1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic key fob help

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Octagon, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Octagon

Octagon Loaded Pockets

Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the size of electronic key fob for cars? Specifically I have a BMW and a Dodge and both no longer use keys. They have the electronic key fob for locking and unlocking and they are proximity types that must be in the car to start with push button starting. I would like to find another way to have the function without the key bulk or maybe an alternative such as a watch or watch like attachment. Maybe a RFID type card I could keep in my wallet. If not how are people carrying multiple key fobs?

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I forget who it was, but there was a member around here a ways back who took apart the plastic shell of his fob and then wrapped the innards in what looked like electrical tape or shrink wrap. This made for a much smaller unit. I don't think I'd do this without being really confident of what I was doing though.

Just remembered, it was Thirsty Turtle who did that to a VW flip key remote: http://edcforums.com/threads/thirstyturtles-edc.129621/

I have one of those fobs that has a "switch key" built in. I have it clipped to the top of my pickpocket dangler. This allows me to keep the key either inside my pocket or hang it outside my pocket for easy access. I have carried multiple key fobs on the top ring of the dangler, but this can get a bit bulky and I only do it when moving my family's vehicles around the property. I then unclip the fob from the rest of the keys to insert the keyfob to drive.

I have read about some folks who have used small belt holsters to carry their car fobs. Holsters designed for lighters or small phones can be good for this.

You could also have your fob as part of a second key chain. Put it on a dangler on the opposite side from your main key chain.

Last edited by Water-Rat, Jan 10, 2017
    #2 Water-Rat, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. bub

bub Loaded Pockets

I have been searching the Internet for some way of doing this for the past few weeks. I think BMW are heading the way of using your phone but this is quite a hefty price option. Will be very cool to just be able to use your phone for everything.

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Then you exit your vehicle and drop your phone while crossing the street... and it's immediately run over by a bus.

(don't mind me, I'm old and still view smartphones with great suspicion)

Airborne 1 likes this.
  5. bub

bub Loaded Pockets

That is my only concern as well, I do not think I could trust a smart phone to be able to get in to a car. Lol

garza likes this.
  6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You could remove the bulky plastic housing like Thirsty Turtle did, but I don't know if I'm that brave...

I could be wrong, but I think that most of the proximity fobs are active RFIDs, meaning that they are able to work over a much greater range because they are electronically broadcasting a signal using power from the battery in your remote. RFIDs in most cards or keys only work over a short range because they are passive RFIDs. Passive RFIDs absorb energy from radio waves and transmit the data on the chip back to the inquiring source.

I've been thinking about the same thing myself. I don't have the proximity fobs, so I could just carry my key, but I like the functionality of a click fob.

My wife and I both have the same make of vehicle, though, so I'm wondering if I can code each of our remotes for both vehicles. There could potentially be some problems with this, of course...

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@jag-engr: one would think you could cross-program the fobs. It is done with some other older technology. For example, we have a two-car garage, with two separate doors and hence two 'fobs' to control the doors. Each of them though can also open the other door.

Probably just depends on how the car key fobs were designed. (Stating the obvious!)

Be interesting to know the answer.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The electronics in those fobs are quite simple and should not be overly consumptive of space. It is the housing that are typically bloated in physical size because most people will tend to lose them if they are made too minuscule.

I eliminated the fob one for my vehicle and just use the key.

9. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I believe Octagon is talking about a self contained key-fob for use with push button start.

I think these are much more complex than the older lock/unlock key-fob.

10. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I can't imagine anyone who would do this !!

So they crack the plastic key-fob and wrap the remaining pieces in a ball of electrical tape??

Even if the vehicle still recognizes the remote and allows the car to start, you would loose the lock/unlock & trunk buttons, etc...

Just throw the key in your pocket / purse / backpack / briefcase / whatever and forget about it :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

In the case that I saw, the person still had use of the lock/unlock and trunk buttons. I think they were using a standard key to start the car. Look at the link to thirsty's thread I posted in my post above.

12. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I would never bust open a new BMW smart key like that.

I don't care if the key-fob was the size of a brick... it's worth it :)

[​IMG]

Water-Rat likes this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Perhaps Octagon was indeed discussing about what you referenced; however, I was not.

14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The lock/unlock functions fob can be included in an over sized keyhead since the electronics is relatively small. The circuit boards in bigger fobs are mostly unused green space by design.

15. JC807

JC807 Loaded Pockets

I've always had separate set of keys for each vehicle.

16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The phone is a basket... there is some value in carefully weighing what eggs you are willing to put into it.

ATB,
    Sam

17. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Some have the view that "My phone is everything! It's how I keep in touch with family and friends. It's my internet access. It's how I do my banking and manage other services. It's my entertainment. It grants me access to my vehicle and home."

While convenient, it wouldn't take much for things to go really bad. You exit your vehicle and press a button on your phone to lock the doors. Then you drop your phone in the street and it's run over by a truck. Instantly you're in a situation where you're pretty much helpless. "I need to call the car dealership to get a key to get in my vehicle so I can get home. Wait. I don't have a way of calling the dealership (good luck finding a pay phone). Even if I did have some form of communication, how would I look up their phone number? I don't have internet access any more. Even if I were to get home, how am I going to get into my house?" ...and so on.

Meh. Eventually people will pay a monthly fee for phone insurance. The service will detect your phone going offline and will dispatch a quad-copter drone with a new phone, cloned with your personal info, to your last known coordinates.*

* - I have no interest in pursuing this, so anyone is welcome to make use of the idea.

Last edited by Blackheart, Today at 9:58 AM
    #17 Blackheart, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM