1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC my setup - Wish list... Need oppinion!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by gstojinovic, Jun 14, 2010.

1. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

While ago I have stumbled upon EDC community, and general idea of EDC. I have always been a "gadget freak" :boing: and loved those small multipurpose things that can save your life (or at least save a day). Starting with SAK (when I was kid and in boy scout's), and then herd about multitools, LM, and.... Well all the rest. Sadly living in Serbia has it's downsides (besides common known ones that is) :sigh: and we do not have any market for this stuff, only some Buck, Fallkniven, and some other knife brands mainly targeted at hunters and fisherman's. Just recently we got LM dealer here, but he charges some :evil: prices. At the moment I'm waiting for some reply from US :nervous: in order to try to get some of this excellent gadgets :drool: and at last.... :pop: :boing: enjoy!!
    Now I really need some help, i have put down my wish list based upon reviews, my (humble) knowledge, and this forum. Basically I don't need heavy duty tools, just ones that i can carry around to help me in day to day situations. Just to mention, I spend lot of time outside (urban - industry environment) due to the line of job (B.Sc. Mechanical engineer team manager in demolition and recycling of metal, leading a team for demolition constructions higher than 3m = 9feet if I remember correctly) and living in hostel's where one can always find something to fix, and being outside has it's own challenges, together with that I'm hedonist and like to be prepared for any situation.

Knowing that, please do advise upon my choice of EDC to be ordered from US (keep in mind I have choose things to be also cost effective):

1. BUCK X-Tract FIN - primary blade and then some, already bought it

Key chain EDC:

1. Cable key ring - organizing stuff
    2. S-biner #1 (pack of two) - organizing stuff
    3. Nite Ize K-Rack - organizing stuff
    4. Gerber artifact - pry tool
    5. Uncle Bill's silver tweezers
    6. Peanut lighter
    7. Leatherman Squirt S4
    8. Leatherman Squirt P4
    9. Swiss+Tech Micro-Plus 8 in 1
    10. Swiss+Tech Utilikey
    11. Boker credit card knife
    12. Boker keycom CLB
    13. Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 190-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)

All around 130USD... So I'm open for suggestions and advising...

Over the top of this my next purchase will be LM Wave!

:ty:

2. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

You have too many things that do the same thing. Redundancy is one thing, but four mini-multitools is silly. Additionally the release of the PS4 from Leatherman makes it entirely unnecessary to carry 7 and 8, as the PS4 has both scissors and pliers. With the PS4 you can get rid of 9 and 10. I guess you can keep the Artifact for prying and cutting, but if you do that you can get rid of 11 and 12. I would also recommend a smaller light, a Quark Mini, Preon, Photon Freedom or an Arc AAA-P will serve you better. Same with the organizers. You have too many. I think the cable ring will work all by itself.

3. gstojinovic

Thanks!!

I really did not mentioned that those are 2 (two) EDC keychain setups... One would have LM, and other one (gift to son) would accomodate swiss+tech. Boker is there for backup. Thanks again for the light suggestion, I'll keep it in mind!

4. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

That is totally different. Still the ps4 solves many problems.

5. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

As Rawls said, ONE good multitool can lighten the load. I don't know what all the available options for your area could be. But I bet my EDC on Swisstools. They are THE most rust resistant, and useful setup of multi-functional tools available in my humble opinion. I live in a high humidity, high temperature environment so I am most definitely biased. Slightly but definitely smaller and lighter would be the Swisstool Spirit. Both the Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit can be ordered with some variations in tools and applications.
    And before I forget...:welcome:...to the forum!

6. gstojinovic

@ Lord Bear - TNX!! :ty:

I have rethink my setup, having your suggestions in mind, and I have come to this:

1. A&P cable keyring
    2. CC micro widgy pry bar or Gerber Artifact - any thoughts
    3. Uncle Bill's silver tweezers
    4. CC SS peanut lighter
    5. LM squirt PS4
    6. Boker Subcom (just like this :censored: blade)
    7. Swiss Tech Micro-Plus 8-in-1 (same like No6, and it looks so cool on keychain)
    8. LRI FMW Photon Freedom LED Key chain Micro-Light, White Beam

So reduced a bit, and think it cover all bases.... :whee:

As for my son, it will be almost same....

7. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i agree with lord bear i also live in fl. tons of heat and humidity will make blades and tools rust in a heartbeat.. i would reccommend any victorinox swiss tool over any leatherman.. better grade steel..polished handles and will last alot longer than a leather man.

8. gstojinovic

As heat & humidity matters, I live in moderate, continental European climate condition, so no extremes as far.

9. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

How about some kind of tinder to help start a fire (very important even in urban areas - think "earthquake, flood, civil unrest) fatwood or magnesium works well.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

How about a Fox 40 whistle for the keychain, too? For multi-tools, I would agree that something from Victorinox (either Spirit or Swisstool) would be a great investment. I wonder if they are a little easier to obtain there in Europe rather than a Leatherman.

Multi-tool (Victorinox), a small fixed blade (Mora or Becker Necker) and/or a good locking folding knife (Spyderco, Benchmade), a flashlight or headlamp that takes common "AA" (aka LR6) batteries, whistle, signal mirror, and a way to make fire (lighter, matches, firesteel).

11. gstojinovic

Both SAK and LM are easy to find here (South East Europe) although they are little bit pricey comparing with USA prices. To make an example, Victorinox SwissTool Standard found on amazon USA = around 50-60USD, and here same model is 120USD give or take 20bucks, exactly the same thing is with LM Wave... :shock: (just FYI avg. salary here is 350-400USD per month :'( )

What I am more bothered is getting stuff like FOX40, County Comm stuff, Gerber, Swiss+Tech, and a lot of other great EDC gear, not to mention knifes like Spyderco, Benchmade, Mora.... Most of this, if not all is completely unavailable here... Ok there is online, ordering, and....

But again it needs to pass some roughly crooked custom officers, postal employees, and some more hands, and eventually it get "lost", or one get to pay some hilarious custom fee and tax.... To many "maybe" if you ask me.... >:D

Tnx for fire, light and whistle idea, I'll take it under consideration.

12. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

Something for shelter

13. gstojinovic

Think not...

14. gstojinovic

After some time spent on EDC inquiry, I came out with what I believe to be my personalized next to perfect EDC setup:

1. Gerber Shard
    2. Peanut Lighter
    3. LM Squirt P4
    4. Boker Subcom
    5. Photon Freedom Keychain LED
    6. Vic Explorer

As a key chain EDC everywhere

And to fill possible operational gaps in reasonably heavy tasks:

1. Buck X-Tract Fin (as a primary blade but will switch to plane folder without tools)
    2. iTP A1 EOS Stainless Steel
    3. Vic SwisTool Spirit X

Any thoughts??