1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDW (everyday workout)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Viper101, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Apparently there is a lot of local variation, Cheeser ... probably because it's an eclectic style. In my case I would put it between Tae Kwon Do (TKD) and Krav Maga as an actual fighting art ... But, again, that's based on our local variety, which includes the already mentioned TKD, Judo, the weapons training, a bit of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, and Krav Maga.

After seven years I finally earned a red belt, which is just before black belt in our system.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 20, 2016
    Cheeser and Daywalker like this.
  2. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

:eek:
    :rofl:

Never had to do it, but if it's like shoveling gravel/mud...that's a workout!

Roger that H1Bro!

atilano
    Take care of those knees sir! My soulmate used to run a lot before, but it's taken it's toll on one of her knees.

Ahhh someone who speaks Mook Jong, Escrima, and Bodybuilding... Nice.
    Seriously..."a bit"?!? If you're blowing out the armpits of your shirts...

Excellent piece of equipment. I use these often. Will be sure to tell Alden about you using them sir!

That's the key sir.;)

Ahhhh okay, THAT explains the weight on that kettlebell you're swinging! You are totally on the right track in terms of longevity: Functional Fitness Stuff. Also, i gotta give you props for doing yoga with your wife.
    Can relate to injury as well when a 2.5 ton bundle of rebar broke the :censored: out of my right tibia, cracked my fibula as well. Was in a cast to my hip for 3 months, then a cast from below my knee for another 3. My Achilles shortened, so I had to modify my stance in squats and deadlifts. My technique got better after I busted my leg though...guess it had to though because it was kinda like re-learning everything again since I was in a cast for so long. Train safe!

Sir, when I was his age, when dinosaurs roamed the earth...wait, or was that you walking around? Couldn't tell since your traps were hiding your face!:D You got me on the bench, I screwed up my left delt bad showing off like an idiot when it was co-ed day at this gym when I was in High School. SO my bench I would scratch on. Weird though, as doing DB Flyes never bothered said delt? Squat I managed a legal 405 for 1 rep, and did 5 sets of 5 with 435 on the DL. No powersuit, but I did use knee wraps and a belt on that squat. DL only a belt. I dieted down to be in the 132# class when i did these lifts.The weights you did ARE impressive sir...AND you are absolutely correct:
    Just do it, each day, every day. Move it or lose it, right?;)

That counts as resistance sir! take care of your back!

:rofl: Good to see you SamuraiVader sir!

Tai Chi...learned the empty hand form but forgot most of it, however I learned a Yang style Sword form I do from time to time. Aikido...sir, doing shiiko with heavy Bokken is something that can really be a butt kicker! Hapkido...I am not surprised in the least you'd be doing that Mr. Hapa!:rolleyes:

I agree on the weapons...they got some excellent cane techniques. Highly effective for an old poot-poot like me. Add to that Kenjutsu/Kendo...woooHoooo!!! Krav is just awesome. Period.

Cycling...excellent! My soulmate likes the elliptical due to her bad knee from running a lot on hard, uneven terrain.

Then that makes you a fighter SamuraiVader sir!;)

Kind of...It's like if Peter Parker got bitten by a radioactive odd humored Ninja instead of a spider and became Deadpool.:p

Last edited by Daywalker, Jan 22, 2016
  3. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Cobra 6 Actual
    Congrats on your promotion sir!

TRAIN SAFELY everyone!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Thank you, sir! Well, look who's up early, Daywalker ... what is it 3:25 a.m. in the Islands right now?

thePlumbah and Daywalker like this.
  5. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Up early? I have yet to go to sleep Mr. HapaKIDO sir!;) It's now 0334hrs here. I dunno what's more impressive right now...your promotion OR that you still running on HI time!:D
    Have a great day and be safe sir!

Unagi42 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Hey, it's easy, Daywalker ... I just count backwards five hours. Besides when I was a young man after a long shift and pau hana I would still be out with my buddies on Sand Island going "Okole maluna" at Zero Dark 30.

Daywalker likes this.
  7. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Roger that. Even in the most "rigid" of traditional systems, there are certain...differences. Even in eclectic "styles" I have experienced what Yoda told Luke in Empire: "You must unlearn what you have learned". Hard to do that sometimes...especially once the training hits real time speed.

Unagi42 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

:rofl: Hana okolele! Auwe! No worries...that info stays with me...and i hope with anyone else who can decipher it!:rofl: Sand Island...really?!? That place really changed...Make sure you DON'T!:hug:

9. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Exactly! Hey, my mis-used youth, Daywalker: I spent my money on whiskey and women, the rest I just wasted! But, I cleaned up my act when I got married.

