1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electronic devices on planes.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Lunal_Tic, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I just got in from Tokyo recently and heard a new warning from the flight crew prior to both take off and landing, "Anything with a battery and a switch needs to be turned off." That would seem to include noise canceling head phones that they give to you for in-flight use, flashlights, cameras, or even hearing aids for that matter. Makes me wonder how we were able to fly all those millions of miles for all those years without a crash every third day. I feel so much safer now. :rolleyes:

Additionally in the back of the American Airlines flight magazine it lists wireless computer mice and cordless headphones as no-nos. Another interesting bit written back in there is this: "Use of still or video cameras for film or digital is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personal, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited."

Also before leaving Tokyo I had heard/read about the restriction of Nintendo DS game systems for carry-on bags. Originally it was delivered so as to make it appear that the games would not be even allowed in your carry-on much less allowed to be used in flight. A little more research came up with more detail, they didn't want you using the wireless function while flying. It would be nice if that was how it was presented in the first place, always seems like the media wants to make the biggest deal out of the smallest items. :shrug:

While not directly related to being in a plane we were admonished by one of the staff that use of cell phones in the immigration areas could cause the computers to go down as it had the other day for about 4 hours. Wow, the EMP pulse given off by today's high tech cell phones must be pretty severe. I wonder what it's doing to the electrical signals in our brains. :green:

Yes a bit of this is tongue in cheek but though some of the restrictions have been fairly ridiculous before it would appear we've not hit the limits of them yet. :brickwall:

-LT

2. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Considering you're traveling 600 mph in a thin metal shell at 50,000 feet, I have no problems with these restrictions. :angel: I oke to use a video iPod and Zen creative in flight. Once I was fooling around with one of the devices during takeoff, and the stewardess had a fit, and had no sense of humor about it :thumbsdown: , so that must be serious business-about the takeoff and landings.

Whenever we fly to Okinawa, we use JapanAir. Back in 2000, I couldn't board with my Gerber Multitool-they returned it to me after we landed. But they were so professional and polite in how they handled it, it wasn't an issue.

3. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Troubles aside,

Glad to have you back in the USA LT.

Dan

:)

4. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Thanks Dan. Still have interesting sleep patterns but it's nice to be back for a while.

I'd be more inclined to accept them if they actually had supportable and repeatable research to back up their "better safe than sorry" restrictions that are in large part a response to legal concerns.

-LT