1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC of the mind, or the mental tool-kit

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by filjos, Aug 12, 2012.

1. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

What do you EDC in your head? Have you sought out any training, knowledge, or other goodies that are stored in your noggin for potential use in an emergency or other EDC-specific scenario? I know we carry a lot of crap in order to be prepared for the unforeseen, but as it has been pointed out in the First Aid forum, a well trained person with little to no equipment is often of more use than all the gadgets you can carry if you don't know how to use them.

Since I'm asking, I'll start. I recently recertified as an EMT even though I'm not pursuing EMS as a career, simply so I would have the extra training (maybe just the extra confidence) to deal with medical situations. I'm trying to get in on my local CERT, but the open training session they had this last spring was held while I was in the hospital, so I'm having to work to get in now.

I train kinda/sorta regularly in Jook Lum Praying Mantis Kung Fu (used to be a lot more regularly, but health issues have gotten in the way of that temporarily). Also I have tried to learn whatever I can about engines so that I could hopefully diagnose and fix any simple car trouble long enough to get myself to a more experienced mechanic. I know that I won't learn enough from one session to be of any real use, but I bought a Groupon a short while ago for a flight lesson at the local muni airport. Thought it would be fun, and hey, you can always learn something if you pay attention.

I haven't been to the range in a while, but I have taken some advanced pistol classes and I'd like to start shooting competitively for the practice. It was a few years ago, but I had some advanced driving instruction as well, and I've spent some time on the track recently to hone those skills.

So what do you do to prepare your mind?

reppans likes this.
  2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I memorize emergency numbers in the case that I don't have them handy (in my wallet or cell phone's address book).

I've practiced martial arts since the age of 5. I haven't been very regular about it, but it's better than nothing, no?

I'm always trying to improvise with things I have on hand - find another use other than the intended purpose for things that I carry. This is where the Tin o' Stuff shines! :p

I also try my best to keep up-to-date with first aid techniques, as well as CPR. :)

What else... haha I don't know if anybody else has done this, but whenever I daydream in class, it's always some weird scenario where I save the class from some gunman. :oops: I don't do it purposely, it's just something that I found I'd always did ever since grade school.

filjos likes this.
  3. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

What's the "Tin o' Stuff"?

And I think we have all totally done the daydreaming about saving everyone thing. It's a good way to mentally prepare for what you hope never happens. I think so anyway.

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

filjos likes this.
  5. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Your thread topic brought to mind that bit by Heinlein in Time Enough for Love:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

sungame, xtrajack, whoozle and 6 others like this.
  6. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

I had that exact passage in mind, and have thought about it often since reading it many years ago. It rides shotgun in my mind with something that I once read from Jeff Cooper who had a similar list that included a few different things like "ride a horse, shoot a rifle, fly a plane, drive a stick"...etc.

7. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

It's weird but I evaluate rooms, where the exits are, if I am in a big building or large city I remember landmarks in case I get lost. For example, on Saint Patricks day my girlfriend and her sister and I went to downtown Pittsburgh I made sure everyone had everyone's numbers on paper in their wallets and remembered the general area where we were parked by the type of buildings and signs in case we were separated due to drunkness, riot, psycho rampage, terrorist attack, ect. The vice president was there.

I like to observe people and pretend I am sherlock holmes, see how many things I can guess about who they are judging from what they wear or how they conduct themselves. I try to pay close attention to my body language. I like to overhear conversations. I know I am weird. I think it's important to be aware of your surroundings and happenings both locally and abroad.

I don't really have any extensive training or certifications on anything except I read a lot into international politics and have email updates on breaking news for my work computer should anything happen or I see a trend before it happens I can be prepared. I would like to start taking some basic medical training though, I know enough survival things I think I could get by in the bush for a couple days but I am no NAVY seal or bear grylls. I do try and learn troubleshooting for various scenarios, mechanical, electronic.

I don't know if any of that counts.

8. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

I do the same. When I was younger I read one of the Sherlock Holmes stories where he identifies a suspect by the type of mud on their shoes, as that soil type is only found in one place in England. Ever since then I've tried to pick up on the subtle details that people will give you if you just observe and listen. There is so much to learn.

And I wouldn't worry about not being Bear Grylls. I don't think I've ever seen his show, but from what I can gather he is fond of unnecessarily crawling through mud and drinking urine. Crawling through mud and drinking urine is no way to go through life.

LausDeo likes this.
  9. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I think creativity is the best mind edc... it lets us replace things and come up with new solutions to things. Without it, MacGuyver would be a doofus with a pocket full off crap.

Aleister, filjos and mooshisho like this.
  10. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

I found the Jeff Cooper quote: “What should a young male of 21 know, and what should he be able to do? There are no conclusive answers to those questions, but they are certainly worth asking. A young man should know how this country is run and how it got that way. He should know the Federalist Papers and de Tocqueville, and he should know recent world history. If he does not know what has been tried in the past, he cannot very well avoid those pitfalls as they come up in the future. A young man should be computer literate and, moreover, should know Hemingway from James Joyce. He should know how to drive a car well--such as is not covered in Driver’s Ed. He should know how to fly a light airplane. He should know how to shoot well. He should know elementary geography, both worldwide and local. He should have a cursory knowledge of both zoology and botany. He should know the fundamentals of agriculture and corporate economy. He should be well qualified in armed combat, boxing, wrestling and judo, or its equivalent. He should know how to manage a motorcycle. He should be comfortable in at least one foreign language, more if appropriate to his background. He should be familiar with remedial medicine. These things should be accomplished before a son leaves his father’s household.”

It's a bit much. Col. Cooper had high expectations I guess, but thinking about it, those would all be wonderful skills to have, and I wouldn't mind if I could cram them all into my son's head by the appropriate age. But I'm a realist too. It's a nice list, I guess.

xtrajack, texasboy and LausDeo like this.
  11. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

You really can learn so much by just observing! It sounds cliche but people tend to "wear" who they are. Some are easier than others but I can usually deduce a couple of things and I feel like if I am making it a point to look than I have some tiny miniscule advantage or inside knowledge over others who are not.

Body language is another interesting one, if you pretend you are always in front of a mirror you pay a lot of attention to your body language, there are so many studies on how we communicate with body language, sometimes it helps show confidence, makes you more approachable and even persuasive. Sitting with your arms crossed and a frown on your face is less likely to get results you want.

filjos likes this.
  12. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Www.artofmanliness.com is a great resource for this type of thing (for men anyways, I am sure there are female equivalents out there ladies), a lot of great articles.

13. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I have had some firearsm training, some DT, and first aid. Ive actully been through a hostage negotiation class. All that was for work. I work in a jail so I feel like I become better at detecting bull :censored: every day. Due to a past job I have a farley good(but slowly declining) knowdlge base of care electronics and repair, I am fantastic at taking interiors apart. Other then that I try to educate my self as much as I can in as many thigns as I can, latley my taste has been in physics, so much so imn thinking of peersuing a degree in the field. I also read abotu as many thigns as I can. i have never hunted or farmed but i feel i have adecent enough grasp on the ideas that i could manage to pull both off in a real pinch.

filjos likes this.
  14. HybridMomentsPass

good lord...
    EDC overkill guys, "of the mind"

