1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC-pack (warning, lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by jma78, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Here´s what i´ve been working on lately..

I call it "edc-pack", because i´m going to be carrying it daily.. When it comes to size, it´s a 1 day pack.

The design is pretty much similar to my two previous packs.. A dedicated laptop/hydration compartment, main compartment, front compartment, which has a "stash pocket" underneath it. My last 3 day pack is too big for edc use, and my previous 1 day pack turned out to be a tad too small, so this was the answer :)

This was supposed to be an easy, quick project using the techniques i´ve already used before.. But nooo.. I just had to start messing around with the design, so this turned out to be the most difficult project so far. (the backpanel is done differently than what i´ve done before)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shoulder straps are not sewn into the top seam, although it might appear so

[​IMG]

frame sheet compartment under the backpanel.. It has a 4" velcro closure, so that piece of 2" webbing (with velcro closure) is pretty much an unnecessary precaution

[​IMG]

Main compartment.. That´s a Tad gear admin panel on the other side, not one of my own stuff.. I couldn´t decide whether to attach it with malice clips or to hang it from looplocs with those strips of velcro, so i decided to do both. There´s a 4x4 pals matrix in the top part of the compartment, as well as looplocs hanging from the top seam. velcro closure under that zippered pouch

[​IMG]

Laptop compartment.. That´s a 13,3" laptop so there´s plenty of room there.

[​IMG]

Zippered pocket in the front pack.. I will mostly be using it for storing packs of smokes so i didn´t bother with the organization... Now that i think about it, i could have added some velcro inside of the pocket.. maybe next time.

[​IMG]

Just a cool zipper pull :)

[​IMG]

"stash pocket"

[​IMG]

zippered pocket under the stash pocket. Fits a magazine/legal size documents

[​IMG]

Front compartment. zippered pocket under those two pockets (which are measured to fit an "edc-insert" that i use, and a R&R notebook cover). The opposite side is lined with velcro

[​IMG]

shock cord retention on the side of the front compartment

[​IMG]

Zippered side pockets.. Granted; the fact that they are only 3 Pals wide, limits their use.. Making them 4 pals wide was out of the option, because i wanted to keep the size of the pack under control.. But hey, they are better than nothing, right? I keep items that i like to carry daily, but don´t use all that often in those, such as flashlight, a pack of ibuprofen and whatnot.. The PMag is just for size reference.. I could close the zipper with Pmag inside the pocket, although it would be a tight fit.

[​IMG]

Sleeve pockets under the zippered ones.. Fits a 0,5 liter bottle or a can of soda, beer, etc.. which is just what they are meant to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a bit carried away with the number of pictures, sorry about that :)

odg and Cornholio2188 like this.
  2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

That is an awesome bag! Well done! As always, your product looks to be of top quality. I'm a big fan of the stash pocket. Is there an opening or pass-through for a hydration tube? Also, what color do you use for webbing, buckles, etc. to match Multicam? I've drawn up my own plans for a day/hydration pack (albeit much less glamorous), but I'll probably do a solid color such as black or coyote since Multicam is kind of expensive in small quantities.

3. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks man!

Mee too, i started incorporating it to my designs 3 packs ago, and will do so in the future as well because it´s so darn usefull.

Oh, forgot to mention; No. 95% of the time i will be carrying a laptop in this.. And besides, when i actually have a need for a hydration bladder, i´m wearing my combat gear and another pack.. This is just a tacticool civvy-pack :) so i left out the pass though.. If needed, i´ll just run it from between the zipper pulls.

I use ITW´s tan hardware... They are a bit better match with MC than their coyote brown stuff (which wouldn´t look too bad either) For the webbing i use Jontay´s medium CB.. But the beauty of multicam is that you might as well use OD webbing, thread, etc.. Like in my pack; my supplier was out of stock on cb zippers, so i used OD ones, which work just fine.

Well yeah.. Multicam IS more expensive.. but you only need it about 1,5 yds for a project like this.. So it will only cost you like 20$ more.

4. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

I mean, if a multicam pack is what you would really like to have, and you are already investing 10-20 hours of your time for the pack, then why not pay a little extra $ to get that "perfect" pack?

5. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Brilliant, thanks for sharing your work ;D

6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Good point. I was about to make some excuses, but then thought, "hey, why not". Guess I'll be shopping around for some MC now :)

7. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Nuphoria!

Haha, good choice, sir:)

8. metro177

metro177 Loaded Pockets

that's nice man!
    I hate you. (in a good way)
    technical question: are the strap sewed under the 4in velcro of the sheet compartment? if yes, are "backed" with webbing (where sewed i mean)?
    hope to not disclose your secrets :)
    cheers Paul

9. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Metro!

No big secrets here:) Yeah, the straps are sewn under the 4" velcro, with a webbing on the other side to increase the durability, although i bet it would hold just as well without the webbing. At first i was going to sew the straps into the upper seams, like many commercial packs are made, but that idea went out of the window pretty fast.. I just wouldn´t trust the construction if it were made like that. I always sew the straps for at least 3" to the backpanel with double box-x´s, which will make it virtually indestructible..

10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Nice job on the bag and the pictures say it all.

11. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Nice job jma. Don't worry about having too many pics!, Bring 'em on.

12. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

wow… just wow.

you sir have some amazing skills.

13. BriteLumens

BriteLumens Loaded Pockets

Nice bag. Thanks for sharing

14. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys!:)

15. BriteLumens

BriteLumens Loaded Pockets

Do you know what is the volume of this bag?

16. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Nope.. I guess i could calculate it from it´s dimensions, but i suck at math:)

I´d sayd 30-35 liters is pretty close..

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Awesome work, again. You make absolutely fantastic packs!

I eat math for breakfast, math is delicious! From the pics, I'd guesstimate 22-23 liters for the main pack and 6-7 for the smaller part. Provided your webbing is up to spec. :)

18. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Valolammas!

yeah, i´d say around 30 liters, give or take a couple of liters..

19. bigworm

bigworm Loaded Pockets

Ditto!! These picture are great. I have two words for your work, WOW and WOW!

20. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

Thanks bigworm!:)