1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC question for Israel

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Moshe ben David, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Shalom all y'all!

I'm hoping within the coming year to take my very first trip to Israel; if all works out I hope to eventually make aliyah.

Whether as a tourist or even better through living in Israel, I'm looking for personal feed back on edc of pocket knife(s) in Israel. Especially in light of security issues of course!

Legal limitations?

What 'can' be carried in a practical sense?

I include the same questions regarding multitools that have blades of course!

Todah Rabah!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adam Ng and OngoingFreedom like this.
  2. Ig

Ig Loaded Pockets

Shalom Moshe.
    In general legal limitation are following: you can carry non locking folding knife with less when 10sm. blade. Except some public places like school and so.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Todah Rabah!

Shavua Tov

Moshe ben David

4. OngoingFreedom

OngoingFreedom Empty Pockets

10 statute miles?!? Now THAT’s a KNIFE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egp likes this.
  5. cyberhh

cyberhh Loaded Pockets

It that I’m any help on the edc front but in all the places I’ve been, IS is my favorite.

If you are planning on Going to the holy city, hire a guide. It makes a big difference.

I had a private guide for the day. He was an encyclopedia of the city and country. He was able to answer nearly any question I could think of and his love for the people made it all so personal. He also knew every person in the city and all the best places. He was able to get us into almost anywhere. Pointed out all the best places, what the customs were and was able to plan a route that did everything I wanted. I will remember it forever.

Also - go on a Monday or Thursday. Those were the Roman market days and they are the days that prayer was allowed, so you will see a lot more on those days.

6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Moshe, I thought I was the last Jew who hadn't made it to Israel yet. I am planning on going sometime next year.
    Enjoy your trip

7. Moshe ben David

LOL. I think I'll be the last one. Still nothing definite... are you going by yourself or in a group?

L'chaim and Chag Chanukah Sameach!

Moshe ben David

8. Moshe ben David

Thanks for the suggestions. When I finally make the trip I think I have contacts covered. I actually have a cousin who lives in Jerusalem!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. ori14

ori14 Empty Pockets

Israeli here!
    Hi! I read here a lot but I never registered, but I really like edcf, y'all have been very helpful! (and cost me too much money!)

I would like to add that although non locking and shorter than 10cm are permitted, you won't be allowed into some places if your knife is found. Israel is full of security guards. Some will let enter without even checking while some may make you snap a blade on a lm ps4 (or get rid of it, true story...)

As for police, it's generally up to the officer and not the law. Some go by the width of 4 fingers to determine max blade length.
    Slip joints may considered locking blades and you may be taken into interrogation for carrying a vic pioneer and of course have it confiscated (again, true story).

I swear that in no way I look either troublesome or intimidating. Just really, really, really lucky...

So nowadays in my car I just keep a sidekick with no blades and for work a cybertool29 and a spyderco pingo if needed. I leave my blades at work. Even when I go out to lunch.

BUT, YMMV

HAG HANUKAH SAMEACH! I hope you guys pronounce this with a proper "het" "ח"

Adiós

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

10. Moshe ben David

Sorry but not surprised at what you say about blades. Except for some officers considering a slip joint to be a locking blade. Unreal! Guess when I finally make the trip I'll have to make sure to only carry minuscule SAK types -- meaning much smaller than a Pioneer! Blech!

CHAG CHANUKAH SAMEACH! (fyi -- as a kid, what little Hebrew education I got leading up to Bar Mitzvah was from teachers who were here in the US but were sabras. So I learned sephardi pronunciation. Confused the heck out of my abba! :) )

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I am planning to go with a friend. My Sister suggested I book with Isram Tours. Her travel agent recommended them

12. Moshe ben David

Thanks. I just looked at their on line brochure. Slick. And prices that support the slickness! Man, Israel is just an expensive place to visit!

Sigh.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

A good friend of mine went to Israel for treatment for his Parkinson’s (a treatment type unavailable in these United States) and was very impressed with the people, the cusine, and level of “genuine goodness” he encountered by everyone he encountered both medically and in the public spaces, while there.

Israel is on my bucket-list as well.

14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

LOL

I thought Moshe was FROM Israel.

Pack your wits, your head swivel, fast feet and lightning reflexes, download your Krav Maga programming, and take a trauma-focuse IFAK and a good flashlight along with a whistle.

Travel medical insurance and hamas repellent are advised.

I had lunch a couple of years ago with an army intelligence major (or equivalent) who enlightened our little leadership group on Israeli geopolitics and threats.

15. Ig

Ig Loaded Pockets

Actually even I can't say that everyone in our police have high IQ, the horror story above, I would say, a little exaggerated. I don't know any story about problems with non locking SAKs and similar knives.

16. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I never travel anywhere outside the US with a knife other than a SAK or Opinal with corkscrew. They never raise alarm with security and I am always prepared for a picnic with wine :)