1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Tablets, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by themadplumbarian, Aug 5, 2011.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

OK, Tablets,, does anyone have one? if so spill the beans cause i have no clue as to whats good, whats bad, and whats really ugly! ive been looking into getting one for when im away from my comp, sitting out watching the kids battling each other in the back yard, enjoying a cold one out by the fire pit, or laying in bed checking my mail before passing out. nothing fancy, just something basic, but not something that wont do anything. any suggestions?? I found one called a (Herotab) it has a package deal, along with a 8gb memory card, and a carry case with a built in keyboard. and the same one for a little more with a 16gb card, same case and a screen protector.. anyone herd of them? or have any other suggestions? any info would be greatly appreciated TY.. JR

2. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i have an original galaxy tab and am very happy with it. most of the folks i know who bought the off brand Chinese models weren't happy with them. the new Toshiba model looks promising. it has usb and sd card slots which i miss on my galaxy.

3. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Apple iPad
    - if you have wi-fi access everywhere you might use it - buy the original iPad 16gb wi-fi refurbished from Apple for $350
    - if you need wi-fi + 3G (cellular data, for when you don't have wi-fi) - buy the original iPad 32gb wi-fi + 3G from ATT for $430 + a $15 / month data plan

Allocate $30 in your budget for accessories (case, etc.)
    Allocate $50 in your budget for app store purchases over the next 6 months

Seriously - I am not an Apple fanboy, but when it comes to tablets / pads, there is really no other choice. You can pay less for an Android tablet, but about the time you figure out you're spending more time trying to get it to work then actually using it, you're going to go get an iPad anyways. Save yourself the frustration up front.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I use a ipod touch 4g. It basically does everything a ipad does except it fits in my pocket. I love it. I don't use a cell phone enough to get an iphone.

5. ScarletPimpernel

ScarletPimpernel Loaded Pockets

I have an iPad 2 and it really is very good; it's very well made, has a long-lasting battery and just works. The lack of Flash is a small irritation but overall it's probably still the best tablet at the moment. I tried an Archos (Android) tablet, too, but build quality and stability weren't as good; the sudden failure of the USB port was the last straw, not least because Archos's response was utterly hopeless.

6. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I have an iPad with WiFi. For what I use it for it works great. When you forget what it is and try to use it as a computer, that's when the frustration starts...

7. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

i like my wifes I-pod, but its just to dang small, and the I-pad is a little to big, i was looking for something a little between, a 7" tablet seems right, so if there was a I-ped, i think it would be just right! and i love the protective cover with the built in keyboard, the one i mentioned has 2 package deals you get the tablet, the cover, and an upgrade memory card, so i thought it would be just about right, but i just dont know anything about them?? so i figured i would ask, im not going to be on it every second, just when i want to check my mail, any new posts on here, a few books like my survival ones, some music, and if im stumped and dont have accesses to my comp while sitting outside between two wireless house connections. so i dont need a phone service, just a hot spot, JR

8. DialM

DialM Loaded Pockets

I have an iPad. It is the most frustrating device I have ever owned. F Steve Jobs for refusing to put Flash on it. It is great for everything other than browsing the web.

9. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Check out the HP Slate, it is the most expensive of the offerings but it is nice. As far as Android based tablets I am liking the Acer, way faster than the Motorola Xoom.

As a photographer I want a 15 inch tablet, something I can use as a mobile display with USB and Flash support.

10. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

You know why they left off all the stuff you want on your tablet! So they can s l o w l e y introduce them on following editions, of course you all knew that! Hard part is waiting until they finally have everything you want!

11. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

There's no way I'd ever purchase an iPad. I like to customize too much, and while the hardware itself is awesome, their policy regarding software sucks. An Android based pad I can put whatever software I choose, and anyone can make software for it. Tons of repositories out there. Apple, well.... your stuck with whatever Apple chooses to put in the store.

12. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Well - this is just not true.
    1. on the Android platform, I can only put on apps that are supported by the version of the Android kernel that is installed. For example, on my Android phone (stock 2.1, jailbroken and running 2.3) cannot run any Android apps that require 3.0
    2. There are more apps for the iOS (apple) platform and more independent software developers building apps for the iOS platform than there are for Android. Apple does have final say over what gets into the app store, but of course you always have the option to jailbreak your iPod / iPad.

to the OP - on second thought, there is an android tablet I would consider - the B&N Nook Color ebook reader is a well executed Android tablet under the covers that is easy to jaibreak and is well supported by an active community of developers.

Also to the OP - the tablet you original mentioned (Herotab?) looks like it is Android 2.2. Be very careful - Android 2.2 is by no means a tablet OS, more of a phone OS. Most of the well reviewed Android tablets are at 3.0 or above. 3.0 is considered the first version of Android for tablets.

13. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I'll stick with my ipod touch 4th gen. It does almost all the the ipad does and is more portable. Also, most charging systems are having trouble with the ipad. It needs a higher charge of power than phones or regular ipods do. The charging issue is what convinced me. I'll pass on a tablet for now.

14. DialM

DialM Loaded Pockets

Your inner apple fanboy is showing. Android devices are rooted, not jailbroken. You cannot ding the android platform for being updated, either. If anything, that is a ding against the iPad, for not having significant updates (you know, like when Android was updated to run Flash). You also didn't address the core argument neutrontech posted, other than to say it wasn't true. It is true: Android is open and iPad is closed.

15. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I have a China brand, Apad, 7" android tablet. Does what all the expensive ones do. I use it to play around on the web, and mostly to collect apps that I will never use, but are fun to monkey with. We bought 40 of them from China, and sold 32 of them. The remaining 8 were free because we charged just enough for the other 32 to pay forall of them. Its a nice tablet, under $200.00 is what we sold them for. I think we are upgraded to the gingerbread os now.

16. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

That's a nonsense statement - you're comparing an OS (Android) with a piece of hardware (iPad). The truth is independent developers can develop apps for either OS (Android or iOS) - so they both are "open". Apple does exercise more control over what gets into their app store - I'm not sure that means the same as "closed".

It's also true that most hardware platforms running Android are "open" (I can root the device and install the software I choose, however I'm not sure how useful or well supported Symbian or WP7 would be on my phone). It seems that in order to keep my phone useful, I really am limited to some flavor of Android. So "open" is a relative term. I have a Dell laptop that I have installed Mac OSX on and that I use to run GarageBand - that's open!

Apple hardware is "closed" (it's unlikely you can "root" an iPad or iPod). If I "jailbreak" an apple device, I can install apps from other sources than the official app store, but I will still be running iOS.

As far as neutrontech's arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrontech
    There's no way I'd ever purchase an iPad. I like to customize too much, and while the hardware itself is awesome, their policy regarding software sucks. An Android based pad I can put whatever software I choose, and anyone can make software for it. Tons of repositories out there. Apple, well.... your stuck with whatever Apple chooses to put in the store.

1. "their policy sucks" -- I assume this means their policy of limiting the apps you can install to be from the app store. Well, it might suck in his opinion, but consumers don't seem to find it that awful.
    2. "An Android based pad I can put whatever software I choose" -- simply not true. If I have an Android 2.2 based tablet, I can try all day, but I won't get an app that requires 3.0 to work. Note the same issue applies to Apple, but (and its an important but), for Apple hardware I can always apply the required upgrade in a relatively simple and painless way. Rooting my phone and then upgrading the ROM was not simple (pretty painless, but not simple). And no matter how much I might want to run Android 3.0 apps, I cannot update my phone to 3.0 because no one has produced a 3.0 ROM for it.
    3. "anyone can make software for it" (referring to Android) -- well anyone can make software for the iOS platform. In fact the latest surveys show >40,000 iOS developers and >10,000 Android developers
    4. "Tons of repositories out there. Apple, well.... your stuck with whatever Apple chooses to put in the store." -- it's probably not accurate to say that Apple "chooses" what to put in the store. Independent software developers submit apps to Apple for review. Apple checks for malware, compliance to their policies (no :censored:) before allowing apps into the store. Android lets you load apps from any source. Of course, that means the end user takes on responsibility for ensuring that they are not installing malware.

As far as apple fanboy-dom goes -- 1 win7 desktop, 1 win7 laptop, 1 xp laptop, 1 dell netbook running OSX, 1 iPad, 1 iPod Touch. 1 HTC Hero phone running CM7 Android 2.3 I'd call that a tie rather than fanboy.

17. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

I have the Motorola Xoom to go along with my Android smartphone. I also have an ipod touch, but I prefer Android.

18. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Well, my definition of "open" means that me, or a group of friends, can write software for mine or our devices. The bottom line reason for me to not get an ipad is that I'm forced to get my software from a single repository aka Apple. I know they just check for malware and/or criteria, but who really knows what their agenda is. They can theoretically refuse anything they want. Also, the software that I might need to run would likely be flagged as malware. It happens all the time on computers. I plug my flash drive in a customer's computer and a bunch of apps get nuked by their AV. They aren't infected, but they allow me access to parts of the system that normal people don't access, so it is "suspicious". If I get infected with a virus, well that's on me and I can fix it. I don't need Apple to protect me or censor things from my "virgin eyes".

19. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

"The bottom line reason for me to not get an ipad is that I'm forced to get my software from a single repository aka Apple."
    Not true - Google is your friend. Look up "jailbreak iOS" and "Cydia". Lots of ways to get non-Apple approved apps on an iOS device.

"but who really knows what their agenda is"
    Apparently its to make buckets of cash.

"Also, the software that I might need to run would likely be flagged as malware. It happens all the time on computers. I plug my flash drive in a customer's computer and a bunch of apps get nuked by their AV."
    this would be a valid argument if we were talking about open PC or mac computers. But this is a consumer device, not a general purpose computer. The whole idea is that you don't need to fix it because the end user doesn't have any ability to mess with it, kind of like a DVR, or washing machine. It's a tool you use to consume media and do certain constrained tasks, not a PC. And BTW, this is why tablets are gutting the low end laptop / netbook market. Its because customers want simple tools to do simple things and they don't want to deal with the complexity of a PC. They just want to read their email, surf the web and watch Netflix.

20. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I owned a first gen iPad 32GB Wi-fi and absolutely loved it for games, videos and web surfing. The only complaint I had against them was any sort of extended typing (long emails, messaging, etc.)