1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

The one marked as Stainless steel grip pen refills are impossible to find. Sharpie Grip Pens with a plastic body looks to have the same grip and they seem to still be for sale. Might be possible to buy those and cannibalise them? They even have the same steel cap

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

ran23 likes this.
  2. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

Heywood I have a Pelikan question for you if you would hit me up. Thank you.

Heywood Floyd likes this.
  3. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Some cheap crappy pens I can find around the house, what is a good cheap long lasting pen with replaceable cartridges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Bolt action pen, titanium with timascus bolt. Notebook with glow in the dark glue pasted on backside, really great for camping. Stick it in the tent pocket for dim lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick4305, usk15, twin63 and 1 other person like this.
  5. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, was lookin' back at discussions about the Machine Era offerings, and read these:
    Well, maybe up y'all's alleys to use his next iteration, the Bolt-Action V2 Field Pen (his latest creation, and will come with a black DLC coating soon; seen here with the original iteration of the Field Pen):
    [​IMG]
    This design has a longer barrel to accommodate the Parker-compatible International G2 ink cartridges. And, it's got a "cleaner" design w/o the grooves - whatcha think?

:cool:

Nick4305, Tesla, Bad Company and 2 others like this.
  7. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Another "fam" of writing instruments, this time from Cogent Industries/Magnus X (Magnus Macdonald):
    [​IMG]
    One note: There's some tolerance or design issue where the front surface (away from the surface of the pen barrel) of the top end of the ClickShift clip is closer to the pen body than the bottom end where the clamping feature contacts the pen, so the clip curves slightly outward. Oh well, just something noticed, looks-wise, which doesn't affect the pen, functionality-wise, since there's definitely compression between the clip and barrel to provide grip onto pocket materials.

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, it does look better. I already have an original Tactile Turn Ti bolt action, and it also takes Schmidt capless rollerball refills, so I'm standing pat with that.

9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Yeah, totally awesome that ya figured out 'bout whatcha wanna use. :D

Anyway, keepin' w/ the theme of the previous post (and the ones before that, of "families" of writing instruments) - took a bit - yet here's Kelvin Verrett's iterations/incarnations/variants of his TiScribe-Bolt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 and Stormdrane like this.
  10. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Sooo, folks might not've noticed, since it's been slow goin' and not all in one post, yet the past few I've added in this thread have been my attempt to sorta compile at least a samplin' of what I've gotten to use. So maybe not the entire collection, per se, yet sharin' hopefully a representative few of what I've noticed out there... :D

For instance, in the past almost 2 decades (or >18 yrs), there've been a few creators who have designed their own takes on a writing instrument, which I've appreciated.

The first was Mike Scherer's Inkling Pen Company's BOMAPen model D6, w/ multiple endcaps of different materials (Ti, Alloy X-750, and W). A person could switch out the endcaps to give the pen a different balance, from tip-heavy, to center-balanced, to heavier toward the back or top end of the writing instrument. Got #3 after talkin' with Mike a whole bunch, and he gave me a pick of numbers. When I told Theodore Gray about what Mike created, in case he was interested in adding to his PeriodicTable.com, he ended up gettin' the #2 multi-endcap set. Then I let Theodore know about the (more for promotional purposes) tungsten BOMACoin which Mike made, & he sprung for one for himself and Oliver Sacks (who Mike refers to on his website, so things sorta came full-circle), so that was kinda cool... :)
    [​IMG]
    The next one's Joe Cali's Cali-Deco Floating Pen:
    [​IMG]
    Then came the writing instruments from Darkmetal-Design, Tuff Writer, and Fellhoelter, which all were at least designed over a decade ago:
    [​IMG]
    Darkmetal-Design made the black Protector way back when (or, at least, I noticed it in '10). Actually got the Tuff Writer Frontline series pen w/ NP3 finish before that (pretty tactical-lookin') bolt-action pen, yet placed it in the middle, w/ the regular TiBolt closest to the camera.

& some more from the latter 2 brands:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What's fun to see (to me, at least) is how designs/features evolve. For instance, compare/contrast Jack Roman's prototype Black Ultimate Clicky Pen (& later called the Precision Press) w/ the more recent Polished Black Zirconium RetroClick - notice anything different?

Anyway, will share some other folks' cool creations as well, which helps to show how their designs continue to develop, when I get the chance, just 'cuz it's fun to see how products or features change...

11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

12. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

oke, all, ...how are you liking the boltliner ? I'm still on my narrower/less girth kick with pens which keeps me away from many. I mean even the TiScribe got fatter.

13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Hey @RMinNJ - think there's a lot to like with Mike Bond's BoltLiner. It's light and probably has the diameter/barrel thickness you'd appreciate. There's no slip with the grip, and the clip'll clamp on to whatever pocket material you have, along with being higher up on the writing instrument for a deeper pocket carry. And the way he likes to have the ink refill extend out enough (for the drafting style tip) so folks can see where the pen tip is positioned and so there's room to use a ruler or protractor along the tip may be a plus. No complaints with those deets.

