1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Electric Smart Meters

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ran23, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

our City pushed these 'Smart Meters' on everyone's home. $200 or so fine, if you opted out. My wife thinks it is interfering with her smart phone. My Amazon TV Stick is closer to it and no problems with my WiFi point. Yes, I read they can gather some info like your times of heavy usage. anything else??

Froley likes this.
  2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Depending on how your usage was being measured in the past they can charge you more for devices that use power less 'neat'. And old fashioned lightbulb for example takes in power in a very nice calm way, but modern devices with switching power supplies can create unwanted 'interference' back onto the power-grid that power companies can charge you extra over.

Other than that, security on these devices is often sub-par and the data collected from smart meters can be used and sold for many uses none of which wil really benefit the end user. The very least you can do is disable the communication of the device (this will mean you have to regularly give you power company your meters readings like in the old days). This might also help with the interference your wife is experiencing, or it could have nothing to do with anything and she just wants a new phone.

Most people i know that have smart meters don't know/care/even realise they have one. I am not most people, i dont like these meters. My home is scheduled to receive one somewhere this year, fun times are ahead.

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I still have a lot of candelabra lights bulbs. may leave them in place for a while. LED everywhere else.

4. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

We just got smart water meters--and my first bill was as if I had drained lake Tahoe---!
    Had to fight the city with a plumbers statement that I did not have a water main leak---it was insane---! The city water department would not even consider that the meter could be off or wrong---! It is Danger Close with these smart meters.....

Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.
  5. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

If you are really concerned, might be worthwhile to get a HackRF radio or similar to chart the radio frequency environment. My experience is the smart meter Comms have caused zero interference nor caused me more concern than WiFi routers. Y

Amazing what actual evidence might tell you... there are lots of RF sources in your home and neighborhood that radiate more energy. Might may you rethink your microwave oven. In my neck of the woods, the only reason there are true smart meters is when utilities got “free” Obama stimulus money to install them. Smart meters seem to be mostly a triumph of good intentions over good cost-benefit analysis by political actors.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hate to rain on your parade. I have these also. Latest replenishment trip at Walmart: only versions available are also LED type!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  7. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Known fact that smart meters communicate with internet connected appliances in your house. They supposedly can also communicate with the new bulbs. Weird stuff thru the flicker rate. Its creepy. I've heard that they don't even last as long as the analog meters soooo cost effective isn't really what cities are going for. But what the hell do I know? I also don't drink fluoride and held out to have a human read my meter. I'm ridiculous, I know .

Moshe ben David and ran23 like this.