1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDCing Laptop

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by tonkatoy9398, Dec 6, 2009.

1. tonkatoy9398

tonkatoy9398 Loaded Pockets

How many people carry a laptop. What would you carry, standard or netbook.
    I personaly carry a 14" HP.
    Would you sacrafice preformance and options for the weight reduction found with netbooks.

Also, How big is too big?

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I EDC either my 17" laptop or my netbook almost everyday. My netbook does everything I need it to except for gaming, on days I know I will not be gaming I carry it.

I have carried my 17" and a Thinkpad R51 at the same time but that got heavy quickly.

3. dodge_911

dodge_911 Loaded Pockets

I carry my trusty MBP around with me just about anywhere, in a Maratac Range Bag...
    It's a 15" early 2008, wouldn't go much bigger than that though, I find 17" just too bulky for mobile use.
    As for sacrificing performance for smaller size : I wouldn't.
    Not in this particular case, I use my laptop to process images while i'm shooting, and really do need the processing power.
    +10 meg raw images take forever on a netbook.
    For normal use on the road, like checking e-mail or IM'ing, twittering or facebooking, I'd go for a netbook, though.

Think it just boils down to what you wanna do on your laptop ;)

4. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I will admit to not carrying my laptop about too regularly, but when I bought it portability and usability were two things I looked into.

In the end I went for a 13.3" Macbook - as my only computer I needed something powerful enough for general computer use (photo editing, music, some games and so on) which a netbook won't really fit the bill - the smaller screens are harder to use, and they just don't have enough power to throw around photo files or run much beyond basic web and word processing. At the same time a 17" laptop seems overly large to me and just too big for easy carry, but does have the power. In the end The macbook seemed a good balance of usability and power over the netbook, but more practical on the move than something larger.

Obviously a 13.3" screen is not huge, so when I am at home I run dual screen with the internal screen and a 19" external one to get the best of both worlds.

5. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

I have a 17" Macbook Pro which i use for everything, and gets carried between work and home every day - with the occasional trip to the city.

It's a big laptop and heavy, but i'm a big guy and don't really mind the weight - but after years doing so it does take it's toll on your skeletal system!

Unless you plan on carrying an expensive bag with lots of padding or a good strong outer cover i don't really recommend a big laptop - too fragile in the most part. There's a running joke among my friends that there are no original parts in my laptop, i've replaced almost everything! That's not reflective of the apple build quality - just what happens to laptops when they're used all day every day with big commutes on public transport.

It's worth noting that i have a 10" netbook which i've never really used, despite being much lighter.

6. CyberCacique1

CyberCacique1 Empty Pockets

Another vote for the 13.3" MacBook over here....

Netbooks are fine for really GENERAL usage, but you should determine your capabilities and what you can do without before making the jump....I've been keeping an eye on that segment for the last 2yrs and the advances have been amazing, but I'm still not convinced for MY usage if it would make sense to get one just to get one.....I hate doing that for ANY product I buy. I want to make sure I will use it to its full capabilities before dropping the cash on it. This is the main reason I have not purchased a MBP since for ME, the MacBook does what I need and is more durable by a small margin and that's important to me.

I've been doing more vid/pic editing lately and am starting to think that a MBP could make my life easier, but I won't jump into it until I am COMPLETELY tired of waiting for my MB to process content. ;)

So, to kind of answer your post, I think you should have a CLEAR understanding of what you want to do, consider the weight issue and do your homework on some review sites (and here) and then make the purchase....Don't get into that mental argument of waiting...you can NEVER future proof technology for more than a few mos....Unless your cash is unlimited, just make the best purchase for you and move on. ;D

7. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I carry an HP dv2-1030us which is a 12" model. Before this I was carrying an ASUS EEE 1000h, 10", and it was just to small for my aged eyes.

Much easier to find a bag for the EEE, though.

robert

8. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I started out with a 15 inch toshiba, carried in a shoulder bag along with all my collage books ect. it was carriable, although I wouldn't exactly call it perfect, it did pretty well.
    when the 15 inch failed, I ended up having to get it replaced under waranty, and as the model had been discontinued, and it's sucsessor model was running windows 7 rather than vista, I was given a 17 incher that was on end of line closeout, as spec wise it was closer to what I had had previously.
    that's not so fun to tote around, and you can't seem to get laptop backpacks that fit laptops that big. infact, it's difficult to get dedicated cases either.

might have to go for a decent sized backpack and a seperate padded cover for the laptop.

9. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

In answer to your question 17" is too big. I wen to a 17" after a 15.4" for a larger screen and considering it is at my desk 90% of the time. I love it but man this thing is not portable. More desktop replacement than laptop. I do use a netbook when I travel. Most of what I do on the go is e-mail and internet based so there is not much of a performance loss with my mini. If I was a gamer or needed to do CAD I would have to rethink things, but as it is I can do what I need quickly and with minimal weight and size.

10. mattrix

mattrix Empty Pockets

I use Lenovo S10 Netbook with Win 7 on it and I use my Jail broken iphone 3gs to tether it for high speed. Works perfect as my lightweight cpu. I keep it in a maxperdition aggressor attache with tons of room to spare for my Glock and lot s of other goodies

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I have the small form netbook, 9" screen. Love it. It's a wimp as far as real computing but perfect for my mobile needs. Compact, light, great battery life. I've owned other notebooks over time, but I much prefer toting this netbook around.

Handles web, entertainment and word processing well.

12. hboutin

hboutin Loaded Pockets

I have an MBP 15" that I carry everyday ( I commute to work by bike). I recently bought a FALCON II :woohoo:from Maxpedition. Great bag and reaaly useful. I was using a dedicated laptop bag beforehand (Targus).
    Great Laptop, recently switched from Windows to MAC, would not go back.

13. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I EDC my Dell Latitude pretty much every day. I have a new one coming in a week or so along with my first Netbook. I'm interested to see if the Netbook is sufficient for my needs throughout the week when I want to do some light work from home.

14. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

Dell latitude E5500 here eventually I'll get a netbook and replace this big old relic

15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

i every-other-day-carry a lenovo s10, 10" notebook
    it's great since i use things like google docs to store my files

16. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I have a dell vostro with a 15.4" screen. I just put it in my backpack and I'm ready to go. It's rugged enough that I don't have to worry about protective cases or anything like that. I usually try to put a folder or 3-ring binder between it and the back pad for comfort.

-Vivek

17. Hahn

Hahn Empty Pockets

I EDC my wife's Acer netbook about 99% of the time. I use it mainly for writing, but occasionally get online.

Due to my constantly being hard on my toys and love for mil-spec goodies I am looking at getting an older model toughbook to replace the netbook. That way I don't have to baby by EDC bag when the wife's pc is inside.

18. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I generally drag my 13" Macbook to and from work, especially when i am on night shift.
    for this i use a Crumpler Bag.

while i am at work i have to drag around an IBM T43 (dunno what size) laptop along with a power supply, card reader, broadband card, phone and network cables, sun hood, etc.
    i use a Lowepro compudaypack which also has room for a bottle of water, satnav unit, spare batterys for the cameras and flashes, and macro lens, teleconverters etc.
    normally this gets left in the boot of the car, but is comfortable to carry around the city when i am haveing a day where i got from job to job.
    I am currently looking at a slightly bigger bag, something that will have a little more room, and not be packed to the gills. but also has a better harness.
    my lowepro computrekker+ has plenty of room, but is way too big.

19. wretched_youth

wretched_youth Loaded Pockets

On a daily basis I drag along my Dell Latitude D630 in a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50 shoulder bag. The Dell is tough and was a good used buy (dual booting Ubuntu 9.10 and Win7)

20. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

Depending on what I have in mind I either carry my 13.3 Macbook (pre pro, but unibody) or my Vostro 1330. If I am looking for lightweight I switch to one of 4 netbooks. The first is a Dell Mini 9 which is a Hackintosh so a slow/light replacment for my Mac, The second is an MSI that I run windows XP on and will soon upgrade to 7 again smaller/lighter. The third is an Acer that I play with Linux on, currently trying Ubuntu on it. And the 4th is the first Netbook that came out, the original Asus EEE PC which I dont use, it was pre Atom so it has a 900 mhz celeron and the sceen is 7 inches which makes it less than enjoyable to use.

My EDC bag is typically a 511 Rush 24 and I have sleeves for the various laptops and netbooks, as well as gear bags for the power supplies, mice and other bits and pieces I pack.

If I am trying to travel light its usually with a netbook and with a Maxpedition Jumbo.

If I want more than one with me I either make the rush really heavy and jam it full or I fill up my Maxpedition Operator bag.

Did I ever mention that the 511 and Maxpedition pistol cases make excellent Netbook cases?