1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Nice gear.
    What kind of pen or mechanical pencil is that?

2. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

An Apollo XI commemorative from Studio Neat w/ a fun ks project funding period (it lasted the duration of the Apollo XI mission 50 years later, from launch to splashdown, iirc, & the image shown is the first one which was sent, where you could see machine marks under the titanium chromium nitride finish, and when you click on the image, the url gets to the replacement writing instrument they provided, which was more evenly polished):
    [​IMG]
    :cool:

3. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

Got this in the mail on Saturday. It’s a Karas Kustoms Thunderhead Groove EDK v2. Only 50 were made.

[​IMG]

tmgplc, peli1984, surefire7 and 6 others like this.
  4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Surprise, here's another black writing instrument which is new to me (my bad for the lack of visible details on the matte black pen; this is the configuration when the pen refill's retracted and a person can clip the pen onto pocket materials):
    [​IMG]
    It's sorta like a variation on a theme of previous black twist pens, where, like the Pininfarina PFOne, there's a few more features included.

Both Bvlgari and Pininfarina attempted to create a barrel with at least 1 acute angle between two surfaces, to help ergonomically so one can grip the writing instruments better. I think it's called a truncated triangular cross-section for the PFOne or maybe, "trichinoid" (which was the shape of the barrels for some Porsche writing instruments). And then, when ya twist the mechanism to extend the pen tip, that motion also makes it so the clip cannot be accessed (so a person doesn't accidentally clip the pen to a pocket when the point's out).

Anyway, realizin' now that the image's pretty dark with two matte black writing instruments in the shot, yet this is both of them together, fwiw.

RMinNJ likes this.
  5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

This one's been getting a lot of use lately. Franklin-Christoph Model 45 XLV in Vintage Green (EF nib).
    [​IMG]

GRH, keycutter, echo victor and 2 others like this.
  6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Small world; these 2 arrived today (though they had different shipping times):
    [​IMG]

RMinNJ, GRH, Stormdrane and 2 others like this.
  7. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

What the black pen? I received the RPC Shorty this week and like it. What size are these two?

8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Don't have a ruler with me atm, yet The Right Choice Painting Company Ti Bolt Pen's got a listed length of 4.870" and the Marks Innovative Gear +61 black Stainless Steel Bolt Pen is listed as 125mm long, or 4.921". They're both made for the Parker-compatible International G2 ink refills (or Fisher pressurized refills with the adapter on back).

:)

9. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

New pen

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdisom, Stormdrane, jcombs and 6 others like this.
  10. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

An anodized gunmetal aluminum writing instrument to join the stainless steel and titanium bolt pens from a few days ago. This one's a modular design with a separate barrel component and different spring to swap out a Parker-compatible International G2 refill for the ones which match the Pilot G2 cartridge size:
    [​IMG]
    This one has the bolt-action mechanism on the other side of the clip, so it's maybe more for left-handed folks? Or at least just something to get used to using.

#3390 oke, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Stormdrane and twin63 like this.
  11. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Here are 2 which are new to me (playin' a little catch-up of some writing instruments from the last month and a half or so; one's actually an older model):
    [​IMG]
    Besides having a slip cap or sleeve which houses the pen barrel, they both use magnets to keep the cap on when closed.

The Premad also magnetically keeps the cap on when it is in the opened configuration as well (again, shown with the Pelikan K7 Minoro):
    [​IMG]
    So, it's not a new concept (to have a long cap which is more of a sleeve for the pen barrel, and inserting the barrel in the other way sometimes extends the length of the instrument; Fisher's bullet space pen or the used-to-be Millennium - now Infinium - ones are like that, and, on ks, the Pen Type-A is another example, fwiw), and there are other new-ish ones out there. One ks project which was funded recently is the mini-switch pen, and Dan Provost and Tom Gerhardt (who made the Mark One & Apollo XI 50th Anniversary edition) look like they might add their take on the sleeved writing instrument soon.

Stormdrane likes this.
  12. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I have the all-stainless version of this pen. Thing's thick, heavy and an absolute tank, but it's one of my favorite pens and surprisingly pocketable.

13. chris975d

chris975d Empty Pockets

What pen is this?

14. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Bastion executive luxury bolt action pen. You can find them at Bastion's site or Amazon.

15. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

The cap is magnetically held in place. What about in a pocket? And where is the cap to be kept when it is not on the pen protecting the stylus? I don't see any good solution here!

Tesla and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

In a pocket, the pen point's covered by the sleeve/cap and the pen barrel held in place by the magnet. And I suppose you could hold the sleeve/cap when the pen point's exposed, yet otherwise, as shown, you can just post the cap on the back of the barrel. Did I misunderstand the issue?

17. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

Are you going to hold that little cap in your hand while using the pen? How long before it is gone missing?
    How can you "..post the cap on the back of the barrel.." while using it?
    Could you please just post a picture of the modules, all separate?

18. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I found a review on Youtube of the Premad fountain pen, and now I see the function.
    Quite the same as the Fisher Space pen Bullet.
    Just with added magnets!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Great pens. I like a pen with some heft to it. Looks pretty awesome too. I saw the pen on Carbon Fiber Gear website but for more than twice what I paid for it on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Oh man, good questions, and thanks for the insight! I must figure my mindset is that, because I share some pics and some text, what I understand about the writing instruments has been sufficiently conveyed to others, while actually, it all wasn't very clear. Whoops!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you were able to figure it out!
    Includin' Bobby Davis' Vital Carry MagBolt with Bastion's take on the bolt-action pen, just for kicks (&, kinda forgot that that stainless steel one also has the sorta "left-handed" mechanism, like the Shoreline Bolt pen; Inventery's version also has the same configuration - may post a pic of that one when I get the opportunity):
    [​IMG]
    And last, just received this one:
    [​IMG]
    "Acknowledge. Dismantle. Rebuild."

CV801 and Moshe ben David like this.