1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC knife saves the day

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by ragr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ragr

ragr Empty Pockets

The media certainly credits the right people for rushing into this burning blaze and saving this little boy. However, watch the video and listen how many people shout, "Does anybody have a knife?", then watch the news conference where the off-duty firefighter credits the neighbor who happened to have a pocket knife on him and mentions how things could have turned out very differently if he hadn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/21/milwaukee.rescue/index.html

I'd love to know what the neighbor was carrying on his person that day. Situations like this are exactly why I keep my razor sharp Kershaw and my LeatherMan on me at all times. The extended tang on the SOG Seal Pup in my car is great for smashing through car windows.

Kudos to the unknown neighbor in this story and hopefully if a situation like this arises again, a fellow EDCer will be there to help out. O0

-r

2. dlunn

dlunn Empty Pockets

Awesome story....I forwarded that to all my buds who make fun of me for always carrying something sharp.

3. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I saw this! I hope it changes a few minds out there. O0 to that guy with the knife. (even though we all know they are weapons) :slap:

4. ricci5

ricci5 Loaded Pockets

i am shocked the off duty f.f. did not have a knife. when i did rescue work it seemed like we fought over whos knife we were going to use.

5. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

Note how difficult that glass was to smash out, they were really having to go at it...

6. schlemshfifty5

schlemshfifty5 Empty Pockets

I can't believe an off-duty firefighter did not have a knife...

7. ragr

ragr Empty Pockets

yeah, don't forget there was an off-duty LEO with him as well. just goes to show, some LEOs and FFs become sheep when they're off the clock!

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Lets not use the word sheep around here. This forum is for everyone as long as it is legal or in good taste.

It can be worded a different way.

9. Dodger

Dodger Empty Pockets

This may come as a surprise to you but the vast majority of people regardless of profession don't carry anything more than keys, wallet and cell phone, whether at work or not.
    Prehaps its because they don't think they need to carry anything else, and that doesn't make them sheep or anything else.

10. ragr

ragr Empty Pockets

OK, I can handle that. However, I hadn't realized that sheep was a derogatory term. :shrug: Is that how most people use it? I'm pretty sure that's not how Grossman intended it to be used when he coined the analogy.

Anyhow, BOT: I supposed I'm not too surprised some LEOs and FFs don't EDC a knife off-duty; they're people too and I imagine some would like to feel like they're not still wearing a utility belt after hours.

11. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Same in whitewater sports.

For years I had to answer the same question to dozens of fellow kayakers: Why do you carry a knife when you are on the water? To me, the answer is even more obvious as it would be on land - swift moving water and the use of ropes sometimes combine into very dangerous situations that can only be solved with a blade. Well, I patiently explained, but I rarlely had the feeling I got through to the people who asked me that, even to kayakers who are very savvy and rescue experienced otherwise, and I got lots of laughs and reactions along the lines of "that's so extremely unlikely to happen".

I have been whitewater kayaking for over 15 years now. I cut four people out of very dangerous situations. Two of those would without any doubt have died if I would have been somewhere else on the river, as absolutely no one of the dozens of people that were with them had any blade on their person.

I actually carry two knives: A scuba diving knife, and a "belt cutter" type knife. I have use both in the situations mentioned above. One person would be dead now without the belt cutter.

Of course, when I tell that to people who ask "Why do you carry a knife on the water?", they have a hard time believing me.

The ignorance goes as far as a father whose boy I just saved from drowning complained to me that I had cut his rope. No point arguing with such a person - I got in my boat and paddled away.

Sigh.

Matt

12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I carry not just one knife but at least two (just in case). I also have a fire extinguisher in the car. I even have a pair of welding gloves.

Seen too many wrecks and a few too many (though unrelated) burns. Burns are bad stuff and scare the crap outta me.

"Good job!" to the off duty LEO's a firemen and it's really nice to see there are still "regular" people willing to risk themselves to come to the aid of strangers.

13. Furface

Furface Loaded Pockets

The fireman and LEO were just not prepared. I've realized most people mentally turn off when they are not at work, be they firemen, LEO, military, whatever. They unconsciously seperate the need to be prepared off-duty from the need to be prepared on duty. That's what I love about the Boy Scout's motto - Be Prepared. Short and to the point. Not be prepared here or there. Not be prepared when on duty. Just Be Prepared. Always.

Oh yea, those that do not turn off mentally...are on this forum.

14. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

First of all, everyone in the video did an absolutely amazing job under the circumstances. No part of this posting is intended as a criticism of their heroic and quite successful rescue.

