1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDCing binoculars/monocular?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Aruetii, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Aruetii

Aruetii Loaded Pockets

I recently got a Sightron 7x28 monocular with milliradian markings for measurement that I throw in my pack. Does anyone here keep like a small set of binoculars or a monocular in their daily kits for sightseeing and whatnot?

2. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

I keep a Minox MD 6x16 monocular in my daily edc bag. I have been looking at the Pentax 4x20 WP as a possible upgrade.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I keep an inexpensive Simmons 8x21 monocular at home and use it to look out the window at animals and objects in my back field. I used to carry it with me as an EDC tool, but didn't use it often enough to justify the pocket space.

[​IMG]

FiaOlleDog and Fishin Fool like this.
  4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I have a Vortex 10x25 monocular that usually rides in the center console of my truck, but occasionally goes in the EDC pack. I paid about $60 and it’s pretty compact, with decent glass (considering the price).
    Being so small with a 10x magnification, it usually requires both hands to hold it steady enough to get a good picture. I think Vortex makes an 8x version, which would be the one I would get if I had to do it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twoisone, twin63 and echo victor like this.
  5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have a lightweight, inexpensive monocular that I keep in my EDC bag and a Vortex (Solo, I think) that stays in a bag in my vehicle.

I don’t know that I would have enough need to justify the cost of a good quality, lightweight monocular or binoculars, but my aging eyes have made me consider it.

6. Aruetii

Aruetii Loaded Pockets

Normal shaky hands with lightweight,portable optics is definitely a problem. First time always makes you feel like you have no control over your muscles. Had for 30 bucks or so a Kenko 15-50x21 mono and while the image quality was quite decent(no aberrations), it was dim if the skies aren't clear and your view just magnifies how much your hands are shaking. It even provided a tripod mounting thread because a tiny monocular on a tripod isn't the most ridiculous thing ever. Still fun to lend people and see them start doubting the muscular functions of their arm(I'm talking adolescent students by the way).

Letting the scope "free-float" relative to the eye seem to have some positive effect though.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

There was a time in my life... for about 6 years before the recession hit back around 2007~8 etc., when I was involved with home remodeling sales etc. Had a pair of binoculars for reading addresses on houses that were at the end of a long drive.. said homes too often did not have clear markings near the street believe it or not. That ended of course. No longer keep the binoculars in the car -- don't need them.

I have had contractors come out to look at my house and often they have binoculars so they can take a look at a roof or gutters from ground level.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Monoculars for me: Zeiss 5x10 Miniquick - pricey for what feels like a Crackerjacks prize, but it’s optically excellent and the only one that makes the cut for my 12L EDC bag. Also have a Pentax 8x30 (great quality) and Vortex 10x25 (meh), but for that toilet paper roll size, a stove/bar/heater combo is more useful.

FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.
  9. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

They do make an 8x36.

I used to carry the Vortex 8x36 Solo monocular in my pack every day. Worked on the 4th floor of a building downtown and very often the police would be on one of the side streets or alleys dealing with some manner of civil disturbance or another. The monocular was useful for getting a better look at what was going on to determine if we could leave for lunch or if we needed to stay in the building.

We've since moved to a different location and I no longer need the monocular, so it sits in the gear closet at home.

EDIT: monocular is 8x36, not 8x32.

Last edited by Sentinel-14, Oct 14, 2020
    #9 Sentinel-14, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Fishin Fool and LivingUpNorth like this.
  10. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I have both both and you hit it right on the head. Easier to see the 8x with reticle.

11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

The 8x version is easier to see out of due to the way lenses and magnification work. It's called 'exit pupil.'

Basically, a bigger exit pupil lets more light through the device and into your eye, making the image appear brighter. Exit pupil is calculated as the objective lens size divided by the magnification power. So, the 10x25 monocular is 25mm objective lens / 10x magnifcation, giving you an exit pupil of 2.5. The 8x36 however is a 36mm objective / 8x magnification, for an exit pupil of 4.5. So you're getting a lot more light coming through the 8x36, which is why the image appears brighter.

Something to keep in mind when you're researching and comparing optics in the future. :)

Last edited by Sentinel-14, Oct 14, 2020
    #11 Sentinel-14, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  12. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I carried a Bresser 10x25 monocular for many years in my EDC bag - rarely made use of it like when hiking.
    Thanks for this thread, it makes me consider re-adding it.

13. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I carry a vintage Bushnell 7x18 wide angle pair. I also keep a Bushnell NVD in my bag. I keep a Flir Scout in the truck

14. Likota

Likota Loaded Pockets

How about the Steiner Miniscope 8x22. It is very compact (2" x 2") and weighs only 2.8 oz.

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a nice one in my car emergency kit and a less expensive one in my hiking/outdoor range backpack.