1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC no more.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dhw46725, Nov 14, 2017.

1. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

How many have you had had a knife or watch or whatever that has been passed down and then come to find out it's worth more than just sentimental reasons. This why is my grandfather's knife, it was passed down to my father and then was given to me before he passed away. It is a Case XX 64047p made between 1940 and 1964 and I just found out last week that it is fairly rare and worth a pretty penny. I lost it a week and a half ago and found it in a pocket in the jeans that I worn that week. I was kind of sick that I had lost it but did not know it's dollar value until I was trying to replace it.

Now that I know it is very hard to replace sentimentally and financially I am going to put it away for safekeeping and give it to one of my kids before I pass away.

While it is not in the best of condition it is still solid with rust stains and nicks and dings from the many years of use that is gotten.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#1 dhw46725, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Are you going to clean it up, or would you prefer to leave it as is for sentimental reasons?

My dad was never into knives, so nothing was passed down to me, and there's nothing left from my grandfathers. My son also is not into knives, so I have to leave him other things. Maybe a grandchild will like my EDC stuff.

dhw46725 and Lellobeetle like this.
  3. Johnnyk

Johnnyk Loaded Pockets

Let me know if the grandchild plan doesn't work, because I could be your son. I'm into knives and EDC stuff! :)

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love the idea of carrying Grandpas/Dads knives.

I wouldn't do it. Too many other options. Too much to loose.

I don't shoot Grandpa's guns anymore either.

dhw46725 likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I dunno -- the bolsters and scale in this view look pretty darn good!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

dhw46725 likes this.
  6. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I have an old swiss army knife that was passed down to me. Part of me wants to clean it up/out but part of me wants to leave it like it is.

dhw46725 likes this.
  7. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

What would your grandfather or your dad want you to do with this knife?

Mine would say, use it or sell it if you don't want it, maybe someone else likes it more.

Well, not everyone's dad is the same but I guess I'd try to clean it, or even better as you're in the US, send it to Case and let the refurbish it.
    At least my grandfather would be more honored if his tool serves me well instead of being a safe queen.

dhw46725, muldoon1987 and Stranger like this.
  8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have a Wenger SAK model named Trout. It came with a small trout painted on the red scales. I was in the third grade when I bought it, carried it everyday (EDC) for 20-25 years before becoming afraid I'd finally lose it. It's a precious item to me.

I replaced it with a Leatherman Juice S2, but only carried that for a year because of the weight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dhw46725 and muldoon1987 like this.
  9. muldoon1987

muldoon1987 Empty Pockets

My wife recently found in a box under our bed the knife my grandfather carried for years. It's an Old Timer 80t that was in pretty rough shape. I decided to clean and oil it and to carry it occasionally. I just feel like it was made to be used and when my son goes off to college next year I'm sending it with him.

dhw46725 and Adahn like this.
  10. dhw46725

dhw46725 Loaded Pockets

Ive thought about having it refurbished but didn't know that they did it. I will check into that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Adahn likes this.
  11. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Obviously not everyone feels the same, but I would argue that an heirloom, especially a practical one, is far more likely to be cherished if it is in usable condition.

dhw46725 likes this.