1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lawmanhdg, Dec 29, 2018.

1. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

So I'm the kinda guy that only carries a handful of items with me. I'm a police officer so typically I wear a firearm and a badge as well. I don't think I carry enough to warrant use of any EDC bags. But I also get tired of carrying items in my pockets or on my person all the time.

Typically, on any given day I usually carry the following items:

- Slim non-folding wallet (kept in side pocket or in pocket of jacket/hoodie due to bad back)
    - Cell phone (Pixel 3 in Poetic hard case)
    - Knife (Swiss Army/Victorinox Officer Suisse)
    - wooden mini fidget spinner
    - hand sanitizer (Pocketbac "Noir" from Bath and Body Works)
    - Glock 36 or Ruger LCP (tucked IWB or clipped to pants)
    - Badge (clipped to pants)
    - car keys (usually attached to my pants belt loop)

#1 lawmanhdg, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Andrew_H likes this.
  2. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Thank you for keeping us safe!
    Do you carry a wallet or flashlight?

3. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

I carry a non-folding wallet (mainly for cards, Police ID, DL, and some cash). I edited my OP to show this. I do not carry a flashlight usually, it was hard to find a small enough one to carry on me that was charged via USB.

4. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

First, this is a slippery slope, beware. Once you start with a bag that carries only your must haves you either start expanding your must haves or you start looking at bags for days when you need a little extra. Then you have a closet full of bags. As I've learned, there is a fine line between having a little extra space and having a bag too small/too big for your needs.

IMO...

There is also a fine line between where a sling pack makes complete sense and when the load really should just have a standard two strap backpack (and that line (weight limit) is lower than you'd think).

The first thing that came to mind is a smaller sling or messenger style bag. That said, if you end up wanting extra space be careful of what you go with. In my experiences anything ~20-22L and under isn't built for even laptop weight. Once you trip this line go 25L+.

If you stay with a small bag, and end up in a sling/messenger, just make sure it doesn't look like a murse. Don't be that guy.

However, to more directly answer your initial inquiry, given your career and listed items, my first inclination is:

Osprey (Daylite or Daylite Plus) a great great little budget friendly bag. Retail is $60 but you can find them new for as low as $35 if you watch eBay etc. I love mine for days when I'm carrying similar to you (less the sidearm plus a notebook or light weight jacket). While they have some loud colors, black or grey would fit in just fine.

5.11 (e.g. Moab 10) a crowd favorite on the forum with many actually modifying to make it a two strap option (see post a few below yours).

Alpha One (e.g. chio) / Sneaky Bags (e.g. Nautilus or Shoulder Utility Bag). Solid company, solid/well-thought-out bags. Extremely impressed by what I own from them. They have many options in the backpack scale as well (eg Evade or Recon 3).

GoRuck (e.g. 10L Bullet (v1 or v2) along with any of their organizers). I'm typically not a big fan of GoRuck just because of the pricing but they have a sale going on and it fits the job.

Vertx (Essentials), don't know the pack personally but it would fit the need. They also have a focus on CCW which may be of interest. Again, if you opt to scale up the EDC Ready pack is an option.

(Personal note, I was heavily considering the EDC Ready until I came across A19 and fell in love with Helm, his team, and the great gear they produce.)

Maxpedition is another to check out, as is Recycled Firefighter (though RF may be too cavernous for what you're looking for and while they have a MOLLE panel insert it adds price to an already costly piece).

There are other options like pouches that would attach to your belt but you have enough :censored: on your belt already so that may not work.

EDIT: Regarding the flashlight, check out the Streamlight Microstream. It's small with decent output (depending on your needs) and is charged via USB.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Dec 29, 2018
    #4 swedishelite22, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Myrddraal, FiaOlleDog and Andrew_H like this.
  5. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

First of all, thanks for your detailed response... I just looked into the Microstream, pretty neat light!

Also, what is your opinion on the Moab 6, I know you said the Moab 10 was a good size.

I'm torn between a tacticool looking bag or a "grey" civvie bag....