I know that many folks on here already know a thing or two about extrication but for everybody else I figured I'd share a couple of nuggets.

"In the US windshields are required by law to be made of laminated glass. Laminated glass can bend slightly under impact and is less likely to shatter than normal safety glass [like the kind in car windows]. This quality reduces the risk of injury to the automobile's passengers." That is, when they aren't trapped in a burning vehicle.

Would-be rescuers, whether they're professionals or Good Samaritans should be aware of a couple things:
    1. Laminated glass is indeed difficult to "smash out" or shatter. Firefighters are trained to use an axe or specialty extrication tool to cut around the periphery of the windshield. Hitting the center of the windshield is probably the least effective way to get it out of your way fast. Use an axe or improvised heavy object like a tire iron or the butt of an extinguisher to break the glass at the edges of windshield then pull the whole thing off/out.
    2. A spring loaded center punch or tacti-cool pen will not help you break a windshield. A knife will be useful to cut the laminate material itself once you've broken the glass, and later to cut seat belts once you're inside.
    3. Unlike tempered glass, breaking laminated glass often results in the formation of long blade-like shards that could easily cause serious injury and could potentially kill you if you're an unlucky type. This is more likely to occur if you struck the center of the windshield.

It's particularly important to note how aggressively the firefighter got water to the burned child. This was an absolutely critical action that stopped the burning process and greatly reduced the injury he sustained.

15. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

I was a top-notch scout too, but it's just 'be prepared' not 'be paranoid to the point that you've lost all touch with reality, think that dead-people are going to roam the earth, and a comet is on a head-on collision'.

:D

16. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

There is a promo vid on youtube that explains really well just how hard it is to get through windscreens:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApUSw0xsRY

They are designed to stop something you hit (like a dog or a bird) coming through your windscreen and killing the occupants. So yeah, not easy to knock through.

Its fairly regular that cases like these show up where injury and death have been prevented by pocketknives but still people dont twig in their own mind that whilst the chances are remote there is no downside to carrying a small knife even if you never use it day to day (and we all know that isnt true).

But then for 20 odd years i got by without a pocket knife and light like regular folks - i just wouldnt go back now, even in the UK where it can be weird on knives (another topic another time) a keychain knife like a Classic SAK or a Spydie Bug is soooo much better than nothing if you need to cut a seatbelt or someone with some clothing caught in an escalator etc etc.

Oh and the guy who managed to walk down one of the twin towers on 9/11 using the light from his watch should be more than enough to convince someone to carry some kind of light too, given how often we can be trapped in pitch darkness even in the day (supermarkets, skyscrapers etc, there is never enough adequate light if there is now power). Well, it should be but people dont think like that, so whatcha gonna do.

On the upside, Darwinism favours the prepared.

17. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

really? sheep?

who do you get off calling anybody sheep?

what the heck would you have done?

fumbled through your big 'ol man bag looking for just the right tac-stealth-ninja-portatool to save the day?

unless you were there or involved in some way, I suggest you drop the sheep stuff.

and no, I don't know you or anything about you. but too many people are quick to cry sheep and that comment really gets me going.

just my opinion, of course.

18. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

WORD.

A cool head, experience, and a simple willingness to take calculated risks are all more valuable tools than a physical object.

I am a paramedic and an experienced firefighter. And sometimes I...

I...

I leave my house without a pocketknife :bricks:.

Of course I try to Carry my knife Every Day, but I'll admit that I've even left my wallet and cell phone at home... and yet somehow I've managed to pull through. Before cellphones we had payphones. I guess before we had knives we had sharp sticks and big rocks.

Remember that every car, house and person on that street was a potential tool box (SOMEONE DID HAVE A KNIFE). Every garden hose is a potential fire extinguisher and every t-shirt a potential bandage. The Drunken Master and MacGyver do not have the exclusive rights to improvised weapons/tools.

Don't be so quick to point fingers at a fireman who didn't have his knife with him. His command presence was what "reminded" the individual with the knife to come forward.

19. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I chose my current SAK for a few reasons, one of which was I figured that the philips driver could smash a window at a pinch, and the saw blade could cut a belt more easily and safely than a normal blade.

20. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

ya can't smash a vehicle window with a swiss army knife!

most if not all cheesy "rescue" tools are ineffective; you'd be better off using them as a paper weight.

the firefighter used command presence to get folks thinking in the right direction, a tool became available and was used.

I always have a knife on me, but it darn sure won't break auto glass.

btw.....I am a career firefighter w/ 32 years on the job and value a cool head, clear thinking and a willingness to act more than over priced "rescue tools' that will fail when most needed.