1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC question for Israel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Moshe ben David, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Thinking some more about the security restrictions of knives in Israel. I absolutely can understand the Israeli security concerns, especially in high profile gathering places (e.g., the Kotel aka the 'Western Wall'). Yet I can recall when we had a number of members here on edcf who are Israeli; who absolutely carried knives as many of us do. One guy (wish I could recall his 'name'!) used to emphasize his edc of a Spyderco Techno...

Would I be correct that just as here (even in paranoid places like NYC or Chicago ! ) for daily walking about in Israel, many do carry a knife as long as they're just going about innocent daily business and not drawing attention, except at these high profile venues? Just wondering....

Any of my Israeli brothers still hang out on here???

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Do not carry a knife on your trip to Israel. Any size blade. If it’s found by police you may be charged. You may get away with a leatherman. For self defense, I recommend buying in a store such as Rikoshet, pepper spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Moshe ben David

Todah Rabah!

Moshe ben David

4. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Just to follow up on this. The law in Israel defines a knife as any instrument that can cut or stab (of any length). So that includes scissors and even a corkscrew. The law states that carrying a knife outside the house can be punished by up to 5 years jail and the onus is on the suspect to show good cause for carrying the knife. Self defense is not good cause.

Sections 184, 186 of Israel Penal code.

5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I can't give advice regarding Israel. It's one of the countries I haven't been to yet, all though its been close at times.
    It's just sad to see how restrictive governments are becoming, even though this is often not the will of the people.

6. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

No point...

Last edited by Rebel, Jun 3, 2019
    #26 Rebel, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  7. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

It's odd to think that it's normal to see 18 year old girls wearing sandals and no socks carrying M16A1s (ok, probably without a clip) but knife carry is an issue. And the answer is very complicated and stupid. But it is what it is. So most of the time, I am not there.

8. Moshe ben David

@Rebel: Much of what you said in your longer post about Israel above I agree with and found quite useful. With one major exception. The Israelis I know know full well that it is a country of immigrants. Most, regardless of being secular or religious fully see this as a modern day miracle and an in-gathering of our people's exiles. The reaction to non-Hebrew speakers is not so much suspicion as a degree of discomfort for those who have less than stellar English ...

I also question why you put quote marks around the name of the country... are you doubting or questioning the legitimacy of the State?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

In my view your Zionist propaganda is off topic for this forum and my decisive rebuttal to it would be also. So don't think I don't have an answer for you, it's just that I'm not interested in getting into it. Welcome to my ignore list :)

Last edited by Rebel, Jun 4, 2019
    #29 Rebel, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  10. Moshe ben David

My pleasure. And not that you give a :censored:, but that so-called 'propaganda' is called the Torah...!

Moshe ben David

OngoingFreedom and BklynBoy like this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Zionist Propoganda?

Why do I always miss the Good Stuff?!

12. Moshe ben David

See PM...

Moshe

13. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

These two replies are mostly wrong. As mentioned before in this thread, up to 10cm blade and no lock is allowed. So a Leatherman is illegal unless you have a valid reason (mostly - a profession).

Usually, if you are not a young dark man, you won't be searched.

If you make aliya and live in the west bank you will maybe be able to carry a rifle or apply for a handgun.

14. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that mostly anti-Israel rant. I didn’t talk about the law. If you’re camping or hiking and you have a leatherman you probably won’t be charged. If you take any sharps to school or a nightclub you definitely will be arrested. Doesn’t matter how “dark” you are! On the second point. I have a pistol license and don’t live in the West Bank.

15. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

I had no problems carrying and using my leatherman charge in Israel.

16. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’m not sure that proves anything.
    I’ve been carrying and using a multi tool and / or knife without problems for much of my adult life. The legality of this, however, is very questionable here in Norway.

17. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

It was only meant as experiential evidence. No legality was implied or inferred.

Moshe ben David likes this.