1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Redundancy?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Parker77, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Parker77

Parker77 Empty Pockets

In looking at my own EDC I realize that I have quite a bit of duplication. Here is what I mean:
    In my back pocket I usually carry my wallet and my small Sebenza in a pocket pouch vertical. Now in reality that’s all the knife I need but I will almost always carry a second folder clipped to my right front pocket. I also frequently find myself putting an Alox cadet in my watch pocket. As if that’s not enough, I also usually carry a second, larger, SAK in my left pocket, which I consider a light duty multi-tool. The only honest answer is I have a rather large collection of folders, I love them, and I enjoy carrying and using them. Does anyone else find themselves carrying multiplies of any one type of tool simply because you enjoy them?

2. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

I do. I carry a swisstool and a leatherman wave at times.

3. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I go with the motto 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Nothing wrong with has backups.

SENT FROM MY HTC EVO USING TAPATALK

4. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I do. My EDC bag is intended to be a self-contained grab-and-go EDC setup, just in case I'm in a hurry or I forget something. However, that means it duplicates everything I carry on-body. It has a Vic Cadet, even though I carry another Cadet in the watch pocket of my jeans. The Cadet could easily handle all of my day-to-day cutting tasks, but I still carry a larger locking folder, or two, on me when I have the pocket space for it. My bag also has a larger flashlight and larger multitool than the ones I carry on my body, it also has 2 lighters and a book of matches, despite having a split pea lighter on my keychain. My pocket organizer, which has been riding in the cargo pocket of my work pants since I got it, has a larger prybar than the Pico Widgy on my keychain. I guess I also subscribe to the "Two is one, one is none" philosophy for my EDC. And I like gadgets, so I look for ways to add them to my EDC, whether I really need them or not and even if I already have something just like it.

5. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

sometimes it is rude awakening just to count all the sharp blades one carries.. then count the can openers in them tools. and then screwdrivers.. or in my case, flashlights too. (something like 3 lights and maybe a spare battery too.. so on lowest mode i would have about 30 days of light 24/7)

everytime i go thru my things i end up dropping some out.. because, honestly, i cant remember last time i had opened an can outside of my home (that didnt have a pull tab or some sorts) and i know i can open a can with any hard object (knife or screwdriver etc) if needed. so carrying an sak, multitool, another smaller multitool and p38 opener makes little sense.

nor does carrying a multitool with two knife blades AND a pocket knife and a sak with 2 knives.. one or two blades is enough for all tasks. (one needed other is backup or for other tasks)

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't. The closest might be my keychain light and the E01 in my pocket, anything else is a one of. Any particular reason why you feel the need to carry multiples?

7. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

minimalist carry is the way to go.

8. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

the only multiple i have is i have a knife on my LM squirt and then my main blade. im even thinking about ditching the MT because all i ever really use on it is the screwdriver and the scissors.

9. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic cadet or waiter in my pocket and a E05 on my keychain. In my bag I carry a Vic Explorer and a 4Sevens Quark AA.

10. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I found scredrivers to be redundant in my EDC... Though I like screwdrivers (I'm Gojkan, and I'm a screwdriver addict LOL)....

I carry LM Skeletool screwdriver bits, LM C33T with two screwdrivers, County Comm key screwdrivers and VIC Manager (small philips and small flat on nail file)...

But... As someone mentioted 2 is 1, 1 is none.... The thing that first let you down is one that you don't have replacement for!

11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a champ and an executive, but switched to just the mini champ recently. The big champ was like carry a brick.

12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

If your gear is too bulky or heavy and it bugs you enough to want to cut it down, then examine each piece and its intended purpose, and you could reduce your carry. If there's no problem, then there's no problem, and carry what you like.
    I carry just the right amount of redundancy.

13. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

My problem with the "2 is 1, 1 is none" philosophy is that it's endless. Why not carry 15 pocket knives because, afterall, 15 is 14, 14 is 13...etc. I know there is a chance these things will fail/break whatever. But if you buy high quality stuff, the odds are pretty good that they won't. I know, I get that the odds are even better if you have 2 high quality things. But I'm just not persuaded by that argument. To me, it isn't worth sacrificing comfort for.

14. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I always have a leatherman wave on my belt and used to carry a SAK Spartan on my keys, then changed to a Gerber shortcut. I've just gone back to the Spartan because of the corkscrew of all things hehehe, but miss the scissors of the shortcut. Now the shortcut is in my EDC bag but I'm thinking the Spartan is a bit heavy and unwieldy on my keys and..... oh hell I don't know

15. Parker77

Parker77 Empty Pockets

I think we can all agree that our personal experiences and philosophy dictate our carry methods. To some degree comfort trumps preparedness. To me it’s as simple as I like having an extra knife or two. There’s no logical reason, I don’t use them for work or anything, I just like them.
    Are there any psychologists out there who can explain why we love all this gear in the first place, DON’T cure me, just explain why?

16. Ironman5517

Ironman5517 Loaded Pockets

They are all toys. we love our toys.

most multi tools will never have everything you want cause they are designed that way. wish the wenger evo16 had pliers. would be perfect tool for me.

17. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

I agree, comfort trumps all else. It's all a matter of preference in what we see as critical items. I myself carry two knives on my person and another in my bag. I also carry three different fire starters, just in case one doesn't work out, and a back up flash light in my bag.

18. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

Guilty as charged!

I have an assortment of carry levels, mostly with the same types of items in each set, but varying in size and usefulness. Depending on how I'm dressed, going to work or not, how quickly I left, expected needs, etc. I can have from 1-5 sets on me:

1 - In wallet: Smallest items, sometimes marginal usability, but there when needed, rarely used
    2 - On keychain: Slightly larger items, pretty usable, usually with me whenever I go away from home, used occassionally
    3 - On necklace: About the same sizes as keychain items, all Ti for weight, worn full time when awake, frequently used
    4 - Belt holstered: Medium sized, fairly useful but non-threatening to most people, most used out in town
    5a - On suspenders at work: Pock-its holsters filled with most used work tools, heavy but very useful, used daily
    5b - In pockets in civies: Larger lights and pocket knives for heavy jobs if practical, seldom used

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

+1; me,too.

20. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Redundancy, eh? I carry my new Victorinox Spartan on my keys but can't let go of the Sportsman because it has a nail file and if I'm somewhere else for a longer period of time, besides a nail clipper I need a nail file too. (Would be ideal to find a model that has like the Spartan a small blade and a large blade, the nail file from the Sportsman and a pair of scissors like the Fisherman).On the other hand I carry from time to time a linerlock folder too for self-defense (you never know).
    And that's only part of it.Carrying 2 SAKs (for now) means I have two bottle openers but I prefer another one, dedicated to this sole purpose, since it's easier to open a bottle and takes less force (some may remember I was complaining about the bottle opener on the Victorinox and bragged about getting a dedicated one here : http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/40727-What-is-the-last-EDC-gadget-that-you-bought-Pics-encouraged./page444 ) I was finally able to open a bottle with the opener on the Victorinox first try after changing my technique a bit and putting more leverage.So carrying three openers plus the nail clipper that has a cutout which also functions as a bottle opener (I should be an alcoholic, right ? :p )
    And last but not least...2 keychain flashlights.