And I actually own a couple Recycled Firefighter little duffle bags for storage in my patrol car as well as the Chief backpack for overnight trainings.

6. swedishelite22

Anytime, just hope it helps in some way.

The Microstream is a solid little light. I have the original version and love it to the point when I lost one I replaced it within a couple days. (I later found the lost one but oh well.)

I personally do not have experience with 5.11 but know they have a solid following in the forum. Below is a link to a very detailed review of the Moab 6 and 10 that can provide far more information than I ever could.

If you don't need tactical then skip it. IMHO personally I think the MOLLE riddled packs have killed the horse and are beating it. I know some love the look but for me it's a miss unless you are actually using the MOLLE as it should be used. If your are one that could use the modular nature to compartmentalize or add small pods for those days you need to carry a little more then it may be the right solution. It could also be something that allows you to carry the same bag for work but swap out a pod or two and carry the same bag when off-duty.

There are plenty of "greyman" style packs or tough looking packs that don't cross the tacticool like (again, a matter of opinion).

GoRuck is a bomb proof, masculine bag that carries some tactile look but is subtle (though you would never know it from the videos they post or a content).

A19 kinda takes it a step further in the civvie style.

Osprey brings the outdoors to the office in a subtle way while maintaining the same lifetime warranty.

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/review-5-11-tactical-rush-moab-6-and-10-sling-bags-molle-pals-compatible-and-tier-system.108159/

The answer you'll likely get when attic between two packs is.... Get both.

FWIW currently I've got:

Osprey Daylite Plus (in red) for light days out with the family. I went red so the kids can see me in the crowd if ever separated (often I wear a red BU hat as well).

Alpha One Niner Evade 2 for EDC to and from work (doubling as a mobile office), 1-3 day trips, and full day outings with the family where I'm going to be the pack mule for the group.

Piper Gear/Sandpiper of California Bugout (old version without all the MOLLE) for 5+ day trips. I've used it for EDC when the family is traveling (e.g. Disney) but it's really too big for that which is why the Osprey and Evade were introduced.

Andrew_H likes this.
  7. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

I might have to alter my decision, if I decide to carry some type of EDC bag, due to the fact I will soon be on part-time diaper bag duty!

8. swedishelite22

Congrats!!!

That is an entirely different bag hahaha.

However, many of the same ultimate needs are present and there are a ton of diaper bag threads on here, many including some of the bags listed above.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Dec 30, 2018
    #8 swedishelite22, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  9. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

if I may suggest, I kinda like the 2-banger bag from 5.11.
    It doesnt have the appearance of being tactical but simple enough to carry simple items from notebook (paper notebook, yes I still use those hehehe), mini ipad, simple IFAK, field notes. It probably suits you as well as you carry CCW. Occassionally, I use it to bring some diapers, its changing mat, 1-2cloths, socks, towel, etc for my little boy

I do have the MOAB 6 and I find it too bulky. Although it fits the 64oz klean kanteen as it really has a lot of room but it's really bulging when i carry it (at least to my preference). It feels kinda weird too when carrying it (maybe because it's too big for my liking).

10. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

Oh, i forgot to add, when my boy was newly born up to about 1.5year, I used to carry the bail out bag from 5.11. It fits 3milk bottles, hot water flusk, heat retainer food jar (thermos), 10diapers, changing cloths, and changing mat. BUT it looks like Im going to the range with that bag so it becomes a dust collector for now. :)

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I began carrying a Streamlight MicroStream as a police officer as well for my daily EDC. I purchased a Streamlight Stylus Pro and carried it in my shirt pocket (under the pocket flap), and when I discovered the MicroStream it was a definitive option for EDC. Seven years later, I still use the same light. It's sufficiently bright for a light, is lightweight, and is cheap enough to lose and not flip out.

If this is gear for plainclothes work you're probably not carrying enough, and unless you have to have the badge on you (you don't in my state) I'd personally quit carrying that or get a wallet flat badge.

It doesn't strike me as necessary for you to have an EDC bag, and if you get one your gear will grow in volume.

