1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

I actually like that Pelican pen!
    Simple, smaller than the Premade!
    Any link to a seller with reasonable prices?

echo victor likes this.
  2. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, "reasonable" is subjective... Does twice the price of what it could've been found for 10+ years ago seem decent (not the retail price, the smaller value)? If so, at that one auction site, you can find a person willing to send one to you; searchin' for "Pelikan K7 Minoro" should get ya there. ;)

Hope that helps!
    :cool:

3. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

MB's[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. GoBlueCO1

GoBlueCO1 Loaded Pockets

My Matt Martin 500, it’s full Ti and Cf. One of the best writing pens I’ve ever owned!
    [​IMG]

5. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

Now something different, a Parker Contact ballpoint pen from around 2008. It is the lenght of a Jotter, but thicker and is made of plastic. Now is loaded with a vintage Fisher Space refill, i get it from a charity shop, the package and refill looks at least 20 years old. The large clip of this pen allow to attach to many things, mostly outdoors, but i preffer to keep it in front jeans pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bad Company

..[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Awww, hey, no way! I thought I was on the ball gettin' an order in 3 minutes before the page was supposed to go live! The tracking history just says the following:

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    GARLAND, TX 75041
    A shipping label has been prepared for your item at 8:45 pm on June 10, 2020 in GARLAND, TX 75041. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

Sooo, how do ya like the mechanism? Does it work smoothly? Looks like he's done well with the craftsmanship, as usual!

Bad Company likes this.
  8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, I can't remember when, yet I seem to remember that the person's username seemed like a brand name, and so, on a hunch, I checked Elgoog to see if there were any hits. And, sure enough, there is such a company name.

I'd been meaning to get back to your post and only remembered now to do so. So, my apologies on the late reply, however, it looks like True Talon's showin' off their (sold out) Blue Thunder 3 writing instrument, which does look pretty snazzy!

9. Bad Company

Hi Oke-

Yes, Will has created yet another great mechanism for a pen. Machining is top notch, and his new side button engages very well. You'll be happy when you get the pen.

Coletrain182 likes this.
  10. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

That's awesome! Lookin' forward to it - still has just the "Pre-shipment" status in the tracking history, yay...

Bad Company likes this.
  11. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Since the Opus 88 just showed up, figured I would line up a couple of my fountain pens[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

2 grey ones arrived at the same time...
    The Sunderland Machine Works Grey Mk1:
    [​IMG]
    & Inspirs Grey TP1 (w/ custom engraving):
    [​IMG]

usk15, Bad Company and twin63 like this.
  13. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

What is your impression of that Sunderland Machine Works? I've been looking at those for awhile, but I've never pulled the trigger.

14. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Hey @Nusm (and, aside - I was lookin' at the ig comments for Will's Tactile Turn Ti Side Click Pen gaw, and think I noticed your name) - I was just thinkin' about the craftsmanship of, and using, the mk1 - small world!

Sunderland's created a well-made, high quality writing instrument. The features and details seem well-thought-out and executed well, imo. For instance, press-fit hollow pins retain the clip. At one time, thought about trying out the Karas Kustoms Ink because it also has a solid clip (which I suppose I've got a bias about, ever since I saw lamy's take on them with the 2000 and other models) and is a machined metal writing instrument, yet the (very subjective) asymmetry of having fasteners on one side of the cap sorta bugged me. Instead of fasteners, which might not ever need to be unfastened, I thought the through hole look of the hollow pins seemed like a nifty idea, and pretty clean-looking. Why have screws which look like they could be removed, if the intention is for the installed components to be (mostly) permanently set in place? I suppose you could use a pin punch if the clip (and the threaded component inside the cap) ever needed to be taken off, so there's that. It was different though, in most of the promo shots of the mk1, I didn't readily see how the clip was fastened to the cap, as if the pins were intentionally not shown (though, looking back at the campaign, it seems I missed/forgot the text about the pins and this shot of the components).

In terms of what is supposed to be disassembled, the cap threads off and onto the tip (inside the grip) smoothly (no metal scratchiness or alignment issues noticed) and the parts fit well together. The same goes with removing the grip from the barrel. Maybe it's how sharp the tap and die were (or just in my head), yet threading on and off the parts is just really smooth, with not much wiggle between the parts when threading. There are probably more threads per inch at the grip/barrel connection so the cap unthreads from the grip with the usual twist before the grip would do so from the barrel (I figure that more threads per inch means more friction between the parts, to inhibit movement?), yet that's probably a common issue to deal with if more than one side of a component has threads - just ramblin'.

Also, the rough count was 3.5-ish revolutions to remove and close the cap, and 11+ turns for the grip (separate from the threads/inch thought). Anyway, maybe I hadn't noticed it with other writing instruments as much, yet the well-cut threads (imo) seemed as smooth as the first "big" (~$57) splurge I went for way back when, the rotring 600 series Trio-pen (pictured in there somewhere, and it's different than the newer rotring 600 3-in-1, which doesn't seem as "cool", imo, w/ less features - no eraser - or not as nifty a way to deploy/retract the pen/pencil points), which to me conveys a sense o' high quality workmanship.

The finish is pretty uniform. I did see a couple of shinier (yet almost not noticeable) little marks/lines on the cap, where there could have been some other materials coming into contact with it before it got to me, yet it is aluminum, so as a softer material, I suppose that that can't be helped. I mean, with use, stuff's bound to gain "character marks", yet it'd be cool if the owner was the one to make 'em...

Also, since it's mostly composed of aluminum, it isn't a heavy writing instrument. & posting the cap doesn't mess with the balance much either. The grip's diameter is 0.358" (according to the ks campaign page), so those who want to use a thinner writing instrument might appreciate that, and the circumferential grooves help it not be slippery to hold.

For those who like the Montblanc Rollerball and Fineliner cartridges and/or Pilot G2 refills, the Sunderland Machine Works mk1 is a pretty spiffy machined metal container for 'em. Maybe not for those who are looking for a quick edc pen (yet I figure it'd stand up to being used everyday, though ymmv), yet great for any occasions where ya might want to use a high-quality, "dressy" writing instrument w/o looking like you're using some well-known, big company, branded object.

Though really, all of this is just my impression, fwiw... :D

Bad Company likes this.
  15. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

16. milkyspit

milkyspit Loaded Pockets

Nothing particularly fancy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

usk15 and twin63 like this.
  17. id30209

id30209 Empty Pockets

The Man is here! Great pen BTW, That's the way to go, plastic will always be safe on the desk, unlike fancy ones.
    Still running your Surefire's BTW. :)

milkyspit likes this.
  18. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

What a great write up! Thanks for all of this, it sounds like the pen feels as good as it looks. I've got more pens than I could use in my lifetime, but orange is my favorite color, and the orange MK1 calls out to me. I've been alternating a titanium and a zirconium Bolt Action Short Tactile Turn pens as my EDC, so I'm going to keep rolling with them for now.

I don't need another pen.... I don't need another pen.... I don't need another pen.... I don't need another pen.... !

twin63, Moshe ben David and jcombs like this.
  19. AUPhan
    • In Omnia Paratus

AUPhan Loaded Pockets

I'm using a Zebra F-701 with a Uni Power Tank 0.7mm refill.
    [​IMG]

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

What, if any, mods were necessary to use that refill? I'm unfamiliar with it.