1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. Heywood Floyd

Heywood Floyd Loaded Pockets

Bingo, Congratulations to the newly weds! More than likely a very rare pair indeed. Thanks for sharing.

microbe likes this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Anyone else into Tactile Turn pens?
    Notice lately that he's not really making any new designed pens? He's merely focused doing cosmetic changes to them?

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I have one of his earlier Ti short bolt actions & it is still my everyday favorite. I think he's reached the point where he has refined his designs down to what functions well & sells. I haven't bought another one because when he changed the original bolt action design, it will no longer take a Schmidt capless refill, so that's a non-starter for me for a pen that's a bit spendy. His feature set is really good, other than that and if you can live without that particular refill, they are great pens.

Bad Company likes this.
  4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I have a TT Slim and the original Slider Bolt. The original Slider tapered and was comfortable but for his new designed I needed
    the Slim to be comfortable.

But I originally got into the pens for the durable metal finish.. so with his new anodized etc coatings Im really not into a pen where the finish may chip, wear or scratch.

Bad Company likes this.
  5. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

I think Will Hodges' seasonal releases are sorta like Mike Bond's PotMC (Pen of the Month Club), where the creators (probably?) are makin' money on subscriptions. On the business side, it makes sense to dial in a few designs and then make special/limited editions of 'em to maybe get repeat buyers who wanna catch 'em all... If the price point is at a sweet spot, then folks'll buy 'em and it'll provide a steady income.

So maybe, in the bg, Will's also refining some new items (and putting some money back into the biz) to eventually sell? And until those debut, then these releases are the bread'nbutter moneymakers. Maybe not a lotta changes need to be done for each edition/design?

Just speculatin'... Think I just rambled and repeated stuff, yet gotta go.

:cool:

Bad Company likes this.
  6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, combinin' 2 items which I received (relatively) recently (here & there), and kinda in the style of that one:
    [​IMG]
    Sorta similar colorways, at least, huh? :D

twin63, RMinNJ and Stormdrane like this.
  7. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

How is the diameter of these to write with..I don't like a fat pens. Stumped why most all machined pens are .43 inches in diameter....as if fatter = better.

8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, I wasn't sure myself, so I asked to get the best answer, since I didn't have a good way to measure it. One thing I do appreciate with the Twist Design was that, for the (standard?) thumb/forefinger/middle finger grip, the three milled grooves are (obviously) evenly-spaced and they end up being a narrower diameter to hold onto.

So here's what I found out, fwiw:
    Sooo, maybe not as narrow as ya might like, yet hope the info helps some. I'll reply again if the measured value ends up being less, since that might be better?

ETA that Rich responded that his guesses were correct (which makes sense, since you'd expect he'd probably have a good idea of the dims for a writing instrument he created), and so the smallest diameter is 0.4". So, apologies for not rememberin', yet @RMinNJ - what's the Goldilocks measurement that you like to use?

Last edited by oke, Mar 22, 2022
    #3548 oke, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  9. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Don't know why you're stumped. The reality is that a product must be liked by enough people to make it profitable. It's not about what one individual likes. I'm not slamming anyone's likes or dislikes, just saying that sometimes you're in the majority and sometimes you're not. Vive la difference.

RMinNJ, RogerStenning and MatBlack like this.
  10. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Not that it matters, yet here's an example of how well his special editions do for him, sales-wise... 81+51+18 Bolt-Action writing instruments (in the standard, short, and mini sizes) + 53+31+12 Side-Clicks = 246 $199 pens all snapped up pretty quickly! That's not a bad day o' sales in maybe an hour, huh? Guess it depends on what his margins are, though.

Separately, Rich Stadler of Billet Spin's working on a new cam-actuated mechanism for a writing instrument, which should be available in a couple of weeks, in case that happens to be up your alley - just fyi...

Oh, and @RMinNJ - I just updated the previous post (since I didn't think I had anything else to share) to say that his guesses were right on - in the milled grooves, the Twist Design diameter's ~ 0.4"... Also, reiteratin' what I added above - what's your sweet spot for a diameter of a writing instrument that you'd like to see more of?

Bad Company likes this.
  11. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

When Will first came out many years ago, he was always trying to come out with a newer, better mechanical design. I loved that part of his journey. He used to answer his own emails and comment on his forum. Unfortunately, now, he rarely ever responds to his social media forum. He's hired some generic writing marketers who type out bland commentary. He also no longer experiments with new mechanical design. It's akin to car design. He's now in that, "Let's just put flashy tires and a new paint job" stage of his product development. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he outright sells TT to some other edc company.

12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, I guess if brands/companies grow/develop, then changes (inevitably?) happen? Like so. Though maybe branching out is to make room for more knife-making as well? And, sorta similarly, Kelvin Verrett's role has changed in USG recently.

Wonder if folks way back when started noticing and commenting about changes from Paul Fisher's co. (although their operation maybe hasn't changed much during its evolution/progress?)?:confused:

Last edited by oke, Mar 23, 2022
    #3552 oke, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Bad Company likes this.
  13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Sadly, a truthful commentary: I hear AC/DC in the background--"It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock & roll"...;)

14. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Im thinking .375 to .40 max diameter is ok. My KK Retrakt I try each week...its .437? and Its just two wide aftrer writing
    with it some time.. I equate it to writing with a large socket.. Seriously though I was writing with my Michaels Fatboy for the longest time...like .5 in diameter and developed tennis elbow from it. I found with my Retrakt I just can't write quickly with it and seem to need a thinner pen. Retro 51s Tornadoes are ok as they have some taper. Will's original Slider was really comfortable but the new regular Bolts again felt like writing with a socket with no taper. So the Slider, Madmaxco and Right Choice Paintig Co have been the perfect diameter for me in terms of machined pens.

15. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Here are the two that find their way into my pockets most often lately; Fisher Space Pen and the Civivi C-Quill[​IMG]

Heywood Floyd likes this.
  16. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, don't have first-hand experience with it, yet does that mean that the Tactile Turn Slim Bolt-action pen, w/ a diameter of 0.365", may also be too narrow for your use? I think a thinner Side-Click might be neat to see, though not sure of what it'd take to create one.

Also, the BilletSpin CamPen has its diameter set at 0.41", so probably a no-go for ya, bummer!

Last edited by oke, Apr 1, 2022
    #3556 oke, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  17. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Nope... have a TT Slim.. actually feels thicker than it is ...really comfortable. Again I don't know why many of the machined pens are all .41 to .437 ... I guess thats what people like ...if it has taper to it works for me but if its just a short drop to the tip.. aka KK Bolt than to me if feels like Im writing with a spark plug socket.. I think its great there are so many different makers to choose from.

18. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Oh, that's great that the TT Slim Bolt-action diameter feels like a comfortable size! :D

Well, next up are a few items from Billet SPIN, w/ the first edition of the CamPen:
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.