1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC Leatherman saved my :censored: big time

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by jzmtl, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I went out for a bit tonight, and since it was a short drive I didn't change to my day clothing. I grabbed my car key by the door and left, except the problem is I keep the house key on a separate ring, in my day shorts pocket...

So here I was, 11PM stuck outside my own home, have nothing but my wallet, and skeletool that I clipped to my home shorts earlier. All the doors and windows on first floor and basement were locked, second floor windows were open but I had nothing to reach them. I circled around the house thinking what to do. Then I thought, I know how the window lock works, I'll just pry open the basement window then. Sure enough, after a couple minutes of grunting they are open. Now the new problem, I have security bars on basement window that's made of half inch steel pipes...

$%&*, now what do I do. I tried to reach the emergency escape key for the grate, but my arms aren't long enough. Hey, I have my skeletool! And I keep the spare Robertson bit in my wallet! (side note, Robertson screws are the square drive oppose to cross and slot, more common than the other two in Canada) Since I installed them I know how to take them off! So I put the Robertson bit in skeletool and went to work. Many mosquito bites later, the grate finally came off!

Whew, jumped into the basement, reinstalled everything, went upstairs to unlock front door, and everything is back to normal, for now. ;D

2. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Re: EDC Leatherman saved my bum big time

That's a great story! Good thing you had that tool, and that the Skeletool actually has a robertson bit....As a fellow Canuck, I much prefer it to phillips.

Now that you've successfully breeched your own security, you may want to rethink a few things...so it won't be just as easy for a burglar with tools and time on his hands!

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yep everything will be reinforced tomorrow, and a spare key will now be kept outside somewhere. :lolhammer:

4. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Send your story into Leatherman.

5. Domanfp

Domanfp Loaded Pockets

I did almost the exact same thing, but I decided that sleeping the truck was easier.....

6. ackbar

ackbar Loaded Pockets

Perhaps a better idea would be to leave a spare set of keys with a trusted friend or neighbor. I'm just happy my Aunt/Uncle live down the street from myself.

I wouldn't worry too much about security. Most criminals will pass your home if you have any security devices. Path of least resistance right?

7. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

I'm glad that everything worked out well in the end. At least there was a lesson to be learned :)

8. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Nice story, good use of the Leatherman. I had the door lock behind me as I went out to get the mail a few years ago during the winter (30 degrees, snow on the ground, and I was in sweats and slippers). My two kids were two and three at the time, and couldn't unlock the door, and my wife was at work 30 miles away. I ended up smashing a small diamond shaped 12"x12" window in the top of the door with my elbow and reaching down inside (my arm was just barely long enough) to unlock the door.

I called my wife at work, had her pick up a 12"x12" piece of glass at the hardware store on her way home from work for around $5, and it took me 5-10 minutes to reinstall the window. I did use a Leatherman to remove the screws from the frame and put it back together.

9. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the lucky thing was if I had any other multitool it wouldn't work since none of them has robertson drive. And just a couple of days ago I thought "hey this robertson bit might come in handy, I'll keep it in my wallet". :-X

10. UNIT24UK

UNIT24UK Empty Pockets

Well done mate,a few years ago i went running just shorts,trainers on hot summer
    i had the key ticked in my sock but it got lost at some point,got home no key no one to let me in,in the end i twisted and twisted a bit of metal fencing until i had a small section then picked the bust :censored: old yale ,then the next day changed the locks just in case

11. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

I mounted one of these outside my house. I actually use it sometimes if I don't want to carry keys.

Attached Files:

12. brettmc

brettmc Empty Pockets

Spare key stashed outside has been used several times.

13. cde

cde Empty Pockets

Spare house key in the car, spare car key in the house.

14. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

great leatherman story, but (dont take this the wrong way) - i think its an overall EDC failure that you left your house without the house key, because after all, the leatherman was useful in this situation, but what would have been more useful would have been the key.

while i kind of understand the bulkiness issue, i never could grasp why people keep their car and house keys seperate, i want both on me at all times.

cheers

15. cde

cde Empty Pockets

So there is a better chance if you loss one, you don't lose both.

16. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

What a boring story -- you should have embellished a little and told us you'd been arrested ;D