNet Nook Color review

Of interest to me is that they note that the iPad can get heavy while reading and that the screen is unreadable in sunlight. Maybe some of the owners can chime in here, I have no experience with the iPad.

Re. the flame war: Android 3.x is the tablet version of the OS, it is not just the next upgrade. Just like there are iPad-only apps, there are also Android 3.x only apps. Google probably should have called it Android Tablet Edition to avoid confusion like this. No one would expect an iPad-only app to run on an iPhone (though I believe it is not impossible) so I'm not sure why there are complaints that an Android 3.x only app will not run on Android 2.2 or 2.3.

16. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The Nook color has a great screen and is pretty good when rooted. But it's a kludge to call it a tablet. Doesn't get the handy default google apps in 2.2 and has a limited upgrade path and a small onboard memory. It's allegedly not too hard to disassemble and put in a good sized card for memory though. Limited app selection. Doesn't handle phone apps well, but many tablet apps don't run on the older OS or smaller screen. Still, great bang for the buck and my wife has enjoyed her rooted Nook color and they've done a lot on the limited equipment. But recognize that the hardware is basically that of a Droid X and aging rapidly.

3.2 includes some stretch and zoom features to help out the older phone apps.

The quad-cores will be out in a couple of months. Ice cream sandwich has an October release date. Unless you've got a pressing reason to have a tablet NOW, I think it's worth waiting. Prices on the old tablets will come down and there will be cool new hardware and software if you want it.

17. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I am writing from an archos 101it. It is in my edc bag but honestly i put it for sale bc it is just an oversized phone like gadget with no phone capabilities. Battery lasts six to ten hours depending on what u do. It can do basics like reading books, watching a movie, write a basic word excel or ppt, read pdf, listen to music and surf the net. Given the choice again, i would get a netbook with the same battery life in an instant. U can do a lot more with one than with a tablet. It is just a hype that is all. My tablet cost 300 bucks.

18. themadplumbarian

Kool, thats basically what im looking for in a 7" i have my eye on one, with a cover that has a built in keyboard, i posted it a few lines below, nothing fancy just to basically do as you just said, and to keep it all around the same price,, JR

19. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

Bear in mind that a 7 inch tablet is not suited for reading pdf magazines. The screen is too small and u have to scroll a lot. This was one of the reasons I haven't gotten a kindle in the first place. You might want to have a look at the Galaxy Tab, I have heard only good things about them and a GPS module + GSM make it an alternative to your smartphone. It was a bit over my budget, hence why I got the Archos in the first place. Bear in mind that Galaxy Tab has proprietary cable, the archos use micro usb and regular usb for the host. After so many reviews, I believe I know my stuff on cheap android tablets so ask away. One more thing: get one with at least Android Froyo so you can watch flash movies in the browser. Youtube works ok, sometimes choppy on mine but other video websites work a lot worse. Just be warned.

20. tappan

tappan Loaded Pockets

The average dimensions of a 7" tablet put it around the size of a large paperback novel. As for complaints about reading pdfs(too small, too much scrolling), both Adobe Acrobat and Aldiko (ebook reader supporting pdf/epub) allow font/article rescaling that work very well. Acrobat's 'Reflow Text' View mode seem the best to me for reading pdfs. (I'm using a Archos 70it)

But, for those of you wanting something light on the wallet, because HP discontinued there PC line (including tablets), their newly released 9.7" Touchpad dropped from ~$500 down to $99 this weekend.

Best Buy HP Touchpad 16GB - $99.99 (Out of Stock)

Although.. good luck finding one. They purportedly sold 350,000 units this weekend after the price drop. $400 discount does wonders....