I have a fairly minimal EDC by this forum's standards but find I rarely need more than what I'll type below because I also hate having and feeling a lot of junk in my pockets. I also park my truck right outside my office window and try not to stray far when shopping, etc. (I was a cop for 8 years but haven't been since early 2014.)

My EDC bag concept grew out of the idea of carrying some EDC gear and diapers, etc. However, in a very short period of time I just used the diaper bag my wife packed which was usually stowed in the bottom of our Uppababy Mesa stroller. That was three iterations of EDC bag ago!

Android smartphone F/L pocket

Bi-fold wallet: DL, CHL, cash, Fresnel lens, backup cash, debit card, credit card, Sam's Club card, a BandAid or two, titanium Bogota mini rakes (small & effective lockpicks), State Farm card, and BlueCross BlueShield card in R/R pocket.

Victorinox Super Tinker hanging from a Tec Accessories P7 suspension clip (which you may want to investigate to eliminate pocket clutter). F/R pocket

White, folded, cotton handkerchief in a back pocket. R/L pocket

Zebra F-701 stainless steel, ballpoint pen in shirt pocket.

Streamlight MicroStream F/R pocket
    Key fob and one key in F/R pocket

Glock 43 in a Raven Concealment Vanguard minimalist IWB. Appendix IWB

And less and less a Kershaw Leek which I have EDC'd since 2004.

I do keep a go bag/bolt bag/crisis bag/reservoir of stuff bag (GORUCK GR1) in my vehicle along with some vehicle-based preps.

FiaOlleDog and swedishelite22 like this.
  12. Ayube

Ayube Empty Pockets

I was in a similar situation as you and i have found my solution!

Maxpedition Octa Versipack!
    +
    Janus Pouch

I chose the Octa Versipack because it was small enough yet holds everything i need and also it is modular as well.
    The Janus pouch i was originally going to connect to extend the pack belt but i have found another way to use it instead. I actually use it as an internal pouch for loose items but fits inside the main compartment of the sling or...I actually tac-tie it to the top of the main zipper opening (Tac ties not included). I will try and take a picture for you.

I wanted something small enough to be able to carry it with me all the time with my essentials and i ended up with this solution.

If you get a chance check it out.

13. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Update:
    Wife actually went into labor on Saturday night (12/29) and by Sunday evening she was so miserable with contractions we went into the birthing center. When the doctor examined her, she was already 4cm dilated and fully effaced. She was given an epidural and started the long wait.

Our baby girl, Aurelia, was born on 12/31 at 0221 weighing in at 7lb 4 oz.

14. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

Congratulations!!!

lawmanhdg and Andrew_H like this.
  15. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

Congratulations on a "Golden" little girl. Hopefully mom and daughter are doing well.

lawmanhdg, echo victor and Andrew_H like this.
  16. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

lawmanhdg,

Congratulations! I hope your new daughter and your wife are doing great!

Andrew_H and lawmanhdg like this.
  17. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Mommy and baby are doing great!!

Thanks for all the assistance and well-wishes!!

MH-05, Tallboyjim, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  18. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

It will be an enjoyable sleepless nights for the next few months. Tiring but full of joy!!
    Congrats again lawmanhdg!!

lawmanhdg likes this.
  19. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the baby!

Although I don’t have a bag recommendation other than maybe stopping in a REI and getting hands on some. Off the shelf NorthFace bags are pretty nice. The REI brand “Rucksack” seems very well layed out.

I really wanted to comment on your lack of EDC flashlight. Once you find one you love you’ll feel naked without it. I am a Olight fanboy. They have some great “flash sales” (get it???). I edc between a S Mini and a H1R. I lean a little more toward the H1R. Probably because of the mag tail cap and it can be used as a headlamp with the included band.

If someone told you there is a 100% chance its going to rain, you would be apt to take a umbrella. Everyday there is a 100% chance it will get dark...

Last edited by MicroMike, Feb 10, 2019
    #19 MicroMike, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    lawmanhdg, MH-05 and That Movie Guy like this.