1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDGE PRO owners..

Discussion in 'Knives' started by arevalo, Mar 29, 2012.

1. arevalo

arevalo Empty Pockets

I've finally decided to take a plunge and get an Edge Pro.

$250 is my max, making the chosera kit out of my budget. I'm trying to decide between kit #3 or kit#4. How often do you guys use the polishing tape? Or do I go with Kit #1 and add your recommended favorite/essential stones?

Thanks in advance.

2. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Well I'm not an Edge Pro owner nor do I have any experience with the product. I just bought a small 1x30 belt sander from Harbor Freight.
    It cost all of $40.00. I spent another $20.00 or so on belts, even got a leather strop belt. A little practice and it does great.

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use a worksharp to the get it close and then work in by hand. for what is is worth?

[​IMG]
    mumbo sharp2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

4. FunctionMode

FunctionMode Loaded Pockets

If you're set on an edge pro get #3, that's what I have and it works pretty well. I got an edge pro because I thought freehand sharpening would be hard, but as it turns out it's very easy and for me is faster and more enjoyable.

I'd recommend a good leather strop (I like stropman.com) and some wet/dry sandpaper in grits ranging from 220-1000 or a a selection of stones. More often than not a strop is all you need to get your edge back and when you do need to sharpen you have the sandpaper or stones

5. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Tell me more of this Worksharp tool? I'm interested for polishing and I read it can use belts with 3600 and 12000grit? Is is variable speed? Can you use it wet? How long do the belts last?

6. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Double post.

7. jcc

jcc Banned

Since the Edge Pro, Wicked Edge, Worksharp, Lansky, or Sharpmaker only address the primary edge, how do they address issues like this?

[​IMG]

8. vic2367

vic2367 Loaded Pockets

harbor freight belt sander ,,like 40 bucks ,,great little sander, and get some 1x30 sanding belts, like 120 grit or 220 grit ,,

9. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

May even have to go more corse, depending on steel type and hardness.

10. jcc

jcc Banned

Here was the fix:

[​IMG]

I used a KING #1000 grit stone.

I think it's difficult to use one of these machines and not ruin the temper along your cutting edge. Heat can generate at an edge so quickly, but dissipate through the rest of the knife, before you realize you've ruined your edge. Also, automated machines allow you to fix chips like this quick, yes, but they also allow you to make mistakes just as quick. Because of the thinness of this blade I would be apprehensive to recommend taking a belt sander to a knife --

11. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I disagree, yes it is possible, but with pratice and the right grit belt you get a great edge. Their are plenty of
    videos on Youtube demonstrating this. Many post by custom knife makers.

12. jcc

jcc Banned

I don't think that I said that it wasn't possible.

edit: Sorry, reading comprehension for the win. I was afraid I came off like an a**hole. You were saying that it is possible to ruin the temper, but with practice and the right belt you can get a great edge. I agree. This is an accurate statement and true about any skill; that with practice and proper tools you can get a great result.

If you re-read what I said I stated that it would be difficult to use one of these machines and not ruin the temper. For this reason I would be apprehensive about recommending just anyone taking a belt sander to a knife. Because just as you stated, there are plenty of professional custom knife makers using this technique, but that doesn't mean that just anyone can.

13. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I guess it depends on the person. I've been using one and I've seen no problem with ability to hold an edge.

14. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard