1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Tips, Tricks & Hacks - What are your best ones?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by The_Wolf, Dec 13, 2018.

1. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

[​IMG]IMG_4517 by Austin Tanner, on Flickr

What clever ideas have you seen or come up with that have improved your EDC? Bonus points for unusual items or modifications. Description is great, picture is even better.

For example - I never have a need to use the can opener on my Wave, so I sharpened it. It now makes for a fantastic box opener/draw knife.

Nothing is too trivial, looking forward to hearing what the rest of you guys have come up with.

Last edited by The_Wolf, Dec 13, 2018
    #1 The_Wolf, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Just some simple things that work for me without adding much bulk..

Wrap some duct tape around a old credit card or a piece of plastic. No easier way to carry duct tape.

I always have pair of nitril or latex gloves on me for obvious reasons. But you can also use them to put stuff inside, or as a water container. If you blow them up and paint them, it is a great way to entertain kids. If you tightly wrap that ballon in a handkerchief, you have a pretty good ball to play with.

Put bike inner tubes around your lighter. Noone will steal your lighter anymore and you have good rubber bands at hand.

Grandma knew this is good.. but some people never thought about it.. put needle and thread in a folded piece of thick paper in your wallet. Dental floss makes a great solid thread as well. You can repair shoes with that stuff.

Then add one of these small twisty thingies with wire in it that are used for closing plastic bags. Easier to carry than zipties and about as useful. Add a pair of victorinox tweezers, if you have no other on you.

Always have a medium metal paper binder somewhere. Super useful for tons of things.

In my camping bag I have a thin flexible plastic cutting board. Can be good in your edc bag as well if you need to sit or kneel on wet ground or need to work something on a clean dry surface. Also it stabilizes your bag and can be used a a divider inside, to protect paper, and with your awesome paper binder it is a good writing pad. Or use it to fan air for starting a fire or a grill faster. Or just cut food on it. Or clip stuff on it in your bag, or duct tape pockets on it to have a cool ghetto admin panel. If you got a orange, yellow or red one, you can use it as a warning sign if you transport overlength stuff on your car or bike. Or write on it to have a colorful waterproof sign. Sharpie can be washed away later with alcohol or hand sanitizer. Millions of uses for these lightweight flexible boards.

So at least the cutting board uses might qualify as hacks.. will move mine from camping bag to edc bag now, lol.

#2 flux, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I always carry a large trash bag folded up in my wallet. Not really an EDC purpose but more like a survival item if needed. I work outside and sometimes we get stranded. Can use it as a poncho, bivvy bag, tarp, rain catcher, whatever. Also, not much of a hack. But I use a Mora companion for work. Over time the knife loosens in the sheath so I stole an elastic hair band from the wife and looped it through the clip and over the handle.
    Let me think of some more stuff. This is an interesting topic...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

4. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

The cutting board tip is exactly what I'm talking about; I would have never thought of that.

Revj, A.B., loneslinger and 3 others like this.
  5. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

I put the needle & thread under the opener layer on my SAK.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Appreciating this thread - I'm not sure if below is "clever" and qualifies to be posted here :rolleyes:

A small zipper pull whistle on some paracord is both a fob for my keychain and - a whistle, 2-in-1.

Carry a bizcard between my smartphone and -case, handy at hotel reception check-in or when meeting an interesting (future) business partner - does look fine as it is protected by the smartphone stiffness. Others carry a $20 or EURO 20 bill instead of a biz card - as emergency money.

When traveling longer distances / through unknown terrain I carry a "mugger" wallet with some demo credit cards (not with my name on it!) and some cash. As we in Europe still depend on coins I stuff as much coins (usually 1 and 2 EURO) in the coin pocket of the wallet. In case I would get stranded and need to live out of a vending machine (most except only coins) I can go for a while. Again 2-in-1.

Carrying a normal size band-aid and one alcohol pad inside my wallet. Micro FAK for small scratches, which adds almost no weight to my wallet.

A 1 liter size zip lock bag in my EDC backpack - makeshift smartphone water protection housing for heavy rains and when on a boat; and store/carry anything else that fits in it and needs some sealing from the outside.

Micro-SD card (minimum 8GB) with Linux Live boot image on it, can be used with MicroSD-to-USB adapter (carried as well) to boot most modern Intel 64 bit laptops and PCs (requires boot media selection = USB). Can also store data to transfer from one PC to another, or via OTG-USB adapter (carried as well) also with those smartphones/tablets that have support for it (and lack a micro SD card slot).

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Dec 14, 2018
    #6 FiaOlleDog, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018