I EDC how to tie my shoes
    I EDC how to open a door
    I EDC the order of the days in a week
    I EDC how to wipe my butt
    I EDC how to turn the microwave on
    I EDC how walk
    I EDC how to read a watch, digital
    I EDC how to read a watch, analog
    I EDC how to put a shirt on
    I EDC where my bed is located
    I EDC how to crank my truck
    I EDC how to clip my toenails
    I EDC how to open the blinds to windows
    I EDC how to lie down on a couch
    I EDC how to turn the water on in the shower
    I EDC how to turn a lightswitch on
    I EDC how to do a pushup
    I EDC how to speak English
    I EDC the way to get to my job
    I EDC how to wear a backpack
    I EDC how to throw a baseball
    I EDC how to scratch my belly when it itches
    I EDC trim my beard
    I EDC how to adust a hat to fit my head
    I EDC where i parked my motorcycle(s)
    I EDC how to work the television remote
    I EDC how to operate my calculator
    I EDC the color of my flashdrive
    I EDC the names of my favorite movies
    I EDC how to navigate to EDCforums.com
    I EDC what my friends look like
    I EDC where the postoffice is located
    I EDC that fire is hot
    I EDC that midnight is at 12am
    I EDC how to make a fist
    I EDC how to hug
    I EDC where I keep my Q-tips
    I EDC that I should brush my teeth after each meal
    I EDC which state I live in
    I EDC how ridiculous this topic is.

15. filjos

filjos Loaded Pockets

I hope typing all of that out made you feel good. :)

Last edited by filjos, Aug 13, 2012
  16. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

NATO alphabet.

That's all that really comes to mind when I think about it.
    On the other hand, my head is a repository for all kinds of useless information so I never know what I know until I need to, if that make any sense.

Pro:
    I absolutely murder at trivia night.

Con:
    I say the strangest things.

xtrajack, kd7dvd and filjos like this.
  17. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I fail to see that as a con, I love pulling weird stuff out of nowhere.

18. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Great topic and something that is so important but always taken for granted.

I've always had this really weird thing going since I've been a kid - I seem to only enjoy (stick with) sports, hobbies and activities that have some sort of secondary disaster, emergency, preparedness function to them. Golf, tennis... I can play decently but I just can't get into it. It's not like I'm paranoid or a hard core prepper or anything... it's just the way I am.

I was brought up skiing since I could walk and that led to a bunch of lean-to-turn speed sports like ice hockey, cross country skiing, skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, mountain bikes and motorcycles (my real passion)... all of which could be the ultimate in transportation depending upon the circumstances.

I had an air rifle as a kid and that lead to a CCW permit, a collection of firearms, bows, air rifles and now my most recent shooting sport... slingshots!

I was a hiker/backpacker/bicycle camper in my youth and still do some of that but now got into RVing (getting old, ya know), which has interestingly taught me quite a bit of how my house really works, not to mention being a perfect bug out vehicle and useable second home.

Also swam a lot as a kid which lead to lifeguarding summer jobs, snorkeling and SCUBA, and even kayaking - I think I can still swim 50m underwater on a single breath (original Poseidon Adventure anyone?).

Lastly, I did a few years of gymnastics in middle school and that is amongst the best training I could imagine in an emergency situation, and has saved my butt countless times falling from the above mentioned speed sports. Not to mention that, along with a little rock climbing experience, will let you climb your way out of anything. I think I can still do a standing back flip, or ride a skateboard in a handstand for couple hundred yards.... I'm over 50.

However, other than a couple years of wrestling, I unfortunately do not have any real self-defense training. Never really appealed to me since it didn't seem to be "fun" in the same sense as the sports/hobbies/activities listed above.

Sorry if I came off braggy - I hope to never have to really "need" these skills, but I'm sure glad to have them... it's fun!

filjos likes this.
  19. whoozle

whoozle Loaded Pockets

It's okay mooshisho! Whenever I step into a post office, I instantly think that those around me are enemies (link to XKCD comic). :p
    But all kidding aside, and to reply to OP, I'd like to get certified in CPR/first aid. I have a FAK but without knowing how to use the items, I might as well not have it. *shrugs*

And like LausDeo, whenever I step into a new building or room, I check out where the emergency exits are. I don't know where I read this but x% of people during an emergency (ie. fire alarm) will exit the way they came. Often they will completely ignore the other exits in the room.

mooshisho and filjos like this.
  20. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

You said that in a much nicer way than I would have. Thank you for saving me from myself. :)

mooshisho, vegassprky, Gnarly and 3 others like this.