1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC teenager problem? Parents...

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Mr. Martines, Jun 14, 2014.

1. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

More ideas:
    A really well crafted knife is a work of art. The angles, the geometry, the patience it takes to build a good knife with a tight fit, but not too tight, the polishing and sharpening of the blade, the making of the scales so they look and feel just right.
    A knife is not just a knife.

Spartigus likes this.
  2. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

Yeah for sure, just look at Atwoods or anything like that. You can also pass them down :)

3. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

I feel you. I hid my knife from my parents once and convinced them I needed to buy another to replace it.

4. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I'll toss out this idea too... Devil's advocate if you will... How much do you use both of your knives? I know I've bought gear and used it a few times and then realized how little I really NEEDED that gear! Focus on functioning with what you have and evaluate it to see if you really NEED anything else. True reflection might show you're set as it is. Then demonstrate to your parents your maturity and reliability. In all things, not just handling your tools etc etc. They'll come around if you demonstrate to them you're responsible enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Boric287 and Doraemon like this.
  5. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

You might be able to convince them as long as it's your $$, you get knives with different functions/designs, and you have a demonstrable use for them.

6. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

My parents also find it strange that I'm a 20 year old girl who lives in the UK but I think they've learned to accept it as they know I'm not running around stabbing people and I only use them for utility and looking pretty. Also since I buy them from my own money, they don't have such an issue with it. Actually, they're starting to come round, I was asked if I would lend one of my parents my PS4 Squirt the other day…NOPE! I'd never get it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Ogg, ManVsLawn and Mr. Martines like this.
  7. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Always have employment (preferably legal, hah), and always get good grades... Be mature. Don't do drugs 8)

These were my "Defense" strategies in my youth. I made money, had a car, and did great in Jr.High/HS/College.

Just be careful with knives/MT's and school. I accidentally brought my work knife to school (when you carry it often, you sometimes forget you have it...) and I was freaked. Around that time, US schools started the "No Tolerance" stuff so... No Bueno.

Mr. Martines likes this.
  8. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I bought my first (cheap) knife in college at age 18. For me it was more of a responsibility/maturity thing. My parents found out and were ok with it at first. Then I started to carry it out in the public, and the disapproval hammer came down so hard. I'm 21 now, with a few more knives than before, more flashlights, more EDC items in general. I will forever get the argument of "why do you have multiples of knives?", but before I do purchase a knife, I tell them about it, maybe educate them in the process in why a knife might cost as much as it does (example: material).

What I'm trying to say is, your parents are looking out for you. Try to educate them and maybe they'll find it just as interesting as many of us do.

Mr. Martines likes this.