1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Skills

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by balexander87, Dec 14, 2015.

1. balexander87

balexander87 Empty Pockets

Greetings!

I've been lurking for a while, and recently felt I was beginning to develop some thoughts for discussion that would provide some reasonable amount of value to this exceptional forum. I hope I'm not mistaken!

Along the lines of this thread, I'm curious what skills are found to be most useful as an "EDC" item.

I'm a believer in the idea of "the more you know, the less you need". Based on the extreme degree of utility represented by most of the EDC packages displayed here, what are skills you find compliment these best? Specifically, which skills get used the most.

Here are some that I've thought of; maybe they'll help stimulate thought :)
    - First aid, CPR, etc.
    - Languages
    - Navigational skills
    - "Survival skills"; urban, wilderness or otherwise
    - Self defense

I love to learn and would appreciate any suggestions for things to look into!

Thanks! Have a great day!

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have found that an in-depth understanding of the utter peculiarities of human nature has been particularly efficacious in diffusing many volatile circumstances where I may have otherwise had to unholster that 45-caliber device that I frequently wear at 4:30 on my hip.

3. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

How to google something. I use it daily, and it can earn you a reputation for being smart!

4. Fenris

Fenris Loaded Pockets

Electricity. Understanding electrical current, even just the basics (Ohm's law, Kirkhoff's laws) can be invaluable. The difference between a practical knowledge of electricity and the ability to use magic can seem very small to most people.

Mechanical advantage, too! Learning how to use levers or ramps to greatest advantage will increase your efficacy in many situations, especially where resources are scarce and energy is a concern (read: survival situations.)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

My two most used: basic first aid and urban navigation. Cuts and stings are so common and it's so easy to get turned around in a strange city.

6. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I agree with this. My background in teaching and a smattering of psych has been more useful to me as a cop than my 2nd degree black belt. But it's nice to have that to fall back on.

An enquiring mind is the most important item you can carry. Learn skills and carry less I agree with. Then you carry what's important, not what looks good :)

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

There's no substitute for experience. However, you also have to take knowledge and concepts and adapt them or your learning curve gets real steep.

Examples:

- If you know a bit about plumbing that makes learning how to slow and stop bleeding easier.

- If you know about fulcrums and levers, learning self defense gets easier and you more quickly appreciate how much better to stop an attack.

- If you only think of knives as weapons you never fully learn how to use them as tools. Survival gets hard if you can't make a shelter, start a fire, catch dinner, etc., all of which are a lot easier if you have a knife, know what it's best for, and how to make it work.

Best things to learn are to how to think and how to think outside the box. Adapting is a useful skill and a basis of smart EDC-ing.

The absolute best thing to learn is that you should never, ever stop learning about anything and everything.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

8. Ben Rubinstein

9. balexander87

balexander87 Empty Pockets

Excellent points! Coming from a mechanical engineering background, this is something I take for granted, but you're right, it has proven invaluable on more than one occasion!

I recall one instance riding the light rail in St. Louis. The latch on an electrical access door had broke and the door was swinging free, slamming open and shut at every stop. After a moment, I remembered I had a spare business card in my wallet. Folded in half a couple times, it was just thick enough to jam the door shut. I practically got a standing ovation. Critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to improvise.

These are all great thoughts! Thanks everyone!

Cobra 6 Actual, Water-Rat and Fenris like this.
  10. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

As said before, everyone should have their CPR and first aid cert. At least just to have a vague idea of what to do. The least it teaches you to single out a person to call 911.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Electricity
    Hmmm...
    The informed would think that I would know that 1mwatt at 50 Ohms, .2236 Volts RMS equals 0dBm; but I have no bloody idea what all that means!:tongue:

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  12. night_shift

night_shift Loaded Pockets

I second this, only I'd say, "How to effectively google something." It may seem trivial but it's not always so - gotta learn how to talk to that dude (google) in order to make him spill out the answers you need.

13. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Big Google tip - if there are a few words that you want to search in order or a phrase, put them in quotes. I'm surprised it's not used more often.

GrayMouser likes this.
  14. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

This.
    Then knife sharpening and fire making. If you can do these three things, then a small bag of goodies and a forest are all you need to rebuild human civilization should it collapse around you. The human race was born the moment some troglodyte first sat down by his fire and tied a piece of napped flint to a stick. Without this fundamental skill set, we are nothing.

GrayMouser and Fenris like this.
  15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

For my normal everyday urban life, outside of housework, jobs, and taking care of pets, my most used skills are...

Basic urban navigation. I'm in a rental that doesn't have the compass I'm used to and apparently can't remember which way anything is now. But yeah. It helps.

Predicting what people are going to do in traffic. You'd be amazed how blatantly people telegraph when they're going to swerve to hit an exit or open their car door into traffic or any of the other stupid things they do as long as you look for it.

Knife handling. I seem to use a knife at least once a day (not counting the kitchen). Not cutting myself with my stupid sharp blades is cool.

As for things I don't use but am glad I know...very basic trauma care, fighting with my hands, basic fighting with a pistol, and, umm...emergency driving. We'll call it that.

Bystander effect. "Someone will take care of it, surely."

Yeah...YOU! And, don't call me Shirley.

Seriously, nothing will happen until someone takes charge and deligates. To a large degree, it doesn't matter so much if your decisions are right as long as you don't do anything too foolish.

I'll prioritize these over a lot of others when traveling. I can say "hi. Do you speak English?" in 7 or 8 languages, and it's amazing how often people answer yes. It doesn't take much to show respect and need. And sometimes, just muddling through works. But if I could do anything different in my life, learning several languages would be towards the top of the list.
    That's a lot of big words. So...I'll agree with my esteemed colleague. Except that I like 9 over the slow 45.

balexander87, 0dBm and MTFatboy like this.
  16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Knowing your gear, its capabilities, its limits, and those of yourself are, IMHO, some of the most important things to know. It doesn't matter how much stuff you carry if you still don't know how to use it in the real world. A Leatherman can't help you if you don't know how to use the tools it provides to complete the task you need it to do.

Also, developing a sixth sense for strange/worrisome situations and keeping your head on a swivel, along with training oneself to be observant is incredibly useful. I find that the best way to diffuse a situation is to not get yourself into the situation to begin with, and while it's not always possible to predict what people are going to do, it is possible to notice a strange behavioral trait or an abnormal sagging of clothing, bulge, stiff or artificially relaxed gait, etc. Plus looking for these things becomes a fun pastime :) it's almost like reading Sherlock Holmes stories in modern day through your own point of view.

balexander87 likes this.