1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Earmuff decision...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dawgfan76, Jan 11, 2016.

1. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Looking at either the Howard Leight Impact Sport ($41) or Walkers Game Ear Ultimate Alpha ($35 on sale).

Anyone have either? Looking for pros and cons please. Thank you.

Weej likes this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What will you use them for?
    How important to you is preserving your ability to hear?
    Do MORE research and find the one with the highest quality that you can afford. I lost 15% ability in one ear and 10% in the other decades ago when discharging a number of firearms while running around some obscure jungle because I wasn't paying attention to how to protect myself from that hazard.

Those models are cheap; however, they do offer some modicum of protection. It's a good start. Get something better when you are able to afford them.

Good luck!

Sigdog, Weej and jag-engr like this.
  3. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Shooting pistols, shotguns and rifles. What do you suggest? Cost is not really an issue. I've been using standard earmuffs for years, but just notice\d electronics....

Weej likes this.
  4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I have the Howard leights.

They're okay if you're shooting pistols outside....as long as they're underpowered 9mm and not compensated.

Inside? They don't work well enough. Bigger gun? Not good enough. Compensators? Not good enough. 9mm+P? Not good enough.

At least for my preference and the way the numbers seem to work to me.

NRR on them is only 22dB, which brings a 9mm outside to right about the government approved level for impulse noises, which I think is a little high anyway. And that's pretending NRR is correct for impulse noises, which is a dubious assumption.

I use them exclusively over 33-39dB NRR plugs, mostly so I can hear range commands, but also because my AR has a very aggressive comp and might be loud enough to cause damage through the plugs.

If you actually want to be safe, wear double ears (plugs and muffs) and/or go for muffs with more (physical) volume and a higher NRR. Good ones seem to start around $100.

Also, if your glasses prevent a good seal between the ear cups and your head, you're losing some protection. Like, a lot of it.

FYI, shooting under a roof adds ~3dB. Shooting in a small-ish closed room adds another ~3dB. Though I don't know which weighting that is for...has to do with source loading....and I'm kind of assuming speakers work similarly to gunshots. So, I think it's a little worse for A weighted impulse noises as opposed to C weighted continuous noises.

Basically, they're not good enough.

33dB NRR is where I think they kick in, based mostly on unscientific experimentation and the fact that I have the best ears for my age that my audiologist has ever seen.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

Weej likes this.
  5. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Thank you. I shoot mostly outside, if not almost exclusively. I shot with a family that all had what appeared to be Impacts last weekend and I liked that they could communicate easily without removing the muffs.

Weej likes this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Passive (non-electronic) protection
    Surefire EP-10 (NRR 30) AND the Pro-Ears Ultra Pro Premium Headband Ear Muff (NRR 30) when discharging any of my firearms during training. No, you don't achieve 60 dB for that combination. Sound pressure level does not work that way.

Electronic protection
    Pro-Ears Pro Mag Gold Series Electronic Shooting Ear Muffs (NRR 30) AND Surefire EP-10 (NRR 30)

I like the Pro-ears product because they feel most comfortable to wear.

There is much valuable information on the earplugstore web page.

Weej and jag-engr like this.
  7. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Look at Peltor's Tactical 100. I bought a pair from Home Depot for my wife last Christmas for something like $60 or $70. They work almost as well as my Peltor SV's but were a fraction of the cost and the have a lower profile (I noticed last week my SV's were getting in the way when shooting my Tavor).

If you're going to shoot indoors consider a supplementary pair of in-ear inserts, again Peltor has a nice set that isn't too expensive. If indoors the ear muffs alone usually aren't enough.

Weej likes this.
  8. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I had howard leight and other various electronic muffs. My favorite is the Tactical 100 from Peltor. The extra 30-40 bucks is completely worth it. They create a great seal around my ears whereas no other electronic muffs would. I can use them without secondary ear plugs at an indoor range, but I still prefer doubling up.

Weej likes this.
  9. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i picked up a pair of the peltor ultimate 10s (passive) a few days ago. i haven't gotten to use them yet while shooting, but i do know they work better than the 3m pair i have for use in my shop and while using the mower/trimmer/blower for yard work. and those work pretty well. i also plan on using some internal, foam ear plugs in addition to the peltors for double protection.

i wanted to get the peltor tactical 100s, but didn't have enough on me at the time so i opted for the ultimate 10s. i do know that i WILL be getting the 100s at a later date. i put them on in the store and they did offer better protection. obviously, they cost more. but if they offer better protection, then they're worth the extra cost.

my suggestion is to get the best you can afford.

hearing and eye protection is not to be taken lightly.

Weej likes this.
  10. mich3210

mich3210 Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of the Howard Leights, and when I was looking for a second pair for the wife I bought the Peltor Tactical 100's at Home Depot. I have to say, that the Peltor's are a better muff. They seal up much better. They cut out a little longer, but the response is just as good. I'd go with those over the HL. I actually plan on buying another pair at some point and reserve the HL for a guest.

Weej likes this.
  11. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I strongly prefer NRR30 and up. I also prefer electronic muffs. That brings me to the Howard Leight Impact Pro as being reasonably priced with that capability. I'm not aware of any electronic muffs that offer better protection.

Weej likes this.
  12. hotworms

hotworms Loaded Pockets

I have the Howard Leight, they work ok. However I don't think the head band fits that well. too large. I don't think my head is that small/short. I have them adjusted all the way down and the band still sits off the top of my head. They would be ok with a hat, but when I shoot indoors with additional plugs they are too big. I have been looking at the Peltor Tac 100.
    I think that will be my next purchase. Good luck with your decision.

Weej likes this.
  13. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Home Depot has Peltor's on sale. The were $60 the other week. Well worth the price.

Weej likes this.
  14. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

have howard leights as well, but generally double up anyway so I don't benefit much from electronic versions.

Weej likes this.
  15. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I have the Howard Leights, I wear them with ear plugs. Being able to hear things going on around you is something I don't think I can ever go back to not having...you can turn the volume up on these things and hear yourself reloading mags, but still not get your ears blown off by the guy shooting next to you. I think they're good for the money, but there are likely far better options out there that provide better protection. I certainly wouldn't wear them by themselves.

Weej likes this.
  16. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Howard Leights plus ear plugs. Good combination. I only shoot outdoors so they meet my needs.

jps and Weej like this.
  17. jps

jps Loaded Pockets

I have the Howard Leights....and always wear plugs with them. They don't seal very well over my glasses and made the mistake of not using plugs only once.

Weej likes this.
  18. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

electronic muffs generally offer less protection to accommodate electronics in a small cup. Except for very unique circumstances where I simply must hear casual conversation, I would not opt for electronic muffs. I consider a few more db protection to be more important but I realize that some people have their own personal criteria.

jps and Weej like this.
  19. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

I wear both ear plugs and electronic ear muffs - its the best of both worlds. I turn up the volume on the muffs so I can hear normal conversation, but when the muffs cut out I get the protection of both the muffs and the plugs.

Strayz, Weej and jps like this.
  20. Tax Stamp

Tax Stamp Loaded Pockets

I do the same. If I'm shooting unsuppressed rifles and pistols, I will double up my ear pro

jps likes this.
  21. dawgfan76
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Went with the Howard Leight Impact Sport. Thanks for all your input.