1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDTC: Every Day Tool Carry

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Mudinyeri, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

We've had threads dedicated to tools, to tool rolls and to a few other things tool carry-related, but I can't seem to find a thread related to tool boxes, tool bags, tool belts and other EDTC carrying "devices". I'm talking bigger tools, here, not just a precision screwdriver and a multi-tool.

I usually keep a rolling tool box in the back of my vehicle, but a recent back injury has me rethinking such a large, heavy box ... and looking for creative ideas. I'd like to organize my tools like I organize the rest of my EDC - in layers: tools that I almost always need, tools used somewhat frequently and tools only used occasionally. That way, I don't have to lift the big, rolling tool box in and out of my vehicle on every job.

So ... how do you carry your (bigger) hand tools like screwdriver sets, wrenches, hammers, drills, saws, drivers, etc?

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Ever tried a bucket? My Dad will carry larger tools (drills, nailguns, small saws, pry bars etc.) in a 5 gallon bucket. Then if he has some small work debris or loose nails/screws to clean up, he has a place to put it as well. You can get various bucket organizers to keep your gear from rattling around the bottom of the bucket, though my Dad never bothered with those. Another part of his tool carry is a small item organizer. It's a plastic case he uses for screws/nails/drill bits/zip ties/small plumbing parts/bits of hardware etc.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Yes, I've tried a bucket. Unfortunately, they have a fairly high center of gravity and tend to tip over in vehicles.

4. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

For my work, it's a rolling toolbox for power tools, and a 26" Stanley toolbox too. They live in vans. If I'm going a long way/awkward place to work, I also have a fabric tool bag that I transfer what I need into it.

Saves lugging the lot around if I don't have too!

Mudinyeri likes this.
  5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I went through my inventory of carrying devices and came up with the MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag. When combined with one of my Arsenal tool rolls, it holds my basic (non-powered) hand tools very nicely. I also have the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag (larger than the Compact) that looks like it will hold my handheld power tools nicely. I'm not sure how long these bags will hold up to the weight of tools, though. The Compact version is already starting to lose the Velcro wrap that goes around the carrying handles ... just from occasional range use.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I sort of drift back and forth with this all the time.

On one hand the bags that are just larger organizers are nice in a lot of ways and I like to have the tools is pockets and organized so I can find them fast and account for the empty pockets when packing up.
    On the other hand those bags with pockets keep the tools more spread out really and are bigger than a bag where the tools are just piled in and both get heavy fast if carrying enough to get the job done.

I carry a belt pouch with my normal hand tools that I carry on a shoulder mostly or on the waist depending on the task and I usually have another bag with more tools and small cordless stuff.
    I also travel some and that is when I get to try to streamline and consolidate things and I normally try to get everything into a few Pelican 1610 or 1620s depending on what I am doing and whether I need to fly with or ship tools ahead of me.

I can't even count the number of bags that I own and mostly don't use anymore for a lot of different reasons,sound familiar? Most are not really up to the job I have found.

Look at the Veto Pro Pack line though for one of the best made lines I have tried but there seems to be no "Holy Grail" from my experience though I keep looking.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  7. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

I carry a tool bag in my car. I'm the guy who always ends up having to fix things, so I decided to have a dedicated tool kit with me. I hate having to bum cheap tools at whoevers house I end up fixing things at. I just added a nice kobalt work light to it. It's a work in progress.

8. George Johnson IV

George Johnson IV Loaded Pockets

Here's my idea.

Make a container for them to fit in but you can pull individual trays out. I have this setup in my bag for work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quantum, Lorenzo, tmedina and 5 others like this.
  9. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I use a couple of the Veto Tool Bags, best way ever to have your tools..
    I have a big one for heavy use and max storage. and a smaller one for medium duty and ease of carry

Mudinyeri likes this.
  10. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I use condor Bob bags.. They got hook and loop inside and I use some velcro mag holders to keep it straight. I'd take pics but it's in the truck and it's pouring outside

Mudinyeri likes this.
  11. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I don't keep it in my vehicle, but I have a fold-up hand truck that I got at a local hardware store. You could use something like this with stackable bins (clear sided or labeled). That way if you need to haul all tools in one shot, you can take small bins out individually and stack them on the folding truck for back-saving transport.

Mine was a cheap one (on sale for ~$20) and only supports 150lbs. I'm sure you could find higher quality ones, but for the price it might work out well and doesn't take up much more space.

You can look up B000HVVSDU at amazon for one similar to what I have. If you use your tools a lot though, these might not be good enough quality.

12. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

13. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

I hit submit before indicating that I use a Maxpedition Sabercat for tools. I find it user friendly to tools and fishing gear. Fits in the car easily.

Tristar777 and Anson like this.
  14. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Wish I could share my latest but I great deal on them so I really cant talk about it

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

15. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

I use/used a couple of setups and one thing that works is a range bag with a drop-in insert, you can keep the lighter/common tools in the removable insert and just grab them when you want or grab the whole bag if you need everything. I also have a large tool bag that opens like a Doctors bag that comes with an insert like the range bags. Home Depot/Lowes sells a bag like it.

16. Anson

Anson Loaded Pockets

This thread has inspired me to do a much needed update for my 14" Husky tool bag.

Quantum likes this.
  17. rnchtrnr

rnchtrnr Empty Pockets

This may be smaller than what you had in mind, but I feel that all the bases are covered with this kit and some of the ideas could be adopted to organize/store larger collections as well.[​IMG][​IMG]

4rmless, glockguy110, Lorenzo and 5 others like this.
  18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

A few other contenders that I've been looking at ...

Custom LeatherCraft 1539, Klein Tradesman Pro (To be continued)

19. Amator

Amator Loaded Pockets

This is great, do have a writeup of the contents? I'd like to see everything in the altoid tins. Is that a Maxpud EDC organizer?

20. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you go to Park tools USA website and search BX-2 and EK-1. It is a hard case and it has a backpack like attachment. If for what ever reason you are unable to find it , PM me and I will send you the link.