1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Educate me on automatics?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Minibear453, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Specifically, the seiko 5. I'm considering buying a seiko 5, snk809 or 805, but I've never had an automatic before. How delicate are these watches? I've been reading a bunch of things about how an automatic is more delicate than a quartz, but then on the flip side, I've read of people buying the seiko 5 as a "beater" watch. So how much abuse can the watch stand? Would it be safe to play volleyball with one on? And is the 30m water resistance a concern?

And much more trivial, but which color, in your opinion, looks best? Black or green? :p

trickcunningham likes this.
  2. bennyG19

bennyG19 Loaded Pockets

Pay a little more and get a Seiko 007. I've had mine for a few years now and love it. It still looks new.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

3. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

nice watch, but the cheapest I can find it for is more than twice of the seiko 5. Bit too much for my paltry budget ATM. :blink:

OreoGaborio and trickcunningham like this.
  4. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm really interested in auto watches as well. The Seiko 5 looks awesome. I'd love to check one out. Hmm...might be putting some stuff on BST...

5. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Check out Orient Makos and Rays. Much lower priced than the Seiko 07s and very nice automatics. I was steered towards the purchase of mine by many folks here.

Minibear453 likes this.
  6. fabian-789

fabian-789 Loaded Pockets

Yeah that watch is on my list of upcoming purchases.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The O07 has the same movement as the 5s, so if good timekeeping is what your after they'll be the same. The little Seiko 5 military is probably the best deal out there in a quality auto for around $70.

stax likes this.
  8. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm somewhat set on the seiko 5. From what I've seen, it's one of the cheapest automatics that do not sacrifice quality for the price range. At around $60, it's something I can actually afford. :p The reason I'm wary is because of the durability factor of the automatics in generally, and specifically about the Seiko 5, Snk809. Just wondering of the 7s26 movement can survive the impacts that I might expose it to, such as hammering, drilling, jackhammers, or sports.

9. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I would avoid the jackhammering, but I wear my 007 and My 5 to the range, swing hammers, drill....etc. There are plenty of people that wear auto in some pretty rough environments-combat even.

Minibear453 likes this.
  10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

The 7s26 is the same movement found in the venerable Monster and is known as a "workhorse". Short of jackhammering, it will hold up to 95% of the tasks you will do.

11. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

My Seiko 5s haven't given me any problems so far. I've hammered and beat on cars with both of them on and haven't had a thing go wrong.

12. bennyG19

bennyG19 Loaded Pockets

Seiko 5 is great cor low cost auto. Also check out the Russian autos.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

thatotherguy likes this.
  13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i have three auto/s,, and two are monsters ,, i never think of them a delicate to me they canhandle anything any other watch can take
    plus they are mechanical, which means they can be repaired, with a quartx movement most of the time a problem with the movement means
    time fo a new watch

never needing a battery is a plus plus for me, autos keep good time especially if worn daily, they dont keep perfect time like a quartz,

14. O.J.

O.J. Loaded Pockets

Don't worry about it. Beat it up, then beat it some more.

15. Cavemanchris

Cavemanchris Loaded Pockets

Love mine. Wear it everywhere, work, pub, black tie diners, everywhere. Haven't tried it in water beyond washing my hands with it on but surely having no 'lectrics it would just need drying out.

However, when I lose it or don't wear it for a few days, setting the the date/day is a bit of a :censored:. Also the strap has came off several times in the last 18 months or so.

As for being a 'beater', it's the most expensive (I'm quite poor/tight) watch I own and it get treat the same same as my £5 Casio.

CC

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The theory is that because an automatic is made from an array of incredibly precise intermeshing mechanical parts, they will be slightly more susceptible to a shock knocking them out of place and damaging the movement. A quartz watch on the other hand uses electronics in place of this, which is obviously solid and non-moving, so a hardier item.

In reality, unless you are abusing a watch, you don't have to worry - automatics won't take kindly to being dropped on concrete floors for example, and you do hear stories about how playing golf or shooting firearms can cause problems, but to be honest there are just as many who do these regularly without ever thinking about the watch on their wrist, or noting any problems. So read that as you wish ;)

The Seiko 5's and other models with the same movement are also noted as being a great basic movement, and as such are will known as being one of the more solid and hardy options out there.

I have heard lots of good things about the Seiko 5 series, so really you won't go far wrong with one.

Personally my main watches are either Citizen eco-drives or Casio digitals which is entirely a personal preference. Some prefer the knowledge that their watch is a fine mechanical piece and somehow possesses a soul, and they like the fact it automatically winds. Others prefer the better timekeeping of a quartz and hate the fact that an auto runs out of power and stops if not worn for a couple of days. There is no correct answer, though I figure I probably do need to get myself an auto at some point to see what all the fuss is about :p

stax likes this.
  17. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Sorry for not replying, but I was busy getting this. :D[​IMG]

18. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

easy way to set time and date on auto watches

first get the watch running, a few back and forth motions should do the trick,, set the date and day a day back (ex if today is thurs 17th set the date ane day to wed 16th,
    now go the the time setting and go forward till the day and date change to the correct day and date ,, if its after 12 noon remember to go 12 hours ahead and set the time
    and your set

19. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Jealous!!

20. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Haha, thanks. Mine's at -2 seconds a day. :D Much better than I was prepared for. Only thing is, the strap feels kind of cheap, and it's starting to fray a bit. Thinking of going with some sort of Nato strap. Not really sure about a good brand/color though.

Jayphog likes this.