Back on martial arts for a sec: as a federal agent I quickly realized that I couldn't shoot everyone that we were arresting (back in the late '60's when I started working, the idea of a force continuum was still just being conceptualized), so I began taking TKD. Then I had a long hiatus while I worked on getting promoted. Frankly, Hapikido turned out to be exactly what I needed!

EDIT: My apologies to the OP for the thread drift!

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Jan 20, 2016
    Daywalker likes this.
  10. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

I think that's what the "youth stage" of life is for...sort of.:D

That's interesting in regards to the Force Continuum. Gosh, it might sound terrible, but there were many times on duty when I wish it was never conceived. Glad you found "something" that worked for you during that time, and is still working for you now! You're definitely an inspiration! (Probably even more so to the "young lions" here in regards to your shenanigans on Sand Island!:rofl:)
    Have a great day and be safe sir!

PS: Thank YOU.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

when dinosaurs roamed the earth...wait, or was that you walking around?:rofl:
    Yep, that was me!:p
    The weights that I hefted weren't that impressive. I saw others weighing much less lifting more. Still, I did the best I could. I wouldn't do it again.:nah_disagree:

12. eng1nerd

eng1nerd Loaded Pockets

I actually chose to shovel over using the snow blower yesterday. Been sitting at my desk for the better part of a fortnight (is that the right way to use that Cheeser ?). Needed to be outside and move around, plus there was only a little more than an inch on the ground.

Daywalker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I do an hour of water aerobics followed by an hour of shallow water jogging three times a week. The water is the only place I don't feel like a cripple. I'm slow. In an hour I go 1200 meters which is about 3/4 of a mile.

Sent by owl post.

Unagi42, JPHing, Kilted1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Dubbs

Dubbs Loaded Pockets

That doesn't sound slow to me, Catherine! I swim Masters, three times a week. I go about 2200 meters in an hour. I'd rather swim on top of the water than try to slog through it. That must really strengthen your legs.

Unagi42, Daywalker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  15. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Monday, Wednesday and Friday:
    Dips 3 sets of 20 reps , Concentration curls 3 sets of 10 reps @ 15kg or palm in/bicep pull ups 3 sets till failure
    Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday:
    run 2-4 km, Pushups 5 sets of 20 reps or 3 sets till failure. Palm out pull ups 3 sets till failure or 1 arm back rows 3 sets of 10 reps @ 22kg
    Crunches 3 sets till failure everyday (recently started)

Escrima for 2hrs on Tuesday and Thursday at the dojo and 15 to 1/2 hr every other day

Cobra 6 Actual and Daywalker like this.
  16. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha sir,
    I said that in reference to what Mako says in Conan. AND because I got to see Dorian YATES guest pose at a show before he started his Mr. Olympia run. Before the stage lights went on, all you heard was Mako say, "In the days when GIANTS roamed the earth..." Then Yates came out. Yikes.

( I used dinosaurs because I am old.:oops:)

So it WAS you! I knew it. Not to beat on a dead horse, but the weights you lifted without steroids ARE impressive 0dBm! Hope your Mook Jong arrived intact?
    Be safe!

CatherineM
    Ma'am, it doesn't matter how SLOW you might feel...main thing is you are DOING "something"! Good on you and keep it up!
    Be safe!

JPHing

VERY good workout regimen. It's very similar to something I do these days. I tell you, the sticks get heavy after awhile huh?:D Maybe one day, WE will be able to replicate the "immortal" workout of 0dBm!
    Train safe!

JPHing and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping so. My legs are still partially paralyzed. I can move them most of the time. There are parts that are numb but I get nerve spasms in. Regular walking is hard because I never know when one side isn't going to mind my brain and make me stumble. At least in the pool I have a soft landing if I trip.

Sent by owl post.

Daywalker and Dubbs like this.
  18. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

I hit a PR last night, jerking a 48kg kettlebell overhead on each arm for the first time. The extra yoga is paying off!

Daywalker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  19. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

I need to run regularly to keep my cholesterol in check. I have been training for LA Marathon so it was 10 miles run every other day since late September. All the better runner in my group had integrate yoga and weights in to their work out. I need to do the same but could not make myself just yet. Hopefully soon. For now it's just 5sets of10 push ups and 5 pull ups on my nonrun days. I should add some sit ups to that routine but I hurt my back couple years ago and it never felt quite right. We have a community gym and I need to use it more.

Viper101 and Daywalker like this.
  20. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

For what it is worth, when I was a trainer I worked with an Olympic marathon qualifying hopeful (she ran a 2:45) and she definitely benefitted from two sessions a week of weightlifting. The key with runners is to do one set with at least twenty reps to work the aerobic system. Also I would go with planks over sit-ups. Better on the back and more accurately stresses the muscles used running.

Daywalker and Adam Ng like this.