1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC... so that's what they call my disease!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by matsaleh, Feb 10, 2009.

1. matsaleh

matsaleh Empty Pockets

Hey all, what a cool forum. How can I not sign up?

I guess I started EDCing long before I knew it was called that. My first exposure to the concept was when I got my concealed handgun permit (CHL in Texas, boah) in 2004. I soon learned the discipline of "carry daily" and it changed my life for the better.

After a year or two, I decided it was time I got back into the habit of carrying a pocket knife, because they're so handy. I had stopped that practice years before when I lost the Old Timer knife my dad had given me. :( My de-facto EDC back then was a Parker ballpoint and a brief case... a lifetime ago and a world away from now, happily so. Anyway, I got an assisted-opening Buck with an ATS-34 steel blade that today looks like crap because I have abused the hell out of it, but I always keep it sharp and lubed and it has never failed me.

Another year or so passed, and I decided I needed a *real* gun belt because all the gun guys were saying a regular belt just wouldn't do. I had been reluctant for some dumb reason, and then discovered the Wilderness Tactical rigger belts, which were super functional and called to me. Why had I resisted?

At this point the pace started accelerating rapidly...

I read about Leatherman multi-tools on some gun forum where folks were discussing their "daily carry". Now that my belt was capable of carrying a real load, I decided that the pocket knife alone wasn't enough in the tool department. I added a Leatherman Blast to my suite. This was around spring of 2007 or so.

The Leatherman really changed things for me. Suddenly I was able to remember to do all the little "honey dos" and fixit jobs around the house. Well, it wasn't really memory, so much as convenience. With the Blast, I could address about 90% of those jobs immediately, avoiding the need to go get a tool from the tool box, which seemed to present a real obstacle for me :). I was fixing appliances, installing stuff, etc. like a fiend after that.

This experience inspired me to make a conscious decision to always have "all the necessities of life" at my immediate disposal. This would ensure that I would be prepared for almost any situation I might expect to encounter at home, work, or around town. With that decision, I added to my belt a small Fenix LED light on a Civilian Labs retractable lanyard and a Fisher Trekker space pen.

I had traded my briefcase years before for a cheap book bag to carry my laptop and the odds and ends I accumulated at my job (mostly crap). I then upgraded to a more rugged "tactical" bug-out bag with lots of compartments. I then inventoried all the "crap" from the old book bag and replaced most of it with important stuff. Like an LED light with batteries, another knife, writing instruments, my checkbooks, a pocket New Testament, and a copy of the US Constitution. The list grew further and I added a functional first-aid/urban survival kit of my own making, some nylon cord, a widgy pry bar and other small tools, and a S&W 6906 9mm and spare mag.

My most recent enhancement was to start carrying two small 3"x5" hard bound notebooks (think Moleskine, but reasonably priced), one for work topics and one for home. Like the Leatherman, I was moved to solve my "memory" problems by never being at a loss for note taking materials. The notebooks are pretty compact, but they overfill the back pocket of my jeans, so I migrated to wearing BDUs instead to accommodate them in the thigh pockets.

Oh, and somewhere in there I traded in my eelskin wallet for a THE Jr wallet...

Oh, and I just got a Leatherman Skeletool CX on an impulse. I started carrying it AND my Blast, just to "evaluate" the Skeletool, but for some reason I haven't retired the Blast yet... so it rides in a sheath and the Skeletool on its excellent pocket clip.

I have started thinking of my EDC stuff as a three-tiered "system":
    1) Absolute necessities I never leave home without, ever: handgun and spare mag, phone/PDA, pocket knife, gun belt, space pen, THE Jr wallet (with fresnel magnifying lens :)).
    2) :censored: near absolute necessities that I only leave at home if I'm going someplace that requires me to "dress nice" (maybe once or twice a year): Tier 1 + Leatherman Blast, Fenix LED light, small notebook(s), BDU pants with copious pockets.
    3) Pretty :censored: near absolute necessities that are almost never farther away than my car: Tier 1 + Tier 2 + my bug out bag with all its contents described above. This goes with me to work, various appointments around town, and wherever I travel out of town.

There are are occasional exceptions of course, most notably when I have been forced to travel by air or to a state that does not allow CCW. In that case, I lose the gun, reluctantly, and pack the blades in my checked bags. But, everything else goes with me on my person or in my bag, and I add a full sized umbrella with a stout fiberglass pole, and one or two glossy magazines. These last items are purely for self defense in "weapon free zones" such as airports or Los Angeles.

Anyway, that's that. More than anyone needed to know about me, but thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in my disease. :)

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Oh you got our kind of sickness alright!

Welcome :laugh:

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Welcome aboard!

5. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Loaded Pockets

Oh man. From the looks of your intro, you are going to find all sorts of other stuff you "need" that you didn't even know existed. There are some cool heads on here. Welcome and enjoy!

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Welcome to my forum. See all the madness I created. ;D

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Welcome to the forums!

8. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF!

9. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDCF family!! :highfive:

10. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF
    The good news? Lots of leads to more EDCs
    The bad news? There's no cure for the disease

11. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

Welcome to EDCF! I look forward to hearing your ideas on your EDC gear.

Happy Carrying
    GuardDog

12. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

13. baz

baz Empty Pockets

One newbie to the other --> :welcome:

I've known about "edc" long before I learned of this place (which was just a few days ago). I don't know who first coined the expression (that would be interesting to know) but I think I first came across it on Doug Ritter's web site. Then I began to see it elsewhere (like on The High Road). How I went so long without hearing about this place is a mystery.

Nice intro/bio. I still have a tri-fold eelskin wallet. But I did just spring for a Skeletool, which I now edc along with a Guppie and a Cybertool 41.

14. *Hawk*

*Hawk* Loaded Pockets

:welcome: matsaleh

15. countryboycansurvive

countryboycansurvive Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: