1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Rotation

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Jby2206, Nov 29, 2014.

?

Do you have an EDC rotation?

1. Yes.

48.4%
  2. No.

51.6%
  3. I didn't know people did that.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about EDC Rotation for awhile, so I decided to make this thread.

EDC rotation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that basically mean changing out your knives, MTs, and lights every now and then?
    I can see why some people do it. They have lots of knives, lights, MTs, and they want to carry them all!
    That's fine and dandy, but when you grab your knife it's different. It might be smaller, the lock could be different, the scales could have less traction, you get the idea.

Here's an example: Your carry gun is a Glock. You've trained with it, and you know it like the back of your hand. Now lets say you switch to a Sig, cold turkey (Happy Thanksgiving!)
    You would never do that before training with it. Never. Why? Because those two guns are very different. If you have to draw a gun in self defense you want to know exactly how to use it. Everything has to be familiar.

The same goes for EDC, IMO. When I use any of my tools I want to be familiar with it.
    I have never had an EDC rotation, and don't plan on it. I have no problem with people having an EDC rotation. It's their choice.

So, here's my question. Do you have an EDC rotation? Why? Have you ever had a problem with being "surprised" by what was in your pocket?

ManVsLawn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't rotate much anymore unless I am trying new items. If I am changing things up and it doesn't involve testing a new item, then it is usually situational.

Example: I carry a larger light in winter months, but tend to downsize when the days are longer.

ManVsLawn, Cobra 6 Actual and Jby2206 like this.
  3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

While I have options, i almost never ever change it up. if I do, it is a very, very similar platform. Like going from an Endura to a Delica. The slightest difference will throw me off.

For example, I've been carrying an UTG bag instead of one of my Jumbos. No problems. I have a MOBIUS, that I want to love because the Vanquest guys have been relatively good to the forum, but the pocket layout is just different enough that it makes my unhappy.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I recently bought a bunch of Ti items to replace old things I had. Besides upgrading, when I have an EDC set, that is my EDC. All or nothing. No minimalist version, no exceptions. I don't ever want to be in the position where I have so many knives and gadgets that I could carry something different from each category every day. I don't know how some of you do it! The only thing I do remotely similar is that I have 5 knives for different purposes:

Sypderco Dog Tag S30v: 100% of the time
    Spyderco Zulu G10 S30v: 99% EDC knife
    ZT 0350 G10 S30v: 0.9% Camping and Scouting Knife
    Kershaw G10 S30v Leek: 0.09% Dress Knife
    Esee 4 1095: 0.01% Bushcraft when not with Scouts

Except for those extremes, it's the same carry.

Dedrich, ManVsLawn and Jby2206 like this.
  5. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I thought on it a bit more and realized that I rotate my watch. It's still situational and dependent on fashion to some degree.

1: G-Shock Mudman 9300-1 is my beater watch.
    2: Maratac Large Pilot is more for formal situations. Dress watch.
    3: Lum-Tec Super Combat B2 is new but is currently my everyday watch. It's too expensive to beat on, but too casual for a wedding.

(Collecting x Hoarding + Photography Skill) + Flikr + Photobucket x Instagram^2 = Heavy EDC Rotation

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I usually choose what tools will be best for the job on a given day. Nine times out of ten it's the same gear but there is the one in ten that items are different.

Some examples:
    --Pistol: Cold Weather =XD9 | Warm Weather = Makarov | Woods Carry = Tokarev
    --Knife: Work = CRKT M21 and SOG PowerLock | Non-Work = Vic "Soldier" | Woods Carry = USAF Survival Knife and SOG PowerLock
    --Watch: Dry Land = Fossil Aviator or Casio Aviator | Water = Vostok Amphibia

It can vary a lot but those are just a few off the top of my head.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. CardsNation

CardsNation Loaded Pockets

All I rotate are my knives. I just like em. I'm never really surprised by what I pull out of my pocket because I make a conscious decision about what knife I want to carry that day.

Justinicus and (deleted member) like this.
  8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Your question is too specific for me to be able to answer.

I have a set of gear that I always carry, which I have settled on after some experimentation. I will occasionally change up what pocket knife I am carrying, though I tend to carry the same one for weeks or months at a time. If I have a specific task in mind I will carry whatever is most appropriate for that task.

So some things don't change, some things do, but those that do aren't on a "rotation" per se, which implies that I have numbered them and cycle through them, on some fixed schedule.

ManVsLawn and Jby2206 like this.
  9. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes, I have a 'rotation', but it is not like I carry specific knives or lights on Monday vs. Wednesday.

I have a "work" set up that I rarely change. I also have a "off work core"/minimalist-type EDC that rarely changes, but as for my grabbing a bigger knife, or loading up another pry bar, I do so whenever the mood strikes.

Variety is the spice of life. I have a small selection of knives that I know, and genuinely enjoy, and that's the main item that rotates.Occasionally I won't carry a pry bar or will add another one on top of my couple I carry... but my torch, keys, wallet, phone all usually stays the same, just because it works for 99% of my regular life

I'll try new/new to me items from now and again, but I've settled on a basic set of things I carry. I've been considering selling a knife to get a Spydie Techno. I doubt that baby would leave my pocket, ever. Lol..... Techno-fever has been eating at my brain for months....8)

Dedrich, alex fekete and Jby2206 like this.
  10. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have posted recently that I am in a groove, or in a rut... It depends where you stand. I think I have found my perfect edc setup. Until a better AAA flashlight comes along, or a full sized Alox with scissors and a clip, or a wharnie blade in a D-Fly, I have found perfection in my EDC!!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I'm kind of the same. I'm slowly perfecting my EDC. Most of it is perfect (for now.)
    I know what to get, I just need to find the money. :D

AnthonySC and ManVsLawn like this.
  12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't really have a rotation, but I do swap similar items in and out depending on the situation. For example, I use a different flashlight with a different mode order depending on whether or not I'll be out at night. I carry different knives depending on the tasks I plan on encountering. But, I don't really have enough edc things in each category to want to rotate them.

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I can certainly see why you may construe "change" with "rotation." The analogy is "redundancy" and "duality." They are not the same concept.

Duality involves having two of the same item and used simultaneously. Redundancy is having two similar items that can function effectively for the same required application. They can be the same item but not, necessary, used at the same time.

Change is permanent and is not reversible or undone. Rotation is interchangeable usage. The item can be used, in lieu of and temporarily, something else of the same or different category.

My rotation is highly dependent on risk AND criticality. At the VERY top of this echelon AND on one extreme is my handgun. WHEN the criticality is paramount and the risk is heightened, only my 5-inch 1911 is on me. When the risk and criticality is less heightened, that 1911 is still on me (see where I'm going with this!). At the other end of this rotation continuum is a handkerchief. To me, this small section of cotton fabric is about the most innocuous of my daily carry; however, like my 1911, does not vary at all since there is no need.

In between is the remainder of my EDC items. These items, by far, have the greatest rotational variability in many aspects.

14. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I don't regularly rotate items...the only time I would is trying new items. If I feel that item is adequate or surpasses another item, I will replace it, and the vicious cycle is born. I feel I do more adding that rotating. A few months ago I did not have a Mini Grip or a Leatherman Wave, now they have become regulars on my EDC team.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

Double Post o_o

Bowman1911, T.H.Cone and ManVsLawn like this.
  16. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

I rotate. Nothing specific. Some times it's situational. Sometimes its because I've picked up a new toy, or rediscover an old one. Lately I've been changing my knife carry up because of the forum. Like I'll be carrying the vantage, and see all the pretty pics of dragonflys, and have to carry mine, or vise versa.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

1. I do not rotate or alternate my firearm, and have strong feelings about that. It is a life saving tool, not a purse. Same firearm, same location, each and every day, without fail, no exceptions.

2. In theory, I don't object to rotating any other items. In practice, folding knives are all I ever really rotate. I've found a selection of items that works great for me, so I stick with it. Unlike a firearm, however, reaching for a flashlight or folder and finding a lock or switch that isn't intimately familiar doesn't run the risk of getting me killed. Those aren't items whose use demands RIGHT NOW familiarity. When I access them, I have a moment to process the variance.

Again, though... The reality is that I carry the same stuff every day.

18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Knives: after a few years of trying different things, i learned I like big framelocks the best, so i choose between my two biggest framelocks.
    Wallet: same one every day. it works very well for me. Portsmith Company CNCH. the elastic is starting to go on it, but I emailed the maker to ask about buying new ones and he sent some replacements for free! the only way I'd switch is if the maker does a titanium model.
    Pen: i was choosing between a tibolt and prometheus alpha, then I lost the tibolt (still crying over it a bit), so now i am on just the alpha. ordered another tibolt already tho.
    Light: no changing it up. titanium Eagletac d25a, every day. I've seen other flashlights on the forum and elsehwere that briefly piqued my interest, but they were either not titanium or not AA powered, so i passed them by.
    handkerchief: I have a couple identical slinghammers, one on the pocket and one in my bag. i typically reach for whichever one is cleaner/dryer,

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I answered yes. Only because I do switch out my carry gun depending on clothing & where I'll be going that day. Everything else I carry, I'm pretty much satisfied with at the moment. Since February, I've pretty much upgraded everything else I carry, & at the moment, I'm content. Sure, I could always use some more bling, as I'm only in the want for a few nice beads & another tritium lantern or two, but call it a rut, content, groove, or just done. My edc is pretty much set. But, I will add an extra knife, trinket, bauble, etc, to my current carry every once in a while. I've got about a 100 pocket knives just sitting in the safe. I'm sure they like getting carried every once in a while...

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That's it for me as well. I do not own two tools of any type that work equally well for the same task, so a real rotation is out of the question. The only item that is swapped out often, is my knife. Nine out of ten days, I carry only my tried and trusted Pioneer, but every now and then, it is swapped out for something even smaller (Bantam or Style CS), or something bigger (Buck 110, Brusletto Storbukken). On some occasions, I might even carry two knives ... or none at all,even though that makes me feel a bit strange.

Bowman1911, ManVsLawn and Sharaz_Jek like this.