1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Sling Bag Recommendation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by SOS24, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’ve been looking at sling bags for a while and even tried a few. I haven’t found one I really like, but I have figured out some of my wants, likes and dislikes. Now the question is does what I want exist?

Here are some of the features I would really like it to have:
    - Capacity @10-12L
    - Ambidextrous - strap can go over either shoulder and pockets accessible from both sides when moved to front.
    - Pocket to hold a water bottle. Preferably a pocket centered on bag and not one of main pockets. If a side pocket then it needs to be deep and secure enough that the water bottle won’t fallout. My edc water bottle is a hydroflask 24oz which is on the tall side.
    - An admin pocket with organizational pockets or loop field to install own.
    - A good size main pocket to fit a lightweight jacket, small FAK and emergency kit, small solar power pack, a few snacks and still have some space remaining
    - Prefer not too tactical looking (lots of molle and PALS panels)
    - Long enough strap to not be tight for an average to larger adult (5ft9in, 225)

Some that I’ve handled or tried are Patagonia Atom, MOAB 10, PacSafe Venture Safe, Eagle Creek National Geographic Adventure Sling, TruSpec Trek.

Two that I like somewhat and am considering, if I can’t find something better are Vanquest Carbide 10 and Tasmanian Tiger Tac Sling 12. I don’t like that neither has a water bottle pocket. I might be able to fit mine in the admin pocket or could add one to the outside of the TT Tac. I like how the Carbide can be a sling or backpack, although not sure how comfortable the straps would be. Both have a lot of internal organization that can be accessed from both sides.

Does anyone have any good recommendations.

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple. A very tacticool Maxped and a very vanilla Eddie Bauer Stowaway 20L.

I like them both, but the Stowaway gets used much more often. It's very lightweight, durable, packable and holds just enough stuff for me. Wouldn't want to take it for an extended hike, but for a quick trip here and there, it's great.

SOS24 likes this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I got one like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/OutdoorMaster-Sling-Bag-Crossbody-Backpack/dp/B07FK9TT3C/ref=sr_1_38?crid=2JQUIR7EHJCXD&dchild=1&keywords=sling+bag&qid=1593187172&sprefix=Sling+,aps,170&sr=8-38

There are probably a million like it on amazon and a million different names. But the style was the only one I found comfortable, the only one that was ambidextrous, didn’t require a tiny fiddly second strap and didn’t emphasise my man boobs. I reckon that teardrop shape is the way to go. Osprey do one as well.

One other point. The young people seem to buying waist packs and slinging them over a shoulder like a sling pack. That might help you/widen your search/make life more complicated.

Another thing, fishing packs. A few fishing brands came up on my search that might fit your specs.

Last edited by Tallboyjim, Jun 26, 2020
    #3 Tallboyjim, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    SOS24 likes this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I’ve looked at several of the tear drop ones on amazon. What I do find is the strap is ambidextrous, but access to the pockets really isn’t because the zippers are on just one side.

I’ve looked at several of the fanny packs, but they usually have two issues for me. Because the strap is meant for around the waist, it isn’t long enough to comfortably go cross body. The too short strap is even a problem on some slings, like the Eagle Creek if I wear anything heavier than a t-shirt. They usually have no way for carrying a water bottle.

I have a Helikon-Tex Bandicoot, that I’ve used for other purposes. I’m thinking about using paracord to make a removable extension strap and water bottle holder to possibly wear it crossbody. It’s smaller than I want but might work until I get something better.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  5. Mammoth

Mammoth Loaded Pockets

The 511 Moab 10 is what I have it’s okay doesn’t handle too much weight at all.
    I really like the pouches and organisation in the pack the size is just right for me commuting to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOS24 likes this.
  6. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

7. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I've been rocking a DEFY Insidious since December 2019. Best sling I've tried and one of the best overall bags in my stable. It does not have a dedicated water bottle pocket as requested though...

[​IMG]

SOS24 likes this.
  8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Chaco radlands sling. You'll likely end up with the black as the other colors are loud. There are also larger pack and smaller fanny pack variants.

9 liters, so smaller. No separate waterbottle carrier. does have a phone sized strap pouch. I use it for pen, reading glasses and such. Lined top glasses zipper pocket, interior small items zipper pocket, hidden zipper pocket on padded back panel.

I've been using a 16 oz plastic Sistema bottle with a well gasketed lid. Light compact, reasonably tough and no leaks.

Strap system connects with a tight fabric loop and toggle, not my favorite method but lighter and more streamlined than others. I used a cobra stitch wrap to retain excess strap length.

I have a pacsafe vibe and while they're rated similar capacity, radlands fits bulkier items better. Radlands is weaker on built-in organization but more useful to my load out.

#8 phatch, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    SOS24 likes this.
  9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions. Although both look like good packs they are just larger than I’m really looking for.

10. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This looks like it might fit the bill the best so far. Although it doesn’t have a separate water bottle pocket. In addition to having room inside, I could most likely hood a holder to the daisy chain on the front.

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

It appears to be a knock-off of the Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger?
    https://www.maxpedition.com/products/kodiak-gearslinger?variant=16065100611655

I've got the Kodiak, btw (it's amy all-seasons EDC bag), and have found it to be a very handy gearslinger; the problem is that I want to stuff too much in the darn thing, making it unhelpfully heavy at times! Construction-wise, it's very well made, and worth the price tag; I've bought knockoffs before, and the adage about "buying cheap buying twice" does tend to hold water; this said, I've also got a UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag (you can find 'em on Amazon), which is a copy of Maxpud's Jumbo gear slinger, (https://www.maxpedition.com/products/jumbo-versipack?variant=25898234184) which has a far lesser capacity than you're looking for, but which has lastedf a good few years now (it's my summer EDC bag).

Last edited by RogerStenning, Jun 28, 2020
    #11 RogerStenning, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    SOS24 likes this.
  12. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

5.11 Lv10 Sling.
    Bottle pocket,compresses and looks very everyday.

SOS24 likes this.
  13. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have grown to love my 5.11 MOAB6. I considered it ugly as sin when I first bought it, but it has proved time and time again to be the best manbag I own for general edc. Crucially it hold my 11” iPad , large bunches of keys, multi tool, flashlight, Oakley shades box, chargers , gps , radio and some huge bunches of keys. I list these items as they are irregular shapes of relatively small size that need to be constrained in a smaller space. The MOAB is compact.

tbzbbt

SOS24 likes this.
  14. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This looks exactly like I am looking for. I wish it was ambidextrous, but I may still have to give it a try.

Jay-uk likes this.
  15. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Let me know how its goes my friend I'm.trying to talk myself out of one,Ive too many packs ...that old thing
    Be interested to see how you find it, george Defined does a great review on it

SOS24 likes this.
  16. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I use my Hazard 4 Plan B often - suits me fine and is extremely tough...

ramjet and SOS24 like this.
  17. sixracer

sixracer Loaded Pockets

FYI I found the 3V Outlaw II in grey for sale on eBay at a pretty steep discount. The catch is that the packs are factory seconds - no hydration hole. If you don’t plan to use with hydration it’s a nice deal! (Seller also has Olive)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124271912290

#17 sixracer, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    variable, SOS24 and HeadOffice like this.