Yet there might be an issue related to having the tip extend out so much. The further you press down on the bolt (and, by extension, on the refill's spring) to extend the pen point, the greater the spring force resisting the action. And, at least in my experience, pressing down on the bolt just that little bit further and then (w/ a right hand) moving it over to the right to the locked, extended position takes just a little more effort. Or, it's a stiffer spring and my thumb's not the most adept... It's not as smooth as the action of the TiScribe-Go or Machine Era Bolt-Action Field Pen v2, yet it's not a deal-breaker or anything either.

So it could be one which you'd wanna write with. :D

Otherwise, related to the snippet of a previous reply about sharin' the collection:
    Here be a sampling of (mostly) bolt-action pens (rounded up most of 'em, and omitted a couple iterations & brands to get 6 writing instruments per image, like the +61 MIG Bolt Pen; also, a few more are yet to come - for some reason, after the update that BigIDesign's version would ship around the end of this month was sent recently, I must've imagined that it was here already, because I could've sworn I remembered opening it and was flicking the bolt, as if I already had it in hand, but no dice - odd!):
    [​IMG]
    • Darkmetal-Design Black Protector
    • Fellhoelter Knifewerks (now Toolwerks) standard TiBolt
    • Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. Cal .50
    • Tactile Turn Green Anodized Aluminum Slider
    • The Right Choice Paint Company Titanium Bolt Pen w/ Black Cerakote Clip
    • Böker Plus Black Aluminum Rocket Pen (designed by Darriel Caston)
    • Bastion Stainless Steel Bolt-Action Pen
    • Bobby Davis' (Vital Carry) MagBolt w/ Aluminum accents
    • TTi-108 Titanium-Aluminum-Steel Bolt-Action Rollerball Pen
    • Ion Pen Bolt-Action Edition
    • Inventery Bolt-Action Pen
    • The Shoreline Pen
    • Tactile Turn (standard diameter) Bolt-Action Pen
    • Ti2 Design BoltLiner
    • Machine Era Bolt-Action Field Pen v2
    • Urban Survival Gear TiScribe-Go
    • Wolfram Pen by Beck (voksdarts)
    • The Tin Mill Helic - Precision Machined Helical Bolt-Action Pen

Last edited by oke, Nov 15, 2021
    #3533 oke, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Nick4305 and usk15 like this.
  14. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Wow that is some collection.. Thanks. Im waiting for some more Right Choice Painting Co bolts to be made.. barring that a Boltliner is definitely
    in my future. I decided wider diameter pens are not for me no matter how nice. My whole journey/problem started with my Michaels Fatboy that
    was nice to write with and not uncomfortable but eventually caused elbow pain.

lucas760 likes this.
  15. lucas760

lucas760 Loaded Pockets

Still with the best bolt pen[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and twin63 like this.
  16. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes Loaded Pockets

Bad Company. My bud and I have several Joe Cali Fountain Pens. We've never seen a Joe Cali like this. Brand new find . Where did you find it, purchase it? Joe is now no longer with us. Quite an engineer, made several Camera invention, IIRC. Jim

17. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Interjectin' here, just for fun... :D

See, I had noticed that it seemed like there were 2 named Joseph Cali back in '03-'06 as well. After stumbling upon the site for Joe's Cali-Deco Floating Pen, I wanted to learn more about him and this pen he made, and Elgoog's search results at the time also brought up the Joe Cali with whom you're familiar, so that also confused me.

By then, I joined the (Thomas) Zoss Pens list (where folks'd send out emails to the list email address and would receive the emails redirected to subscribers, either as they were sent, or regularly compiled into a digest newsletter, &, minutiae - it has actually been around in some form or another till this past August), and even asked folks about this Joe back then (sharin' the relevant excerpt, just 'cuz), though I think replies mostly just agreed that the 2 were not same:
    The Joe with whom I traded emails had the flash-based nextgen-usa site w/ one section about the Cali-Deco Floating Pen, while the other was for his Type IV Conversion Manual which showed folks how to adapt a VW Type IV engine for use in vehicles with Type 1 engines (I think). Just happened to be that there was no familial connection and merely a koinkidink, fwiw. Anyway, got that Floating Pen from Joe over a decade ago when he was selling off his last ones.

So, related to the mention that version 2 of the Machine Era Field Pen Bolt-Action would drop, thought it was a good time to update the shot of Machine Era Co./Makerset Co. writing instruments, since both the raw Stainless Steel & Black Nitride Field Pen Bolt-Action v2 pens are here.
    [​IMG]
    Not pictured: The Fountain Pen kit, since the reward from that ks project was a gift to one who'd get more use out of it. :)

Last edited by oke, Nov 19, 2021
    #3537 oke, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Nick4305 likes this.
  18. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

Hinderer Investigator in brass[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

dischu, twin63 and CV801 like this.