1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC writing instrument picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Mumbojumboo, May 3, 2012.

1. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

This is the patina version which came already with some forced patina. Now some of that has worn off and natural patina has set in. They probably just dipped it into something like gun blue and wiped it off to get a nice contrast between the grooves and the exposed parts.

2. DDG.2

DDG.2 Loaded Pockets

Wolfman Zack and twin63 like this.
  3. DDG.2

DDG.2 Loaded Pockets

4. jeepfreak38

jeepfreak38 Loaded Pockets

Ah. Good thinking. May have to try a little gun blue and see what happens. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thefrank likes this.
  5. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I haven't used it on a pen so far but I tried it on copper and brass lanyard beads. It works very well but it wears off quite easily and will only really last longer in the grooves. Make sure to clean the item before you apply the gun blue otherwise it will be uneven.

6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Didja get yours yet? How do ya like it?

This be mine:
    [​IMG]
    :cool:
    P.S. - Photobucket's gettin' rid of 3rd party hosting, so I guess it's just a fluke that you might be able to see the image above. So I suppose after you just see a placeholder, then you can see the image there: j.mp/TiScribe-Bolt_ks1 :D

HVACn00b and twin63 like this.
  7. DDG.2

DDG.2 Loaded Pockets

Mark_Trail likes this.
  8. HVACn00b

HVACn00b Loaded Pockets

I did. Love it. I also had a flaw with the bolt rubbing, emailed Kelvin and he sent me a second at no charge.

I think I need to anodize one [​IMG]

Mark_Trail likes this.
  9. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

10. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] Depending on my mood. Sterling silver pen collection on a Holtz Leather field notes folio.

11. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Really nice setup!

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Oh, do you know someone who can anodize these? Pretty cool!

And it ended up that the first pen had bad fasteners which made the clip bolt wear on the barrel, so, like you, Kelvin provided a replacement:
    [​IMG]
    And again, when the 3rd party hosting by photobucket ends, the image is there: j.mp/2TiScribe-Bolts

HVACn00b likes this.
  13. jeepfreak38

jeepfreak38 Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to decide on a new EDC pen. Right now I have an Uzi tactical pen, that is ok. I'm looking at the Karas Kustoms EDK, the TiScribe Bolt and the Hinderer. I'm also open to others. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

14. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I don't understand the TiScribe Bolt...Won't the clip always eventually start wearing on the barrel as its operated ?

15. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Unless you pamper it scratches will always appear on pens with that design. All clips on all pens dent/scratch the body but usually the ugliness stays hidden under the very clip causing the issue. Not so much on pens with moving clips.

16. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Of the ones you're looking at, I am familiar with and like the TiScribe-Bolt. :cool:
    No, not in this situation. It is unlikely, during "normal operation", that the two components will come into contact.

Kelvin designed some clearance between the interior face of the tip of the clip and the barrel. So if the fasteners are not "bad" and tightened properly, and if one only applies pressure to the clip/bolt from its top curve (which is the normal way of extending/retracting the pen point, or, at least, the most intuitive way to do so), then the clip won't flex/bend toward the barrel during its movement.

However, the trade-off, imo, is that the clip will not provide a tight clamping force onto pocket materials which are thinner than the clearance, although it works quite sufficiently for probably a majority of pockets.

I think another way to approach the idea of no wear/scratches where two materials may rub together, if the maker were up to it, and which is appreciated, is to design the various components of the writing instrument with the material which may be better-suited for its function, instead of only choosing one material (such as titanium) for all components. For instance, in the case of Machine Era's Field Pen, the clip is made from aluminum, so it still provides a good grip on pocket materials, and, even though it's in contact with the stainless steel pen body (though not over a large surface area), which is harder, the barrel will not show scratches, or at least, I haven't noticed any (or the design makes it so one doesn't notice the areas in contact very much).

Does that make sense?

HVACn00b likes this.
  17. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

I just remembered that, not only did the creators of the TiScribe-Bolt and Field Pen think to design their pens so that the clip would not scratch the pen barrels, but Kelvin Verrett also made a point to mention that he created that gap between the clip and pen barrel in in his ks video. :)

Just fyi...

18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Gaps are nice and all, fact is that a clip needs to be able to bend. If it bends one way it'll bend the other way too. As long as you carry it in a box or shirt pocket it'll stay pristine no doubt about it but if you toss it in a bag sooner or later they'll touch.
    Don't get me wrong tho, pens are tools and there's absolutely no shame in a tool showing that it's actually been used by having some wear. I just think it's funny to design something around problems your very design is creating and then market it accordingly by saying it doesn't have that issue.

19. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

I didn't back it on KS because:

1. The barrel is so thin.
    2. The seam can't be hidden under the grooves.
    3. It doesn't have a pointy tip/cone.
    4. After owning a Tactile Turn Glider for a bit, I really hate bolt pens with the huge gap as shown in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by TiBoy, Aug 4, 2017
    #2939 TiBoy, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    403Jeeping likes this.
  20. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets