1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Pocket Organizer Pics, Part 1

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by iamsalomon, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I'm trying out a "grab and go" EDC system. I only need to grab 5 things to have a pretty good EDC system-my wallet, phone, gun, primary knife, and this organizer. The organizer contains:
    Spare mag
    Fenix PD20
    Bladetech Ganyana Lite
    Countycomm light
    Gerber Mini multitool
    Pill container with ibuprophen, sudafed, benadryl, zyrtec, and aspirin.
    Handy wipe
    Nitrile gloves
    A couple of bandages/antibiotic ointment
    Pen

I took out 2 stitches in the pen slot area to allow for carrying the spare mag and the flashlight.

2. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

After messing with this EDC for a month, it's finally working well for me... Maxped micro, phone in Timbuk2 pocket, and Spyderco Dialex Jr ... fits into two back pockets, or one back pocket and on belt, with knife in right front pocket. Splitting up the load works for me.

[​IMG]

Inside the Maxped, left to right:

- Card organizer (Target) with cards and some flat items including: survival notes, fresnel lens, wipe, duct tape, band aid, safety pin, floss, micro USB drive.
    - Squirt PS4
    - Telescoping Zebra Pen with Fischer Pressurized Refill
    – Suunto Mini Compass
    - 4Sevens Preon in Hi CRI Tint
    - Slim Clip for few most used cards, cash, and note paper
    - Pill Case stuffed with various meds
    - Straw tube of 3 matches and tinder
    - Cut-down keys with McGizmo clip and Ti Atwood Gasbaby

If a quick daytime trip into a store, the whole Maxped may not make it in, but the Slim Clip makes a nice compact "wallet" on its own.

odg and Sinus like this.
  3. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Looks good Bolster!

I usually wear cargo pants, so pocket organizers fit in my side pockets pretty well, but I've never tried the micro Maxped in a rear pocket though. Does that work well or is it awkward, at least when sitting? You mention "it might not be used for a quick daytrip to the store" so I sense some reluctance to carry it. [I know the feeling]

I have a Micro but haven't thought it through how I'll be using it. It might be sort of my light pack EDC. I was also thinking of carrying two pocket organizers: left cargo pants emergency survival kit, rarely used, and right cargo pants EDC items I actually use throughout the week. Different size packs might make sense. [Sorry to be thinking out loud :) ]

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Dang! I need something that will hold my full size Swiss Tool and a Led lenser V2. I guess I'll have to go with the Mini, then.

5. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

It's like carrying a large wallet with rigid items in it! It fits easily in a rear pocket but I never sit on it, I always take it out of the pocket and place it in front of me when sitting (same for the phone, don't want to sit on that either). The phone case is belt-mountable, wish the Micro was as well. (The Mini is.) The Micro will also work for front pocket carry, sometimes that's easiest. Obviously cargo pants is the ideal solution (I don't own any).

I went to the two-pocket carry idea after trying to fit everything into a single Mini organizer and not being able to carry it easily (without a bag). So that's why the EDC is broken down into three parts; they go into three pockets (or possibly one on the belt) which leaves one pocket free for keys, receipts, and what have you. During auto travel, everything but the knife rides in a shoulder bag by Timbuk2.

Using the Micro requires some serious discipline! It fills up fast and you have to find items that are just the right sizes and shapes. That pill fob was a lucky find (CVS pharmacy I think), it's longer than most and just fills the space horizontally. Having a telescoping pen helps a lot. Cutting down the heads of keys helped. I'd prefer to carry an AA light but the AAA fits better.

I had been using the plastic leaf-style card organizer for all my cards and that turned out to be a royal pain...every purchase in a store meant I had to fish out cash or a credit card, lots of work. Finally the Slim Clip arrived after 7 weeks of waiting (an ebay purchase), and the clip allows the most-used cards and cash to be easily accessible on the right, whereas the necessary-but-seldom-used cards still reside in the plastic leaf-style card organizer on the left.

The pack contents are so precisely sized and balanced that if anything's not in place, or I substitute something slightly larger, I have trouble zipping up. But if I maintain discipline, it zips up easily. Just like my pants!

6. ADK031

ADK031 Loaded Pockets

My very limited kit;

[​IMG]

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  7. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have been wrestling with the idea of buying a Maxped Micro to carry in my pocket. I'm just not sure how long I'd use it before I got sick of pulling the whole kit out to grab something. I use my knife and flashlight pretty regularly, and some days the screwdriver gets used a lot too. Right now I just drop my hand in the pocket and pull out what I need, would take some getting used to having to pull out and unzip an organizer to grab a light.

Not that I wouldn't though if the other benefits outweighed it.......

8. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Aha...I've been working on that problem, too.

Inside my Micro, these items all have clips: the pen, the flashlight, the money clip, the keys. And so does the knife, carried externally. So when I think any of these will be put to frequent use, I carry them externally. That means the keys and the money clip are often carried outside the organizer, clipped in pockets. And the knife is always carried clipped in a pocket, never in the organizer.

The organizer is sort of like a library shelf, a place to set items when not in use. When in use, just remove and clip where appropriate.

9. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I just had an idea. I assume most of us have wallets that dont have zipper closures, yet nobody complains about it, right? So why not use a Micro/Mini Maxped the same way, without zipping it shut, (at least everytime), also? It saves two steps out of four in the sequence: pocket removal, unzip, rezip, and then pocket re-insertion, plus it makes it almost one handed to use, not two. Think about it; it is nearly impossible to extract a pocket organizer and unzip it with just one hand, yet if kept unzipped, pulling it out of the pocket and flipping it open to examine one's pallet of tools using just one hand should be a snap, just like it is with a wallet! :)

If this proved to be a convenient way to use it, I'd probably remove the paracord pull tab entirely, since it just flops around and gets in the way, or in the interim a safety pin could secure it to the inner, center hinge area to keep it out of the way. Zippers still work even without pull tabs, so it's not like you cant zip things shut in a pinch. If you hardly use it though, a pull tab is just an extraneous nuisance.

10. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that works. Just tried it a dozen times. Once I remove my keys (which are perched along the top) nothing falls out or even comes close to falling out. No reason you have to zip, especially if you have things nicely clipped inside.

Remove the paracord and insert a small split ring so you've got something to grab when you want to.

I for one don't find zipping an issue. As long as the pack isn't bulging or badly packed, it's effortless, and I like the extra security it affords. I always used two hands with my old wallets, so it seems natural to use two hands with the organizer.

11. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Where did you get that patch...I gotta get me one of them :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

12. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Exactly why I stopped using one. That's when I started using the EDC philosophy of, "If it can't go in my pocket - just in my pocket - no organiser or anything, then I don't want to carry it." I use things like this, but it allows much quicker access than a maxped micro.

I started feeling stupid that when a light or blade was needed it was about 20 seconds until I'd got out my pouch, un-zipped, got the tool out, zipped back up and then put it back in my pocket. Then repeat to put it away.. Too much FANNYING ABOUT!

13. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

^ I'd agree w/ that sentiment, it is a great solution however for a small sized survival kit, larger first aid kit, small tool kit, etc

14. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Yeah same here, my maxpedition micro turned into an under the car seat tool kit for me next to my FAK and leather gloves. I think it's a great piece of gear, just in the right application - where speed of access is not an immediate issue.

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Haha! Thats great! I love that description. XD

16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I took my CC Pocket Organizer out after reading these posts, and emptied my coat pockets of all the stuff and put it all in the organizer. I like the organization of it all, and the ease of emptying my coat pocket at night. However, my coat feels a bit lopsided now. Still, maybe a smaller organizer would work better. Most of my coat pocket contents are things that aren't used often (ie. spare keys, chapstick, zippo fluid refill, meds, wipes, and bandaids). Seems these things would fit well in a nice small organizer like the Micro. They fit okay in the CC Organizer, but there's wasted space in it. If I filled the organizer to capacity, the one side of my jacket would really be loaded down!

17. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

Another reason why mini pouches like this, in this application don't really work that well. Of course that's just my humble opinion..

18. ADK031

ADK031 Loaded Pockets

Chopper, I bought that patch on lightfighter.net
    Tread lightly over there, your intro is your first post or you will get hammered. After that head over to the MWR sub-forum. You'll find it there.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've got a CC diplomat, too. Not a very well organized pocket organizer. One side only has a pocket. I tried this recently, too, but the organization left a lot of little things loose in the clamshell.
    Sounds like we need one little organizer on each side to even us out.

20. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Exactly; that's what my kit is, seen in post #662 ... micro on one side, cell phone on the other. Sometimes they go into jacket pockets, and balance nicely. Other times, both rear pockets of jeans.

I've not had good luck with organizers even as large at the mini, they get too heavy and are too large for easy carry (as I have no cargo pants). I'm a micro guy. I now own 3 of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.