1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, the difference is negligible IME, but I find the fine refill "scratchy" and the fact that it lays down less ink is a negative for me...personal preference, but based on experience. I own several pens equipped with 'em, but they're for outdoor S H T F use, along with Rite in the Rain or similar pads. If you need something that writes upside down, the various Sharpie iterations are better writers. The reason I don't count on a Sharpie for S H T F duty is the possibility of a cap coming off & drying out....something I don't have to worry about with the Fisher.

#3441 Tesla, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I write almost exclusively with Fisher cartridges and find they are much better than the ones I bought years ago.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Japanese brass pencil gets a nice patina ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I get it. Fine pens in general are scratchy compared to medium, I agree. For me, eliminating the 'blobs' is an advantage though! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Re: Fisher PR ink cartridges in the Wingback Black Steel pen - I suppose that ymmv about whether or not that's a refill ya wanna use. If it helps, there's at least the Schmidt MegaLine Ballpoint 4889 Refill which is compatible as well, if that's your cup o' joe/tea... Others which are also 3.5" in length, which might work in its stead, are listed over yonder.

Fun to see the discussion about the Fisher PR refill, though; seems to have its fans and critics! I was hopin' that the writing instrument could be redesigned to take at least the Parker-compatible International G2 refill, and when I asked, the project creator said that the main focus was on the Black Steel finish, and that maybe other refills would be designed for with future projects.

And while the Black Steel pen's clipless, it does have a pocketable length (for the front of pants/shorts), at least, and its finish won't ever get scratched. The supplied cotton sleeve also helps if you're worried about the coating actually abrading material off of other items in said pocket, so that was a thoughtful accessory.

So, along with the supplied refill, not having a clip could be a deal-breaker for some, yet as long as I've got a pocket for it (like what I currently do with the Fisher Millennium space pen), I wanna use it as a daily driver which also won't happen to develop "character marks", due to the black titanium carbide carbon coating. :)

Now, as some contrast, here's a twist pen which uses the Parker-compatible International G2 ink cartridge, and has a clip:
    [​IMG]
    :cool:

6. tandem

tandem Loaded Pockets

Kaweco Supra Brass with a fine nib inked with Noodler's Brown #141

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

smokingfish, twin63 and Benton629 like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

In general, Fisher refills do work in pens designed to use Parker style refills. Fisher refills usually come packaged with a little plastic 'widget' that fits over the back end of the refill and acts the same as a Parker cam....I use Fisher refills in a number of pens intended to use Parker refills in this manner.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

8. Moshe ben David

Like the looks of that pen. I wouldn't be using Noodler's ink, but that's just a bias on my part... except for certain Noodler's inks that are known for causing all manner of grief. I don't think the Brown is one of those inks IIRC...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Yep, you're correct. If the penmaker makes the internal dimensions fit a Fisher PR with the plastic adapter on back, then the Parker-compatible International G2 ink refills will also fit. In this case, so the overall length of the pen would be shorter/more pocketable*, the internal dimensions only accommodate the Fisher refill, without the adapter. That's why I asked if the pen could be redesigned for the more (ubiquitous?) Parker-sized ones. :D

*Sometimes, the issue isn't the overall length of the writing instrument that determines whether or not the Parker-compatible G2 refill will fit, and it's more dependent on how the space inside the barrel is able to be used... ;)

10. Moshe ben David

All of that makes sense... I'm not surprised. Thanks

Moshe

11. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Glad to see the site back up... any new pens lately? I know the Ti2Design Bolts are coming out and I'm hoping TT makes a narrower pen.
    What I found is my Parker Jotters did not make for good jean pocket carry but my metal pens with strong clips do..

12. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Recently got a tactile turn bolt in titanium with the damascus bolt. Very nice pen.

RMinNJ likes this.
  13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Excellent choice--I have one of the older ones (different bolt curve and will take Schmidt P8126 capless rollerball refill). I was sad to hear from Will that the new design would no longer accommodate that refill (new pen is just slightly smaller internally). That made it a deal-breaker for me buying any more of them.

14. smokingfish

I take it that is your favorite refill. I havent tried that one before, now I am curious hehe. I do like the g2 refill that was provided.

Tesla likes this.
  15. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I did not like the new TT Bolts.. the shape and taper of the grip was changed and it just feels fatter writing with it..to me the tip feels like the old Shaker tip which I also did not like. I guess I need a narrower pen ..which TT say they will be making. I'm really surprised the new Bolts with the larger grip/different tip are not as big internally to take the 8126 refill.

16. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

Karas Retrakt

[​IMG]

ran23, RMinNJ, echo victor and 2 others like this.
  17. smokingfish

I'm waiting for the bolt action pen that Jason from darksucks is making.

18. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

ooh.. how fat or ergonomic do you think his will be?

19. smokingfish

Ooh I am not sure. I have not held any pens from darksucks so I couldn't say.

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, it and the Parker-size Schmidt Easy Flow. I've tried to get away from pens that use longer refills because they're usually too long to carry in a shirt pocket without sticking out too much. The downside to the P8126/P8127 refill is like every other rollerball, it is not waterproof. The Easy Flow, however, is.

smokingfish likes this.