1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Educate Me About Fixed Blade Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark9117, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I've decided I want a fixed blade knife. I want to stash it in my "overnight bag." This is a bag I keep in my truck in case I'm trapped in it overnight again, or get shunted to a local motel from work when weather sets in. It happens.

It seems like it might be a good idea to include a knife in that kit, but I don't know much about them. I don't want to spend a fortune on a piece of edged artwork, I just want something with a blade in the 4" to 8" length, preferably a handle that doesn't involve wood. Kind of flexible on the scale material but it's going to spend time in the truck and I want it to survive high temperature and function like a handle under virtually all conditions.

Is there something out there in the $20 - $50 range that you can recommend for such a tool? Is there something else I need to consider?

I appreciate the attention.

Mark

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with a Mora really.... Get a stainless one if it needs to survive poor storage conditions. Quite some colours and models available in your pricerange, all pretty much above decent and indestructible.

Gary Gross, nolaradio and Water-Rat like this.
  3. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I'd go with a Buck 119. You can pick them up at the top end of your budget.
    [​IMG]
    • 6" Large Clip Blade with 420HC Steel for Excellent Strength and Edge Retention. Overall Length 10-1/2"
    • Solid Fixed Blade Knife Great for the Outdoors, Detail Work and Cutting in tight places. Weight, 7.5 oz.
    • Black Phenolic Handle with Aluminum Pommel / Guard
    • Includes Genuine Leather Fitted Sheath for safe and secure transportation on your belt or in a bag
    • Buck Forever Warranty, Made in the USA

Biolabob, nolaradio, garza and 2 others like this.
  4. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

My go to fixed blade for general use is the Ontario USAF knife... Mora is my second choice. Both are well within your budget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd vote for a Mora as your first choice; especially if you get it in one of the colors such as orange, blue, green. Why? Even with a 4" size blade, it might not be perceived by the :censored: as much of a 'dangerous' weapon as either the Buck or the Ontario. Just an opinion. Not sure what either the Buck or the Ontario are priced at these days, but I have a 4" Mora Companion in SS that I wear when I'm doing yard work. IIRC, about $15 at Amazon.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gary Gross, Water-Rat and Shike like this.
  6. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

I'd go with a stainless Mora.
    And they actually pronounce the 'k' by the way. ;^>

#6 tde, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

I'm impressed that the Moya has so much going for it given its price range. Leaning heavily that way, though I've always wanted the Ontario USAF 499. Will continue to lean until I commit.

Thanks much for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8. GodWeTrust

GodWeTrust Empty Pockets

Love the Moras

Moto Z Forced me to do this.

9. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

10. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

I keep a Gerber Strongarm in my bag. I like the size and feels well built with its full tang. Also heard good things about the Mora, but don't own any... Yet.

Sent on a crisp northern breeze.

11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of ESEE for small fixed blades. I just picked up this Eskabar a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it. A little more blade than an Izula and a better blade grind (thinner at the edge, slices better). The whole package including the clip and handle scales was around $60.

[​IMG]

12. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

The Kabar navy is a fine pick too

13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The one downside to the Moras is they can be a little tricky to sharpen if you're not used to sharpening a scandi grind knife. Also, they have a rat tail tang, not a full tang, so some folks consider them to be weaker. What that means is the part of the blade steel that is contained in the handle is very thin, which saves on weight and cost, but reduces strength of the handle a bit. But, for the money, they are a very good tool. I love having mine on my belt when doing yardwork in the backyard. The handle is beefy and easy to grip, even when wearing work gloves.

As mentioned above, they have both stainless and carbon steel versions. You might want to go with stainless if you're not used to carbon steel knives as stainless is easier to take care of. Another quality that changes per model is blade thickness. Some Moras have thinner blades, which are better for food prep and edc stuff. Others have much thicker blades which are better for outdoor stuff.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

For your application, Mora all the way!!

A Scandi grind is actually easier to sharpen than most because the bevel is so big it's obvious. Yes, it does have a rat tail tang, but I defy someone to actually break one under hard or even extreme use. You'll never break one under normal use no matter what. There's videos out there of guys trying to destroy one and they have to go to some pretty stupid lengths to get one to break, so weakness isn't really a factor for what you are looking for.

They are exquisitely sharp out of the box and the steel is durable. If you ever do manage to actually damage the edge (chopping rocks or something), you can just toss it and buy another. I have a number of Moras and have yet to ruin one. I carry one in every vehicle and have numerous backups at the house. Hands down, the best bang for your buck in the knife market! They're not show pieces, but they're not designed to be; they get the hardest jobs done...every time. Heck, I've even batoned hardwood with a couple of mine and they worked like champs and came back for more!

I've got lots of way more expensive knives, some I rarely ever use because of their price. That's the great thing about a Mora...you'll actually use it.

P.S. No, I don't have any affiliation with the company at all. Just a practical user.

15. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

One more vote for Mora. A simple Mora is cheap, reliable and will get the job done. I think I have one in door pocket of all my vehicles, sometimes they come handy

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

So, I've got a Mora Companion on the way. Can't wait to see how it satisfies. I appreciate the guidance.

Hangman and Water-Rat like this.
  17. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

Don't mean to threadjack
    I was 'just' looking at a 102, and trying to think what other models are similar, just want to say thanks for posting that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazu013 likes this.
  18. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

Mora is obviously a really good option (I have two). But if you want some alternatives, check out the Cold Steel fixed blade line up. Some are a bit more money ($70-$100 range) but they are pretty good knives (like the SRK or master hunter plus). Browse the knife forums for sections that offer a "for sale by individual" and I bet you can find some good deals on quality used knives.

19. Mark9117

Mark9117 Loaded Pockets

Hadn't thought about pre-owned. Will consider it. Somebody tipped me to an Italian knife. Know anything about Lionsteel?

20. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

Lionsteel makes some good knives, for a larger fixed blade they are gonna run $150-$200+ though (for new knife with stainless). Might be able to find someone selling one but when you step into that price category you will find quite a few quality options. For ~$75 you can get a full tang Mora Garberg that has a 4.3 inch stainless steel blade, have you looked at that one yet? Or the Mora Allaround which is about $25, that one has 5.8 inch stainless blade.