1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EDC knife recommendations

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Carcharodon carcharias, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Knifehunt

Knifehunt Empty Pockets

I have the Rat 1 and its a great knife. The AUS8 holds up very well, and is easily sharpened.

2. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Too many people write off Aus-8 as being an inferior steel. However it may not hold an edge that well after heavy use but you can get it scary sharp and if you take care of it the blade will last a lifetime. The RAT-1 is highly regarded for its dependability and build quality.

3. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Take a good look at Civivi

4. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the RAT[​IMG]

“The rights of conscience, of bearing arms, of changing the government, are declared to be inherent in the people.”

Fisher Ames

HeadOffice likes this.
  5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I like the RAT 2 even though I'd like to try an R2D2 (RAT2 in D2 steel) some day

[​IMG]

HeadOffice, Lateck and dischu like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Count me in as a fan of AUS-8. In addition to having a RAT with that steel, I have a couple of Cold Steel and a KaBar Dozier. They sharpen up nice and are good tools. Think of AUS-8 as performing in the same class level as VG-10. Whilst neither are in league with the newer steels, they are very respectable performers - and have been so for years!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

HeadOffice and ran23 like this.
  7. HeadOffice

I have a RAT1 in D2 arriving Monday and will be fitting my latest Flytanium Brass scales...

8. Moshe ben David

I forgot. I also have 4 Boker Kalashnikov autos (3 regular, different blades and 1 mini). These are also AUS-8!

Yeah, I'm satisfied with this steel for my fairly undemanding etc needs! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. HeadOffice

I forget about my Cold Steel Ti-Lites (6" & 4"), Rajah II monster size (6"and Holdouts & 4"). They are AUS8 razors!!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

I tried a Holdout. Lock was so stiff it took two hands pressing on the lockbar. I returned it. Pity; I thought it was a cool knife.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ccwaters likes this.
  11. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I usually carry 2 knives. One is always a SAK Pioneer/Soldier and #2 varies from Case stockman to various OHO pocket clip knives. The last I bought and my favorite is the RAT II good slicer and maintains a good edge. I also have a CRKT Mirage i picked up about 20 years ago. Don't know the steel but it holds a good edge and is a slick knife. The other that gets some carry is a old Benchmade AFCK in ATS-34 great knife. Any of these knives would fit the OP criteria but may need to be sharpened more than some super steel.

Who needs super hard, super steels, just learn how to sharpen your knife !

12. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

While it is not a requirement for everyone, some including myself use a knife enough on a daily basis lesser steels don't hold up, and would require sharpening multiple times per day. Sometimes you just can't take a time out to do so. My carry is usually M390, S110v, S125V, Maxamet. I might sharpen one of my users once every couple months usually quite bit less than that. When I do have to sharpen one it does not take me any longer to sharpen then it would to do a softer steel.

There are also multiple good choices for budget knives now days sporting decent upgrades over commonly used China steels, properly hardened D2, 12c27/28, M390, S35v, are a few that come to mind. Ruike, Kershaw, Civivi, Gerber, Ganzo, Real Steel all offer some great budget knives with well done heat treats that are a good step up from Aus x, or one of the mov series of steel. Ganzo offers D2 in a properly hardened REAL D2 for around $20

It is a real joy to have such great selections of well done knives in decent quality all within a range of $20-$100ish! My choices have zero to do with my ability to sharpen a knife!

My Father had to replace his pocket knife minimum of yearly, typically 2x a year. It was pretty much a given that he'd have a pocket knife under the tree every December, and occasionally bought one himself. Sadly I don't have any of his knives, but they more often then not resembled the pictured blade by the time it was time to replace.

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David and aicolainen like this.
  13. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

I've had a few like that as well, however if its something you really like it isn't all that difficult to mod and make it a workable lock, probably more time and energy then its worth but it can be a satisfying Sunday evening project.

14. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I think if I could only have 1 EDC knife for the rest of my life and I was on a budget, it would be a Spyderco Delica. Leaf shaped blade is great, big enough, but not too big to scare folks, friendly baby blue color and VG 10 steel that holds an edge fairly well but is easier to sharpen than some of the harder, more exotic steels.

I carry a Dragonfly in ZDP 189 most days, the other ones most often in my rotation are the Delica, a SAK cadet and my newest knife, (which I really like) a Ferrum Forge Gent.