1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC network/telecom bag needed (enclosed)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by gcbailey, Jan 3, 2010.

1. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I've been doing networking and IT for ages. I started out with a cordura bag that had two main sections, with tool 'pallets' in one and some pockets for paperwork in the other, and large pockets on the outside. (something like this - http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/SoftSided-2Section-Zipper-Tool-Case-185x1125x45-893.aspx)

That worked OK, but then I started flying, and had to check my tools, so I got a hard case, with a pallet in the lid, and one that lays over the lower portion of the box.
    It's pretty close to this - http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/Attache-Type-RotoRugged-Tool-Case-Wheeled-1775x14x105-862.aspx - It looks like the same manufacturer.

It took me months to figure out how to pack everything in both secure and accessible, but I've been using hard now for over ten years. It has a collapsing handle and wheels, but I never use them. It is pretty heavy (40 lbs?), and I wouldn't want to haul it up a ladder, but it never fails to impress a client when you've got EVERYTHING laid out and in its proper spot. A couple of the tool pockets are starting to wear pretty badly, and I had to replace both the latches after about 5 years, when a TSA agent rifled through it and failed to get everything put back so the lid would close, then attempted to latch it anyway. They'd already worn thin, and just snapped - I got it off the luggage conveyor in one gob of boxing tape, with a letter inside explaining how the TSA wasn't liable - but the contents were all there. I think the replacement latches are a bit more stout.

I've never had anything break inside it or get stolen from it - and seeing an open pocket helps remind me to go find a missing tool.

The contents are pretty extensive, and include a Fluke 77 multimeter and a Fluke One-touch network assistant, and a couple mini-tackle boxes of screws and connectors, along with the standard assortment of crimpers, punch down tool and regular hand tools. I suppose I should post some pictures some day, but I don't know if there would be enough interest - *I* don't even carry the thing EVERY day.

I got mine at Specialized Products - note that they have a pretty extensive selection of tool cases and bags.

Also, the box has locking latches and a luggage-style combo lock on it. Both are pretty basic, but enough to stop the casual thief - and they sure won't get into it with a pocket knife.

I don't think it is water-sealed, like the Pelican cases, but it does have metal piano hinges and lid supports, and metal all the way around the edges where it opens - I think it is stronger that a Pelican, and would probably be harder to pry open.