1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC versus what I'm carrying today....

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by bryan123, Aug 23, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm asking this question because I often see posts or pictures of what people say they're "EDCing today" or what they're "rotating in and out of their EDC".

How can something be an EDC item if you're carrying it only today or only on certain days or if items are being rotated?

I can kind of see the point of someone saying "I EDC a Knife" and they switch off between several different ones, but that's kind of like the way I rotate my fountain pens and I don't consider them to be EDC items because I switch them off so frequently. My EDC pen I guess would be my Nite Ize Inka Mobile because I have carried it attached to a belt loop every day since my girlfriend gave it to me in April, regardless of which pants I am wearing.

Obviously no right answer here but what do you think constitutes EDCing something?

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The EDC concept is a tenet. It is NOT that you carry specific items daily, but it is more that you carry types of items. The equivalent is that you wear clothes every day.

TKC, Replete, Tallboyjim and 4 others like this.
  3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

That makes sense, and allows for rotating between several different knives for example.

The other side of this is that I have read posts for example where folks will point out thay have every day carried the same specific item for a very long time, for example, "My Micra has been on my keyring since 1997" or "I've carried my P-38 every day since the end of the war".

By that criteria I've carried my Levenger single sheet cutter every single day in my leather coin pouch for the last 3 years.

Last edited by bryan123, Aug 23, 2016
    O_G likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There are no "rules" of EDC; just VERY loose guidelines the very oldest and simplest of which is that you CARRY something or anything that helps you in any way. Applying a criteria or some sort makes for good conversation but can complicate matters and is a setup for your "NEXT" item (discussed in a different thread).

kikaida, Mumbojumboo and Water-Rat like this.
  5. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

Shhhh! You'd best be quiet. We wouldn't want to anger the gear-mongers and their vassals, causing a riot! LOL!!!

First, let's get some context. I'll use knives as the example. Once upon a time, Grand dad carried a $5 pocket knife bought from the hardware store (back then $5 was something). He carried and used it every day for everything, until the blade was worn down to a splinter from sharpening it on a coarse stone. Then he bought another one, just like it. It was a tool to be used. He didn't give it a name, classify it, or have six of them. It was a pocket knife, his pocket knife, and it was always in his pocket. Where it belonged. Every man carried a pocket knife, except maybe for the fancy men. But they hired real men for such menial things.

These days, you often see guys carrying a $600+ "mid-tech" or "custom" knife with an artificially created patina, in a silk pouch. Often it gets sharpened to the point of being able to separate molecules, and is accessorized with ornate beads on decorative straps. Then it never actually gets used to cut anything (another small and cheap knife is carried for that purpose). It is stored in a safe or lock box with the wife's jewelry when not being carried. These knives are nothing more than jewelry for vain men. It is a shiny bauble for idle hands to fondle. It is a fashion statement. It is a desperate attempt by emasculated men to achieve their desired alpha male status, in a society that despises alpha males.

Now, to answer the original question. Because these knives (or watches, flashlights, bags, etc) are ultimately a fashion accessory, they must be changed on a daily basis. Just as it would be unconscionable to wear the same shoes or pants two days in a row, one should not carry the same "fashion knife" repeatedly in a week. That would be gauche.

Since I've spoken the unspeakable, there will most certainly be protests, cries of foul play, demands for apologies and retribution, and possibly even insults and threats. Go on, get it out of your system...

As for what I consider EDC? The items I've been carrying every day for years, of course. Since someone might ask (Yeah right! They are planing my lynching while I prattle on!): Vic SwissChamp, Zebralight SC50, and a mid 80's Ronson butane lighter. Latest and greatest? Nope. Functional and reliable though. What about a watch? Yes, I have a dress watch, a casual watch, and a rough use watch. Bigger knife? I often carry another larger knife, what it is depends on where I'm expecting to go or what I'll be doing. No "rotation", rather anticipated need. None of them exceed $200. All get worn/have been used, but maybe not that day. Therefore I won't say I "EDC" a specific watch or other knife. And I fully admit that fashion often dictates the watch and other knife. But I always have my EDC. Okay, except for that rare time I'm flying. But I check a bag and the SwissChamp is in there, so that should still qualify.

So, that is my take on EDC and "fashion carry"...

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I am not exactly sure where the acronym originated from. It's just a coined term, not a rule you must follow. You can view it as an acronym for "everyday carry" rather than "every day carry" if you prefer. Everyday can also mean "ordinary or commonplace." An everyday pocket knife is something you just carry for general things that come up in your regular daily life, versus a task specific knife like a hunting knife that you only take with you when going hunting. Doesn't mean you carry the same knife every day, but that you are carrying a knife for everyday tasks.

I don't use "EDC" to describe what I do myself. I just carry stuff with me to meet my typical or occasional daily needs. It's just part of the name of a gear forum I visit (this one).

Replete and 313 like this.
  7. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

It's called everyday "carry" and not everyday "use" for a reason I guess. I have cheap and expensive versions and carry what I feel like at the time. I don't get my dander up about people carrying expensive edc stuff. I'd rather have someone around me who is at least thinking of being prepared. It's about a general way of thinking and are the specifics of the carry really that important?

8. Bird_Dog

Bird_Dog Loaded Pockets

My feeling is they are items you have a need to carry every day not necessarily that it's a particular knife you carry everyday. But that you carry any knife every day.

9. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Had to sign in today just to like this quote.

10. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

If you do broadly the same thing everyday, you can carry the same thing every day. My work is too varied for that.

11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

My EDC is really carried everyday, and it's pretty bare minimum (wallet, Droid, 3 keys, Leek, MicroStream, white handkerchief, F-701).

12. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I believe most people here have EDCed well before they found this forum and discovered that it even had a definition. I look at EDC as I have items with me either on my person on in a bag that I have thought at some point I will need. I carry a 240 dollar knife and use it like any other. I also place value on it as a tool that may save my life one day so I take care of it. I use pens and pencils at work daily having three to sign documents. All three for different types of documents so depending on what I am signing I may not use all daily but I dont know when I will need them so I have them. I also carry a flashlight for work to be able to perform an inspection when necessary but dont need it everyday. It is always there when I do though. Funny thing is everyone knows I have them. If someone needs a pencil a knife or a flashlight some one is looking for me saying after asking and me handing the item to them, I knew you would have one. Its about what you feel that you will need through the day and what tool you decided to carry to perform a task you felt you would have to use it for at anytime. I could make it through my day without any of these items in my pocket but I sure feel better knowing I have them at my disposal if I do.

I switch out items every so often because I like new or different stuff. That's how I even found this forum! I still carry the same family of items every day but today I have a ZT out of the knife family tomorrow I may choose Spyderco both serve the same purpose just wanted to carry a different one. I do the same with flashlights. I swich my PD35 and MX1 Striker out depending on how I feel. Both are bad A lights serving me in the same manner. I just love carrying cool stuff in my pockets and I dont have enough pockets for ALL my cool stuff to occupy all at once so they take turns!

Hope that helps!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Stealth digger, Sno4Life and jcombs like this.
  13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Too much philosophizing by people justifying a forum mentality of materialism. Personally I don't have a problem with that, and have often been guilty of it myself, but I have stopped trying to justify it, and very gradually my "EDC" has become just that, my "everyday carry".

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk