1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Hearing Protection Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by gooseman1991, Dec 25, 2013.

1. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

I searched the forum and I don't think this has been discussed specifically. As a Christmas present to myself I've been thinking of buying some electronic earmuffs that block out loud noises but allow for normal conversation. I was born hearing impaired and have some tinnitus that I don't want to make any worse so I plan to use these while plinking around and hunting. I understand that some models not only allow for normal sounds to be heard but amplify quieter sounds which seems like advantage for hunting.

Give me your thoughts,
    Goose

2. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I like Peltor SportTacs for a good value. The cheaper Peltor Tactical 6S is not worth it, IMHO. I have seen a lot of people using the Howard Leight electronic muffs, but I have not tried them myself.

3. whoppo

whoppo Loaded Pockets

The Howard leight sport headset is quite good. Only $50 (or less), thin enough to not interfere with a good rifle stock cheek weld and they absolutely work as advertised. We have several of these and have never been disappointed.

@@ BlackBerry 10 Mobile Messaging @@

4. Ronin101

Ronin101 Loaded Pockets

I love my MSA Sordin's they are around 180.00 for a base model. Small streamlined ear cups, so if you have large ears they mighth not work. But very good electronics and amplification. If you only shoot rifle I would look into the in ear brands!!

5. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

I like the Howard Leights. I've used them in several classes and every time I go to the range. I generally double up (surefire sonic defenders in ear w/ Howard Leights on the outside) if I'm at an indoor range and there are a lot of other shooters, but I've never had a problem with just the Leights when at an outdoor range.

I'd like to pick up a pair of Sordin's and know lots of guys who swear by them, but its not very high on my list.

me_john85 likes this.
  6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I've had Pro-Ears for years. They do a good job of cutting out the sounds of shooting, but at the same time, they will amplify everything else. The first time I use them was at an IPDA match and we were walking to our first stage and I kept hearing the strangest noise. It was the sound of the gravel underfoot. I've know some people that still wear ear plugs with them just to double up for extra protection and then crank the electronic muffs up so they can still hear whats going on.

marcclarke likes this.
  7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The Howard Leights offer outstanding protection, they're sturdy, and the price is right. I really like them.

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I use Pro Ears, also, but the behind the ear Pro Hear II's. Although these are not muffs, such as Grayman's, they work really well, both amplifying sound and then suppressing anything over 85 db's. Downsides: expensive at approx. $200 each ear, eat 123 batteries (I'll usually get only two or three uses out of a set) and (although I've never had this problem) people say they're fragile ... But, I try to avoid alligator wrestling when wearing them ... YMMV.

9. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a pair of these and am quite happy with them, the only flaw is that changing the batteries is a total pain in the butt.

10. gooseman1991

I'm seeing lots of positive reviews about the Howard Leights both Sport and Pro models. Anyone have any comparison thoughts?

Goose

11. Nags

Nags Loaded Pockets

I have the Sport model and they are excellent.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

12. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Sordins if you are shooting.
    Otherwise Peltor brand.
    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

13. gooseman1991

Went with the Impact Pro model. Got to test them out yesterday and I am very pleased! They do not completely cut out the gunshots but they bring them down to a safe level. So awesome to be out shooting and communicate. I was hoping to hunt with them and I am not sure how well hunting with muffs and long guns will work. Regardless, the product works as it claims.

Goose

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  14. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

It's becoming more common for people to keep these on the nightstand for HD use. Honestly, I think it's a solid idea. I have the impact sport model, and I love them. They work as advertised, and they're not bulky at all.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk 4

gooseman1991 likes this.
  15. StJimmyS21

StJimmyS21 Loaded Pockets

I like the HL's as well, but after a rainy range session, they started to give me issues. I still have them as loaners in my range bag, but my go-to are MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X...figured buy once/cry once.

The Peltor Tac 6's are a great offering on a budget.

16. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

I hear ya, they are great at an outdoor range but not at an active indoor range. I really like them and they work very well in every situation except at the indoor range.

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

My sis and her husband love theres. I've tried them on...but they were pick so I didn't go out in them:p I liked them...but I'd like them better in black:D

18. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Replying again to kind of agree with this. I choose to double up at indoor ranges, as well. I want to add that I like that they don't cancel more than they do. For home use, they are amazing.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk 4