1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC on X-mas day?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by nezza1694, Nov 15, 2008.

1. theChipmunk

theChipmunk Empty Pockets

Good man! My dad helped make that! What do you drink? Black Bush? 16 year old?

Anywho, I had a wee play with my LED Lenser P7 (it's 08:55 in Northern Ireland) and managed to comprehensively blind myself for around a minute after deciding to shine it in my direction. I'm pleased to report that you actually shouldn't ignore the safety warning about not looking directly into the beam!

Unfortunately, due to the Royal Snail, my Victorinox Classic Alox never did arrive, so that won't be on my EDC list for today... :(
    I'll EDC my SwissCard, my 3" lock-knife, my new P7 :)D) and anything else I need, I can grab from my backpack since we're at home. I may EDC some other stuff if the presents are good!!! *Fingers crossed*

Merry Christmas, everyone!

theChipmunk

2. MagicDot

MagicDot Loaded Pockets

..mmm. 16 y/o black bush.. I like the Black label myself..

3. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Today, as well as taking my EDC bag to my Sisters, I was carrying:-
    my Boker CLB Direkt cilpped to jeans pocket
    CRKT AG Russell Sting bootknife clipped IWB at right hip :-X
    ASP 24" expandable baton in right hand pocket of my Berghaus RG1 Insulated jacket. :-X

I had to go and collect my gran from her flat near city centre Manchester, and, though the flats are nice & elderly-friendly (stairlifts, warden, entryphones etc) the surrounding area is well......CRAPPY. Looked like lots of Chavs, hoodies & smack-heads everywhere, so my extra er...."equipment" was taken in case I had trouble whilst getting my gran in & out of my car (shes a bit unsteady on her feet).
    Anyof the local pond-life trying to steal anything from me or my car wouldve got the got news with the ASP. ;D

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

After many delays and a missed flight (THANKS, front-desk people at that hotel the airline put me up in, for not giving me a second wake-up call as I requested!!! :rant: ), I arrived home late last night and promptly crammed my pockets FULL of just about every knife and widget I own. :D

Once I regained my senses, I pared things down a bit. It sure feels great to have a knife in my pocket again! :woohoo:

Currently, I have:

Gerber EAB (in 5th pocket of jeans)

Right Front Pocket:
    * Endura Wave

Left Front pocket
    * Zippo w/ Z-plus insert
    * Loggerhead Tools pocket screwdriver w/ bits
    * Atwood Tac Strap w/ G3 Prybaby tucked in it

Attached to Tac Strap:
    * Pill fob w/ Advil
    * Toothpick holder
    * Peanut lighter
    * LM Squirt P4
    * Pico Pen
    * Sliver Gripper tweezers
    * Hex bits (formerly kept for Atwood BottleBug, but after replacing it with the G3 Prybaby, I keep them for the Loggerhead screwdriver)

The load will change a bit when I wear my cargo pants (more pockets, more stuff), but for jeans, this is it. Oh, and my wallet. My poor, empty wallet... :broke:

EDIT: Got to dig up my Photon and get it in there someplace, as well as find a spot to carry my Nitecore Defender without it banging against other stuff.

5. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Just hanging at home, with all my wife's family around:

RFP: Spyderco Military
    LFP: Ra Twisty 100

Lot's of fun in pulling the Millie out to rip open the kid's presents, scaring away all the women and getting envious and amazed looks from the men. :p

6. 2slim

2slim Empty Pockets

Since I have a 3 and 10 year old and most of my stops involved families with kids I had to expand to my special X-mas EDC. Besides my normal Kershaw Blur, money clip ( I don't do wallets), house / truck key with Swisstool, Zippo, and Zebra Compact I loaded up with a small folding razor knife from Home Depot, A Stanley pocket double ended screwdriver (similar to those on Countycomm), a miniature set of side cutter pliers, 8 AA and 8 AAA batteries.

Whoever decided it would be fun to watch a small child scream and cry impatiently as a parent spent 10 minutes trying to remove 12 feet of plastic covered wire twisties, a roll of industrial tape, clear rubber bands, and thick impenetrable plastic clamshell cases from a $5.00 toy ought to seriously have their hindquarters removed! :evil:

Those of you with kids know what I mean. These donkey voids that design toy packaging simply cannot have kids of their own.

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean about the wire-ties. I bought my nephew a "Baby Laptop" & that was held in place with 3-4 wire ties that were ridiculously strong. I accidentally dropped one tie on the floor & my sisters insane Beagle, Billie, tried to eat it! :brickwall:

Thankfully I managed to get it out of her mouth.

8. theChipmunk

I understand exactly why you carry that, but how legal are they? I'm not criticising you, I genuinely want to know. I considered one a while back, but I sort of automatically assumed they'd be illegal. I can't even risk something that is a legal grey-area, because, at my age (17), if I ever did get stopped and searched, they'd arrest me for sure...hell, I'm not even sure the letter opener in my SwissCard is entirely legal!

theChipmunk

9. Liberty1992

Liberty1992 Empty Pockets

there is no age limit to carry a knife. i am 16 and i carry 3 knives (2 at least). I'm not sure about the baton though, i think billy clubs are illegal but expandable batons aren't.

10. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

assuming you are in the UK, then its illegal to sell, offer for sale, lend, hire, import, or give as a gift, a telescopic baton (and I think the same aplies to purpose built fixed varieties). the only way to legitimately own one is to have owned it pre-june 2004. (a similar law applies to flick knives, although the date is different)

carrying one is also illegal, unless you happen to be working as a police officer, in the millitary or simmilar and have suitable permission (the batons would be issued in these cases)

there is no age limit on carrying a knife in the uk, a three year old is subject to the same rules as a 60 year old.
    Theoreticaly, the blade in your swisscard is a fixed blade and so you need a legaly valid reason to carry it, as you would for any fixed blade, locking blade, or non-locking blade over three inches. but generaly speaking the police will not arrest you for carrying a swisscard, unless they realy want to get you anyway.
    Doesn't stop me carrying one

If you are in any country other than the UK, then the law may be compleately different.

standard disclaimer: take all internet law advice with a pinch of salt, DEFINATELY don't rely on this advice against the rozzers, and this has as much value in a court of law as the advice of your imaginery friend.

11. theChipmunk

Yep, but you're in the US of A, whereas I'm in the UK. The difference is that you can carry whatever you want, but, regardless of age, in the UK if you carry a knife longer than 3" or lockable and without reasonable explanation or in a public area, you will get jailed. I'm not joking about this. My friends and I are sensible and try hard not to break the law, however stupid it is, but many others think they can get away with it and fail miserably.

The law is admittedly meant to keep us safe and I would hope that a good police officer would overlook a SAK or similar, but you can't risk carrying the illegal stuff... :(

Mind you, some of the things are insane - read the bottom of this document: direct.gov.uk

You could twist that to mean home tuition - so a teacher could come in and search you in your own house (theoretically, although several other laws would frown on that...). They'd get a surprise if they tried it on me while I'm in my own home! :D

Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic...although a future tense xmas topic has sort of died, really...

Still interested in hearing whether or not extendible batons are UK-legal, though!

theChipmunk

12. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Well, I carried my modified EDC to Florida on the 22nd -- all carry-on, with the essentials in my fairly new ScotteVest. Obviously, no sharps, though I could have used knife and scissors, and no tools, ditto on the need for a phillips head. I concur with all of you who lamented the state of today's toy packaging. Bought an "extra" present for my youngest grandson -- a frontloader/backhoe machine, and it was welded to the packaging with about 20 tiny phillips head screws and about a hundred of those afore-mentioned twisties (that seem to be embedded in the toy and extremely difficult to remove for some reason). I put 2/3 of my keychain on the extendable chain in the vest (the other 1/3 won't go through security). And I stuck a paperback and all my flight/car/hotel reservation paperwork in the vest's deep pockets. As you can imagine, I had my cell phone, iPod, SF Backup, camera, wallet, sunglasses, pen, and write-in-rain pad installed in various pockets (still looking for optimum placement). All in all, the SEV worked great for air travel -- I just took it off and dumped it in a basket for screening -- and the convenience of the "bud buckets" and internal wiring made settling back with music on my new iPod Touch a joy. Weather in central east coast Florida was cool, so the vest wasn't too warm to wear every day.

My Canon camera got the most use (of course).

It was a good visit, but I confess I was pathetically happy to get back home, open my safe, and load up with the rest of the non-PC EDC gear!

13. theChipmunk

*Sigh* Oh well, predictable enough... Thanks for the info, though!

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. If push came to shove, I'd tell them that it's not a knife as such, it's a letter-opener, which is actually what Victorinox sells it as... [see here]

At least my forthcoming Classic Alox should be completely legal. Mind you, it's very legal at the minute, as I ordered it ten days ago and it still hasn't turned up! You can't get much more legal than a non-existent knife!!!

theChipmunk

14. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

My brother-in-law and I were both well prepared for opening packages this Christmas. He had his LM Wave and I had my LM Core and Spyderco Dodo. There were a couple of flashlights in pockets and another arrived in a stocking (hung by the chimney with care, no less). The blister packs didn't stand a chance!

15. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Legally, there'd be NO way for me to justify carrying an ASP. I certainly wouldnt EDC it (I used to EDC a "cheapy" Kevlar on in the CCW compartment of my bag, though!)
    I was going into a potentially dangerous/unpleasant environment on Xmas Day so felt it was worth the risk.
    As it happens, the Sting Bootknife AND Boker locking-folder were also highly illegal to carry, so, there you go.

16. theChipmunk

Fair enough. I wouldn't like to have been the scum who had a go at you... ;D

Have a Happy New Year!

theChipmunk

17. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Batons are illegal to carry (expandable or otherwise) but legal to own if you have one already (I have 3-4 of em).
    I certainly wouldnt EDC one, but WOULD (and Have!) carried one where I deemed it "neccessary"!