1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Pocket Organizer Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by iamsalomon, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth

Gareth Loaded Pockets

A more up to date picture of my organiser;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

This is the fifth year I've selected a relative to receive Christmas gift of an EDC kit customized specifically for them, based mostly on work environment, lifestyle and recreational activities. Limited to those I'm confident will use. Know each well enough to initially assemble credible kit, but they're encouraged to modify as they see fit.

Based on the individual, they've been small (Altoids-size) to slightly larger; some strictly urban, others more outdoors-oriented. This year's the most ambitious -- uses Maxped EDC Pocket Organizer -- and the largest/heaviest. Not a carry-on-your-person-all-the-time kit (but can easily be carried); perhaps more a keep-in-vehicle-or-desk kit or PSK.

Greatest challenge: arranging contents. Two reasons whistle, flashlight and ResQMe are on carabiner: wouldn't fit inside and wanted to be immediately accessible. Likewise, outside mesh pouch used to house bulkier items. Bandana and some interior items are vacuum-sealed in pouches to reduce bulk.

Recipient will be 32-year-old nephew living in Wisconsin. Employed for national cable company; works both in the office and in the field, often in rural -- if not remote -- areas. Avid hiker, fisherman, ATVer and occasional hunter.

[Click thumbnail to view larger photo]

Kit Exterior:
    [​IMG]

Exterior Contents:
    [​IMG]

Interior:
    [​IMG]

Interior Left:
    [​IMG]

Interior Right:
    [​IMG]

All contents:
    [​IMG]

1 - Fox 40 Micro whistle
    2 - ResQMe Rescue Tool
    3 - ITP A3 EOS LED flashlight, 1xAAA, 3-mode w/Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA battery
    4 - Aqua-Pouch Water Bag, sealable, 1-quart mark for use w/Micropur MP1 water purification tablets
    5 - Heatsheets Emergency Blanket
    6 - Rite in the Rain All-Weather Notebook 371-M
    7 - 550 paracord, 7-strand x 15-ft
    8 - Bandana, cotton
    9 - Hammaro Lighting Paper Tinder Cards (stored back of organizer beneath attachment webbing)
    10-Spare Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA battery
    11-Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper Tweezers
    12-Ranger FireSteel ferro rod w/hacksaw blade scraper
    13-Mini pencil, 3-1/4" x 1/8"
    14-Zebra F-301 compact ballpoint pen
    15-Dacron fishing line, braided, 150-lb test, 25-ft
    16-Mini prybar
    17-SAK Farmer knife
    18-Chicken bullion x 2
    19-Hard candy x 2
    20-MicroPur MP1 water purification tablets x 4
    21-First aid items: (2) 3" x 4" triple layer non-stick pads; (2) 1-3/4" x 4" fabric bandage; (2) 1/2" x 3" fabric bandage; (2) 2" x 2" sterile pads
    22-Ibuprofen capsules x 4
    23-Imodium AD capsules x 4
    24-Rescue Flash signal mirror, 2" x 3"
    25-Ben's Tick & Insect Repellent Wipe x 1
    26-Neosporin packet x 1
    27-Tinder-Quik Tinder Tabs x 4
    28-Gorilla-brand duct tape x 36-in
    29-Bic Mini-lighter w/rubber inner-tube sheath; cable tie "safety lock"
    30-Brunton liquid-filled compass
    31-Sewing kit w/large needles x 2; thread;550 paracord inner-strand; needle threader; safety pins x 4
    32-Cable ties (8-in) x 4
    33-Swiss-Tech Screwz-All 4-In-1; #1 & #2 flat screwdrivers; #1 & #2 Phillips screwdrivers
    34-Stainless steel wire x 36"
    35-Liquid Skin Bandage; two-use pipette x 1
    36-Wet-Dry Sandpaper; 3" x 4"; (1) 600 grit; (1) 800 grit (improvised knife sharpening)
    37-Aluminum Foil Cooking Bag, Heavy Duty; (rolled to avoid creases) 4-in (doubled) x 12-in; inside the roll: aluminum foil high-temperature tape, 1-1/2" x 3" (for repairs)

Cornholio2188 and Land like this.
  3. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

How do you like the Fallkniven DC4? I've seen the leather case being used for stropping. So diamond/ceramic/strop in one small package for on the road sharpening. How is the size? Large enough? I'm thinking of getting the smaller DC3.

4. Gareth

Gareth Loaded Pockets

Personally I'm very happy with the DC4, as you say it's got all you need to take care of your 'on the road' sharpening. I thought about the smaller DC3 when buying this but TBH I'm glad I didn't, any smaller than the DC4 I think would be just too fiddly. YMMV though.

5. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

Xbanker, I'll refrain from asking if you want a new relative and instead say what a LUCKY nephew you have. Wow!

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

+1 Great gift :)

7. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

Wish I was family! Great gift indeed!

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Well one thing's for sure ... after the first year doing this, they quit calling me "Crazy Uncle Dan" (because of the 'stuff' on my keychain and other related toys, kits etc). Now they all suck-up big time. ;D

If it's not apparent, I do only one a year to keep cost semi-reasonable and to turn out a kit of reasonable quality. During the year, always trolling for bargains (picked up couple of those ITP flashlights for 1/2 price recently), or I'll buy more than one widget when buying for myself to save on shipping.

I get as much enjoyment doing it as they get receiving.

9. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

This is a great idea. I am making a tiny emergency tin for a family member this year. But nothing as grand as what you've got going. I will have to remember this for next year. Nice work.

10. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Very impressive and comprehensive kit! I have a question though. Is this to boil water in an emergency? Since you carry repair tape for it does that mean you've actually tested it before yourself and found it sprang leaks? Or did you read about it elsewhere?

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

This is just perfect !

BE WELL .. GH

12. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Man that's LOTS OF STUFF!

13. sardauker

sardauker Loaded Pockets

wow. Just wow.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Wow! You quoted all that for a 5-word response??

SAKplumber likes this.
  15. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

[Moderators: if I'm going too far afield, and you deem better placed elsewhere, please move. Thank you.]

Good question. Yes, is back-up to the MP1 tablets.

Acceptable 'portable water pot' continuing challenge for small kits. Reason I rolled: to avoid tears caused by sharp creases/folds. Cut from more-durable-than-sheet-foil cooking bag (having trouble finding more; this one already on hand). Two sides are 'factory sealed/laminated,' leaving one end to seal in the field (best done by rolling vs. folding).

Tested with success on campstove w/high flame. Acknowledge not comparable to real world campfire, but no opportunity yet. Hi-temp AL foil tape for field repair. Per 3M: Adhesive will gradually thermoset at high temperatures [and] the adhesive mass becomes firm and gradually loses its pressure sensitivity but will continue to hold the tape in place. Intend to increase amount in future kits.

Here's result; contains a useful 14 oz. of water. Note gradual transition from bottom to sides -- and rolled left-end -- to avoid crisp folds.

[​IMG]

You might be interested -- next iteration will test recently discovered titanium foil here. Excited about potential. Queried owner about toughness; his reply: The Ti foil is much thicker than Al foil. It will not tear. Repeated folding will cause it to work harden and break. You want to roll up the Ti foil. You will have trouble poking a hole in the Ti foil with a nail. I'm thinking this will take small-kit improvised water/cooking containers to the next level.

16. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

having a generous nature, such as i do, i would like to volunteer to be the recipient for next years edc pocket organizer.

:tickedoff: please! please! you don't have to thank me. that's just the kind of guy i am ~ always thinking of someone else. ;D

how i wish that i could be the recipient of such a kewl gift! simply awesome! i'm sure he'll love it! what a lucky guy ~ and how generous and thoughtful on your part.

merry xmas!

17. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Yes, thanks for the details. Hmm, "$15 for a 11.75 "x 12" piece". $15 !? *heart attack, falls down* I personally would need to see a video of it in action being all tough and "nail won't puncture me"-like or read some testimony from a disinterested party (that uses it in this way) who doesn't sell the stuff to be convinced, but good luck though.

P.S. I carry a very , very, carefully and gently folded mini loaf pan in my kit. [length sides folded inward only]. I like your aluminum tape idea but I'd fear the non-smooth surface once crinkled would still leak if repaired. I do also carry an oven roaster bag as an emergency canteen and since it can take boiling water I figure I could put that in the mini loaf pan if it sprang a leak. [Warning: long term plastic exposure to heat may release BPA or other nasties but this is an emergency use situation scenario]

18. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You folks are hilarious with all these offers to be 'adopted.' Next you'd want an invite to Christmas Dinner! ;D Don't overlook chance to snag some EDC goodies by being forum supporter; see thread here.

For those interested, ordered the Ti foil to see how performs (FYI, they offer 10% discount to active- and ex-military; hey, it's $1.50 I can spend elsewhere). Keep an eye in Gear Reviews next week or so; I'll post my impressions along with photos.

19. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Double post.

20. cgbaca

cgbaca Loaded Pockets

thanks to all who have shared there kits here you have given me a ton of ideas to work with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.